Icosa Project...

Started by Kris, March 19, 2010, 09:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedfunk

Kris

The shingles are pretty much done,,,and we got the 6ft x 5ft window in today...

Kris

started the mesh wiring...so far no cuts...ha ha...

this is the north wall....i began skirting the building with treated plywood,.and adding gravel along the structure...

Solar Burrito

My neighbor built this a few years ago. It has one tarp wall, I suspect to make it legal.

Is this also an Icosa?

Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

Kris

no..that is not an icosa...but it is in the ball park...if you look at the web site links i put above, they describe icosa's...technically speaking, my building is not a pure icosa since i added the door function..but i still consider it one.....

Kris

some new photos.....i think the rough coat of stucco will be on th is week...to much rain lately....

Redoverfarm

Kris just wondering what your interior wall covering will be on the dome portion.  It will have a somewhat indentation at each of the angled sections. 

Kris

yeah,,not sure just how i will sheet the interior dome walls just yet...actually i am not to worried about it,,as long as the building is winterized for now...the other part of the cabin will be sheeted with thin osb or plywood{most likely}....i am not a fan of drywall...
working with angles has been very interesting for my first project.......it has given me lots to think about..

Redoverfarm

Kris if you went w/drywall then you could tape it just as an inside corner only not at the 90 deg bevel.  Anything else you would use you would have to make a trim strip where the two materials meet. I hate drywall too but sometimes it is the lesser of two evils.  ;)

frazoo

I like it! [cool]  Back during the dark ages, I took three years of drafting and our first class project was designing and building a geodesic dome (we just KNEW it would be the next BIG THING in building).  finished it with seven layers of chicken wire and a thick masonry slurry.  Hope yours catches on better than ours.

frazoo
...use a bigger hammer

Kris

do you have any photos of your project...i would like to see them.....

Kris

photo of the base coat.............

Kris

not sure where my original post went..anyways,,,it was a long winter and now i am back working on the icosa dome....

just started to tile the floor, before the wood stove goes in...and then the rest of the floor will be laminate.

also a shot of the crocus that are now done for the year....

MountainDon

I merged the new topic to the old original one.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Kris

Alan Gage

Wow, I've never seen so many Pasque flowers!! I'm excited if I can find a dozen of them in close proximity around here.

Oh, nice looking project too.  :)

Alan

Kris

here is one more crocus shot,,,,there were more then i have ever seen this year..they seem to favour the top of the ridges on my property..native unbroke soil...

speedfunk

Your tile work looks nice Kris!

duncanshannon

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

Sassy

Beautiful tile work!  Neat looking cabin & love the flowers!

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Kris

thanks for the compliments........

Jeff922

Very cool.  Nice work. 
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

Kris

i started sheeting the interior with a thin plywood...i like that alot better then hauling drywall out here...

question,,,this is a shot of the wood stove area...the floor tiles are proper thickness...but i am wondering what i should do about the walls...i have thought about fireproof drywall just around the stove for the first 4ft height and the length of the tile area......any other suggestions.....the distance of the stove from the wall will be least 18 inches{is what i am thinking}....

IronPatriotTN

Take that plywood out, and then place in some concrete board behind the stove.
Then add in some tile or block and your set.