Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.

Started by glenn-k, March 21, 2006, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peg_688

Any rough dimensions on that kitchen?  

About 14' x 14' roughly.

The counter top  on the sink wall is 123 1/2", plus the 36 " ish refer. The oven wall is 68" corner to oven 36" oven , 36 1/2" section left of oven then the 30"ish wall oven / micro draw cabinet.

Preston

The secret to being boring is to say everything.  --Voltaire

PEG688

How about vanities ,

Built sort of like tables ,

Out of Khaya ( African Ribbon grain Mahogany) ,

Before applying Maloof's Poly/ Oil,

Full extension slides ,

Does this qualify :-/ for this thread?  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Hand made by you at your shop, PEG.  That fits the bill, although it is much nicer than anything I'd ever be able to build -- not enough drive or patience. :-/

Super nice job. How many hours in a project like that? :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Design time / wood selection etc was about 10 hours.

Build time was under 35 , finish will take 3 or so then  deliver and install will add  another 6 to 8.

Fun project,  great repeat clients . 8-)

I have a window seat , reading / book shelf area to do for them as well.  

glenn kangiser

I'd be lucky to get a good start in that amount of time. :-/

I'm the chainsaw and nail gun guy. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Exceptionally nice, Paul.

Nice color of wood with the oil finish.  :)

Feels real good when you have them repeating.  8-)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

All the finish is applied now, 3 coats of Daly's Aqua Spar satin over the cured poly / oil.

Delivery day is Sat , if it's doesn't snow to much.

MountainDon

I love the detail shots like the 2nd photo above, or is it below.  ::)

Looks greeeaaat!  :)

Snow: we're waiting on a forecast that states the weather may dump a foot or more in the north mountains.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

PEG688

How about a small table refinishing project??

This is one confused table , beech legs (I think), one rail is Oak , one is Fir , the end rails are both Fir siding pieces I think, the parts that are hinged for the legs to fold out are Poplar. The top is Cherry , but not a very good match of color or grain.

It was refinished some years ago by the same owner that has it now so no worries on ruining any pattina that was really old.

I had it all apart , reglued one broken off leg tenon back on , replaced all the old screws in the top hinges and the side rails , I plugged the screw holes instead of letting them show.

The tops not quite that orange the holigen light did that , it is all right , at least I hope she likes it  :-\

Sassy

Hey, PEG, we have a table sorta like that - needs repair & refinishing  :)  Nice work, as usual!

PEG688

Glenn could do it :) Oh wait no chainsaw work , bobcat maybe , ah nah  ??? Humm maybe a job for you Sas ;)

glenn kangiser

Nice job PEG.  I'd just make a new one out of pine and shoot it together with the nail gun.  The chainsaw would have to be real sharp for the detail work.

Redoverfarm

Good job Peg. Sort of unusual how they used the leaf support. Most I have seen use a 3/4-1" leaf support from under the apron. Is there any indiaction of the age of the piece or the area it was made.

PEG688

No Red , other than the scratches in line with the hinges , nuttin ??? They've lived in Ohio , Massachusetts , and Georgia so best guess I'd have is "back east" as to here it was made.

It is a pleasant looking  little table  , the legs being the nicest feature. I may measure it up for a future rebuild before I deliver it.

Thanks for looking and posting, anybody else got anything??

Redoverfarm

Well this really doesn't fall into the specific catagory but here is a couple of pieces that I reworked a couple years ago. It's a shame I didn't think to take a photo of the "Sellers" cabinet before I started it. It is basicly the same as a "Hooser" brand but maybe just a bit smaller, It was a real mess as the drawers were in pieces, the tambour was nothing but a multitude of pieces. Anyway here is the finished project.  I have to admit that my furniture building has been put on the back burner since I started on the house remodel and the cabin construction. Maybe I will get back to it someday real soon.

PEG688

Nice work Red oddly we have that same looking  chest of draws , I stripped it and refinished it 25 years ago. I'll take a photo of it tonight , no mirror on ours though.

Is that a Delta tablesaw in the back ground? 

Redoverfarm

Yes it is a Delta-Rockwell.  Heavy as can be.  I was having trouble with it kicking the breaker(on the saw). Haven't really figured out that problem yet. Wonder if it could be a weak breaker. It is on it's own circuit only run about 15' from the panel box so I know it's not the load on the wire.  It has a Square D breaker box mounted on the saw. 

The mirror is original but like all others of that time period the electro-plate was bad. Since it had curved corners and beveled glass I did a little improvising that my uncle told me about. I am sure you have tried it. I removed the mirror and with a little "tidy-bowl" took the remaining silver off. I went to a glass shop and bought a 1/8" mirror. Cleaned the old mirror (glass now) and then sandwiched the cheap mirror behind it in the frame. It would take a well trained eye to pick it up. The beveled curved mirror would have cost a fortune to refinish or replace.  I got it done for $6. 

Redoverfarm

Peg these are a few others that I had done in the past.

This is an entertainment center that I built several years ago.  All the doors are Euro hinged to slide back in. Now the only problem that I have is that the old style TV are becoming obsolete and if it ever goes bad I will probably have to downsize the screen size (currently 27") to be able to get a flat screen in the same opening.

The shaker peg quilt rack is unusual in that my aunt made us the freindship quilt which displays each ones name in the steam coming from the coffee cup. The only problem with a standard quilt rack is that they are normally drapped over a rod or bar. If I had done this half of the quilt would not be able to be displayed. So the basic design is pretty straight forward but on the bar it is actually two 3/4" stock with shaker pegs only penetrating the top piece. In three locations I used "t-nuts" in the back wooden strip. Then inserting the hanger bolts in the three shaker pegs to draw down the outer strip against the inner strip I created a 4' vice to hold the edge of the quilt.

The remaining photograph is the fireplace/stove surround for the family room.  It is a little oversized for the flu neaded but I wanted to incorporate matching wood boxes that I could feed from the outside.  The arch top cubicles are just dust collectors but do serve a purpose to house the oil lamps used occassionlly.

Sassy

You've done some nice work, too, Redoverfarm!  The 1st post you did, there aren't any pix or links to pix  ???

Our table like the one you refinished, PEG, has some really ornate carving on the legs & chairs that go with it - I also got the "side board" or china cabinet with it - more like a buffet that also has some beautiful carving - I was told the st came from England, 1800's.  Over all, it is in good shape - Glenn fixed the support leg that holds up one of the leafs that was messed up & he didn't need to use a chainsaw or nail gun  :D

Redoverfarm

I thought they were there once.  Maybe out there with luke skywalker by now. I modified and they appeared so we will just have to see. ??? c*

Sassy

Thanks - gottem this time - we have a "Hoosier" just like yours but haven't refinished it - still the original paint job - pale green with stencils of flowers on it - it good shape - I use it constantly.  You call it a "seller's" cabinet?  Never heard of that before.  Nice work, though.

Redoverfarm

Sassy they were basicly the same thing. A pastry cabinet but Hoosier was one of the manufactuers as was Sellers. The Sellers were made in Indianna. Not real sure where the Hossiers were made.  I hunted a good while to find an oak one. Plenty of pine and poplar around. They usually were painted.  One section of an interior shelf on mine was painted. Hard to get 50-75 year old paint off. The rest was just clear finish that had darkened. They always say to refinish an antique ruins the value. Well there wasn't any choice on this one. The way it was Glenn would probably used it for a work bench in the shop.