OKLAHOMA 20X30 SINGLE STORY

Started by astidham, May 07, 2010, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

Thanks, im west of town by the lake, are you starting a build in skiatook?
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

mpulse

No, Im building south of Muskogee little town called Porum

astidham

started ductwork this week.
i used spiral duct for the trunk and branches.. its nice to get 10 feet of pipe without a joint.
I have 1000.00 in materials including floor registers. i was quoted 9000.00 for duct only install (no registers). it took me 2 days to install, and i have never installed any before. im not tooting my own horn, im just amazed how much money i saved.  [waiting]

— Henry Ford

Redoverfarm

Don't forget to tape all your joints with HVAC joint tape.  Most DIY'r usually don't and when they do they try to use Duck tape which is a no.no.  Looking good.  Professional looking install.

astidham

Thanks John, I was using brush on sealer, should I do both?
— Henry Ford

Redoverfarm

Quote from: astidham on September 05, 2015, 11:37:11 AM
Thanks John, I was using brush on sealer, should I do both?

Not sure but I have seen both used.  Are both needed ???.  Main thing is to secure your joints with a screw because neither protect the joint from coming loose.  Here is a good article on sealing HVAC.

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/sealing-ducts-what-s-better-tape-or-mastic

astidham

We  have finished the majority of the siding!
im in the process of tieing up loose ends outside before its gets cold.

— Henry Ford

MorenoRanch

Hi astidham,

Awesome house!! I was actually trying to message you but it wont let me for some reason.  I had a few questions.  Perhaps you can message me?  I just moved to OKC 6 months now.  Thanks.

Michael

astidham

I sent you a pm Michael.
you can also ask the questions on this board..

Todd
— Henry Ford

astidham

Been a while since I have posted.  I found a pendant light for the entry of the addition.

My wife and I renovated the light. Really just cleaned and painted it.

The electrical is done less the downstairs bath recepts, and we have stared covering walls, here is the entry

More to come soon. Got to make another run to the sawmill for more tongue and groove, and live edge.
— Henry Ford

pmichelsen

Amazing how much better that light looks with a little elbow grease and paint.

astidham

Quote from: pmichelsen on February 20, 2016, 12:02:53 PM
Amazing how much better that light looks with a little elbow grease and paint.
thanks,  we used oil based to stick to the brass, it has a pretty harsh oder when using it.
It was a good find for 30 dollars
— Henry Ford

astidham

Got a new toy... hopefully I will have some wall covering pretty soon. Going through the learning curve right now. Cuts nicely.  Did some diy upgrades, ready to cut some cedar.

— Henry Ford

pmichelsen

Beautiful color, all of these mills are making me jealous.

astidham

Thanks, you might as well get one..lol
— Henry Ford

Adam Roby

That is some beautiful wood... would make really nice siding. 
Wonder if it keeps the color, lightens or darkens... maybe just oiled to help protect the natural color.

astidham

Thanks Adam,
The wood keeps the color pretty well finished. Unfinished in the sun, you can see a change in color in minutes.
I had a few 1x4s I cut on the bed of the truck the other day, when I moved them into the barn the side facing the sun looked almost brown, where the bottom side was very red.
the tree is aromatic red cedar.
— Henry Ford

ajbremer

Hi Todd!

Man, you are building all the time. It's been a long time (too long) since I've checked out your thread - you
never stop dude! You sure do it right. I also looked back and saw your water tank and system, I'd like to learn
more about that. I just have to stop by some day.
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

astidham

I have been away for a while, still not done with the cabin yet.. I have started another project, a walipini greenhouse, also known as a pit greenhouse.
After berming  the sides and north side, it's about 10
' of depth on the north, and 8 foot on the south.

— Henry Ford

OlJarhead

How's the mill?  Lots of fun isn't it :)  Sawdust sticks in the veins...don't say I didn't warn ya! ha!

Lovin' the green house too!  Have looked at those for some time and that design is great for northern climes

astidham

haven't got to play with the mill much lately, but I will be using it soon....
you did warn me.. I love it! I have cut several cedars!!!
im currently growing tomato's, okra, and bell peppers in the greenhouse, with the hope that winter wont kill them off...
— Henry Ford

astidham

I am considering back filling around the foundation with dirt. I am going to frame between the post, and sheath above the concrete pillars to have a backfill structure.  Any suggestions about doing this? I'm unsure about the best way to protect the sheathed portion other than house wrap or plastic,  and will this cause any insect issue that I could prepare for?
Thanks, Todd

— Henry Ford

astidham

https://youtu.be/Z6_s0u6UvhY
Here is a little video on my underground greenhouse
— Henry Ford

Don_P

That is amazing  [cool]
Our above ground high tunnel survived the 10 degree snap here with greens and such (7 lbs of spinach this week!) but tomatoes are a long way off, very cool. What zone are you in? Keep posting how it does, this is interesting and we sure have the hills.

astidham

Thanks Don. I'm in zone 7a, but we have several below freezing days here.
With the depth, the soil has stayed pretty warm. I plan on doing 1 video a week. I will keep you posted. I would like to see your high tunnel
— Henry Ford