Cabin on rooftop of volunteer compound in Leogane, Haiti

Started by dmhhti, October 20, 2011, 10:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmhhti

Hello I am a skilled carpenter who decided to come down and volunteer with a group called All Hands Volunteers in Leogane, Haiti to rebuild schools for children. I have been down here a little bit and realized they have no place to relax and chill so I decided to build a cabin on the roof of the compound where we are housed. So over the next few weeks I will post pics and keep everybody update on the progress of this cabin. All I cant use and 2x4 bigger then 22 inches long so it becomes even more of a challenge.

glenn kangiser

Wow... that sounds interesting.  I will be looking forward to seeing some pix on that.....  Local vernacular building too if you can find some of that.  w* to the forum.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Don_P

Thanks for lending a hand to those in dire straits  [cool]
I imagine you have some engineers there, is the roof up to the building and human load?

dmhhti

It was supposed to be a 2 story disco club that survived the earthquake and they never got to build the second story. there is about a concrete i am putting the cabin on. I am going to try to build it but scraps are getting tighter since I am building schools for children and cant use anything big enough for blocking which is 22.5 or even 18 which is the size of legs of the tables for the schools. I will try to upload pics when I get a chance but the organization I am working with is always looking for construction donations to help build the schools so if anybody out of the generous of there heart would like to donate anything just send me a message and I will get you in contact with the people you need to talk to about it.

glenn kangiser

How about Cob.. clay, sand and straw - cover the top with protective material and the sides will weather well - build on a rubble base to keep water from the bottom - filled gaps with mud is OK.

Less building materials needed that way.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

dmhhti

I got the two walls up. It is made completely out of blocks. I will upload pics when I get a chance. The slope of the roof is an inch a foot which i hope will be good enough. I got top plate on to tie the two walls together. I am making progress.

NM_Shooter

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

NM_Shooter

Oh dear Lord.  I just don't know what to say, other than please do not let children in or around that. 

NM_Shooter

Quote from: NM_Shooter on October 26, 2011, 11:49:18 AM
Oh dear Lord.  I just don't know what to say, other than please do not let children in or around that. 

Is this for real?  If so, please consider building up studs by scabbing three layers of those short 2x pieces.  Don't put all the cuts along the wall in one line. 

MountainDon

dmhhti,  I have to admit that the number of joints in the studs and plates, backed by very short blocks, does raise some concerns about what might happen when the next earthquake hits. I understand there is a shortage of materials that you have access to for gratis, but I was somewhat surprised when I saw the photos.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

This really needs something more like a 2x4 between the eyes. There are many pieces of lumber in there that should have found there way into the repairs you are there to do. You are leaving a mess for someone else to either clean up or be harmed by. Local people may think this is something that can be safely emulated. In a storm it will be hundreds of nail filled missles blanketing that neighborhood. This is assuming it doesn't fall on someone first. Please take that down before you leave.

TheWire

Any chance of collecting enough blocks to nail them together in layers?  Sort of like bricks?

UK4X4

Most people in haiti have homes made of twigs tied together -plastic sheeting and if they are lucky a sheet or 2 of sheet metal.

Haiti was the poorest country in the caribean - even before the earthquake- and its been that way for years
crime and violence daily was the norm with dead bodies left in the street covered in lime

have you ever seen the boats living miami covered in dump rescued buckets -drums and bicycles piled up to the wheel house on rusted hulks- thats where they are heading -our garbage is worth money down there.

Thats quite a construction !

in comparison

Kids are normally short- the lower section looks to be 4 ft high/ adding your 18" blocks would give you 5.5 ft

make that the door side- leave the rear a 4ft - the kids won't mind

high enough for kids and allow for a much stronger structure.

if you made it high for the heat reduction think of a tarp strung from the trees to keep it in the shade.

I concur with the others it looks rather rikity ! but at least I understand where you are and what you have to work with - basicly nothing- if there are still military camped out at the airport - try and makes friends with them
to get some more packing cases/ pallets and the odd free tarp

TheWire

We had a chance to see some remote villages in Mexico & Jamaica.  It was interesting to see the tin & scrap wood homes so many people lived in.  It made me think back to Country Plans and how the most rustic of our second homes (cabins) would seem like a palace to many people in poorer countries. 

With that said, many of them seemed to genuinely appreciate what they had.

glenn kangiser

I agree with UK.

All of us here probably have better 2x4s laying around that we have rejected.

Lets look at this project as if it had to be done with next to nothing at all rather than the prescribed US standards.

Stop and think that in these places liability is not as much of an issue as it is here in the states.  Usually if someone dies from stupidity in a third world country it just strengthens the gene pool.  No one is blamed.  Here there would be fifty lawyers offering to collect for the wrongful death for a share of the take.

This is how it gets when you are down to survival with little more than your wits......

Good effort.  Be safe as you can.  Here's hoping a good bunch of salvage material comes your way.  Please continue to update us for those of us who can see reality.

rich2Vermont

I wholeheartedly agree with Glenn. You have to adjust your point of view to the locale. And not just in remote places, it's a matter of circumstance too. I've done some work on John's Island in S. Carolina for the local Gullah. Wonderful people, many of whom live in houses you're amazed haven't collapsed into a pile of dust, cinder blocks, and termites. So, we help out in rebuilding as we can, donate when we can't. Perhaps we can do the same for UK4X4.

Don_P

I wholeheartedly agree with adjusting your point of view.
You do not have to build with scraps of 2x4 because "that is the only thing that things are built of".
A few saplings trussed with tie wire would be a whole lot stronger and would not be diverting materials.

rick91351

Quote from: Don_P on November 04, 2011, 05:25:21 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with adjusting your point of view.
You do not have to build with scraps of 2x4 because "that is the only thing that things are built of".
A few saplings trussed with tie wire would be a whole lot stronger and would not be diverting materials.

Take Don idea and a few packing crates and cover with the ever popular economical blue tarp!     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Arizona Highlander

I am not trying to be a jerk or anything but if you are there to help, I suggest you help in other ways. Building a structure that will have humans in it with lumber no bigger than what you are using seems and looks VERY unsafe. I applaude the effort but maybe it can go elswhere to help people. If it can't be safe, why even build it?
Gathering info here on Country Plans while in awe of other members skills.
Goal is to start a small 15x15 in the Spring of 2015.

Alan Gage

From the size it doesn't seem too dangerous. I'm assuming from his description that it won't be much more than a shady spot outside for the volunteers to gather around and hang out. So far it looks like a bruise is the worst that would probably result from it falling down on someone.

Alan

glenn kangiser

Maybe I am misunderstanding but I thought this was for the personal use of dmhhti.

Don_P

QuoteI have been down here a little bit and realized they have no place to relax and chill so I decided to build a cabin on the roof of the compound where we are housed.

Collapsing on the rooftop would probably be the best scenario. As soon as any face has a sail on it the nail studded debris is coming off of the 2nd story. That is what I don't think is being fully appreciated. A few palm fronds and poles are one thing...

Not a big deal, reclaim the useable blocking and studs and put them back into the building stream and have a nice bonfire with the rest. Just don't leave it to blow off and harm someone.