10X14 cabin (modified)

Started by acmorris, February 16, 2008, 07:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acmorris

Thanks to all for the warm welcome on the project forum! ("We're finally on our way" post)
I actually posted this message in that thread, but, then, because I have specific questions--and not just an update--I thought it should go here instead...I'll see which works best.

Anyway, here are the plans that I'm working on:

Besides using the Enchilada Plan Kit, I'm also using Rob Thallon's book "Frame Construction" and EEBA's "Builder's Guide to Cold Climates" by Joseph Lstiburek to try to figure things out...but, of course, I've still got some questions--so any help would be much appreciated!

The one big change I'm making from the Plan Kit is that I'd like to run the roof framing long ways (so the 14' side is the gable and not the 10' side). Is this okay to do? I've reoriented the floor framing (see framing plan, below) so everything lines up, but I'm not sure if this is just a bad idea in general.

So here are the framing plans. They are definitely "in progress", but I wanted to show what I'm thinking so far. If you happen to see any "this will end up killing people" decisions, please point those out.

I'm using the wall construction from the EEBA guide...so there's 1/2" sheathing at corners, with 1" rigid insulation over it, and 1 1/2" rigid insulation everywhere else. I'm going to design the corners like shear walls...so I'm going to be doubling up studs at the edges of the sheathing, using tie-downs, etc. But I've still got to do a lot of reading before that's all figured out and drawn in detail!

Finally, here's what I've started thinking for the front (south) elevation.

There are a lot of versions because I'm trying to work out some color and trim ideas. The big blue square is going to be like a sliding barn door type cover for the big picture window to protect it when the cabin is empty.
If anyone loves or hates any of the elevations, I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks so much!
Amanda

MountainDon

Topic locked as it was duplicating this earlier thread...  which has the nice landscape view

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=4064.0

MD
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.