Hunting Cabin/Family Retreat

Started by tjm73, October 12, 2005, 04:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjm73

An idea I came up with.  I love this little cabin so much I'd like to build it way out in the country.  Still some unfinished things like where I'd put a water heater.  I wouldn't build anything on anything less than at least a crawl space (prefferebly a basement).  So I'd probably put the water heater in their.

It'd be wood stove heated.   The bathroom door is a corner door to save space with a shelf rack onteh inside.  Their would be a closet under the stairway.  And the grey guy is 6 feet tall to add perspective to everything.

n74tg

Nice design; what software did you draw it with?
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

tjm73

I actually did it in bitmap.  No special software.

keyholefarmhouse

I love this design.  I've been fooling around with the same concept stolen from an old chicken coop at my neice's farmstead.  It was once a small cabin covered in stucco.  I'm guessing its very old.  The shed roof scoops in the sun with windows at the split.  It gives an airy open feeling with the ceiling and lighting as is.  The front faces east and holds the only windows or possibly sliding glass doors.  It could have a nice deck which could wrap around to the  north for a covered (screened) Porch/outdoor kitchen/sleeping room.  Also, I think done in small dimension looks super cool.  My only concern is; does the roof overhang enough to block sumner sun?
Catch nine pounders

Billy Bob

Maybe a corner shower would help, too.  
I had the same thought keyhole did about some clerestory windows above the lower roof line.
Cute!
Bill

John Raabe

Shed roofs would make for pretty simple construction.

You will need to have a beam and a couple of 6x6 posts under the loft cantilever. Once you do that you might want to use some of that lower floor space for something. I might turn the area to the right of the kitchen window (rear elevation) into a deep exterior storage wall.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Amanda_931

propane camp stoves--two burner type, tend to have more BTU's per burner (10,000) than inexpensive gas stoves (3k to 5).

with that and a small refrigerator that will run outside (not all do!--move it inside when you're not there) there would be a lot more storage room in the kitchen.  

Can probably skimp on that 33 inch sink as well.

By the way, the Coleman water heater is not doing really well in trials at my house.  The flame goes out a lot.  I may learn how to prevent that.

But it's been awfully dry, and we took the 125 gallon water tank to the car wash, hasn't remotely begun to fill up since.

Peter Ross

One idea I had was to put the Toilet under the staircase...I mean think about it...You are always sitting down when using it...So low ceiling is not that big a deal! ;)

with a Corner Shower and a small sink it would be a great way to get the total Square footage for the bathroom down.

Just something I was playing with in my own Drawings.

I personally find that Closet space is not important if you are just building a part time Hunting camp retreat...if you spend ample time there you might want to consider comfort features like a Closet here and there...Otherwise I would  suggest that you just  make sure that under every  bed there are drawers... Saves the need for a wardrobe or dresser drawer set in a small room.

Even if you build bunk Beds...Make sure there is a set of drawers under the top bunk...So for every person sleeping in the Camp/Cabin/Cottage..There are 3 or 4 drawers for clothes and such.

Again these are things I considered, not by any means the only way to approach things

I have been working on wasted space in Various roof designs... Toying with cost per total square footage in a pitched roof... I see all these  designs where there is no loft, or the loft is so small it is not even worth bothering with.

Okay enough ranting....

-Peter

JRR

If it's really to be a hunting cabin/family retreat, you may want to plan something other than beds of any sort. I just think a bed, not touched for weeks, may not be very inviting.  There may be dust and mold ... or even small critters waiting for you .... unless the building ventilation method is very secure.

Personal sleeping bags/rolls may suit you better.  Will also save space.  Can be left on-site inside of plastic bags ... or hauled away each trip.

tjm73

QuoteOne idea I had was to put the Toilet under the staircase...I mean think about it...You are always sitting down when using it...So low ceiling is not that big a deal! ;)

with a Corner Shower and a small sink it would be a great way to get the total Square footage for the bathroom down.

Just something I was playing with in my own Drawings.

I personally find that Closet space is not important if you are just building a part time Hunting camp retreat...if you spend ample time there you might want to consider comfort features like a Closet here and there...Otherwise I would  suggest that you just  make sure that under every  bed there are drawers... Saves the need for a wardrobe or dresser drawer set in a small room.

Even if you build bunk Beds...Make sure there is a set of drawers under the top bunk...So for every person sleeping in the Camp/Cabin/Cottage..There are 3 or 4 drawers for clothes and such.

Again these are things I considered, not by any means the only way to approach things

I have been working on wasted space in Various roof designs... Toying with cost per total square footage in a pitched roof... I see all these  designs where there is no loft, or the loft is so small it is not even worth bothering with.

Okay enough ranting....

-Peter

I had thought about stoarge under the stairs, but putting the toilet there is a great idea.  Bathroom sink is a waste of space in a place tiny like this.  Kitchen sink serves the same purpose.  And it's close by.

benevolance

I helped a guy build a cabin once where there were 4 beds built into the walls... They foldes down...There were drawers under each one of them...

It was a small camp and so there were 2 single cot like beds on each wall one higher than the other...And the outside of the bed folded up into the wall

With the Drawers underneath the beds still stuck out a little...But it made the camp seem big during the day and it was a 30 second procedure to unfold your bed for sleep.

I prefer the bed folding up on the side instead of a fold down lengthwise bed like you see on TV Movies...They are great if you have lots of room

The fold down beds we designed allowed the small camp to function just barely with all the beds folded out...

I guess it all depends on what you prefer and what you need to get out of the space you have available

-Peter