Basement perforations (ie sewer lines, H20)

Started by rdzone, February 07, 2006, 04:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdzone

Well I am in the planning phase of building a cottage.  I think my wife and I have finally agreed to build the 2 story 20' x 34' plan.  Now for the question.  I have done a lot of framing, but never any full foundations (full basement)  I have done some post and pier cabin foundations, but they aren't the same.  I am going to go with ICFs and will be taking a class on that in March, but I haven't really seen or heard anyone talk about perforations through the foundation.  I am mainly concerned with septic (leach field) and water (well) lines.  I live in Alaska and am planning on a full basement.  Do you run the lines under the footers or make provisions to have them pass through the wall some where?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

peg_688

Generally you put in a "buckout " either a box the same width as the inside of the form so you build in a "void" where you want it, at the right height or a piece of ABS / PVC pipe larger than the final water or sewer line is placed inside the form doing the same thing except you get a sleeved round hole .

On other you do not want to do is pour the concrete right around the final pipe any shift in the land / grade and the pipe would crack / snap if poured in solid , ya want it to" float" thru the hole provided.

Good luck , PEG

keyholefarmhouse

What do you use to fill the gap between the pipe and the box out?

keyhole
Catch nine pounders

glenn kangiser

Spray foam would work - and as self defeating as it seems, around here they used to let you grout it back in with cement - like nothing will shift later - it probably won't but seems to defeat the purpose.  Pipes can also be wrapped with cardboard then poured around.  The carboard makes a loose space.  Boxes can be filled with sand and poured around or over then broken out later also.

I guess you could grout close then spray or strip (round or rectangular strips premade)  foam the rest.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Like Glenn said just grout back in with a cement product like Quick plug a hydro cement product made for such work .

In a full basement situation  you should plan on a equip. type "area" to bring all your utility's in at so the rest of the basement can be used more readly.

Good luck, PEG  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .