Foundation Plugin for SketchUp

Started by Medeek, July 04, 2016, 02:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

I am curious how to handle a situation where the brick ledge terminates along a linear stretch of stemwall?

Here I have a 10" stemwall with brickledge meeting a 6" stemwall without.  What is typically done in this situation?

Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.
Designer, Programmer and Engineer

Medeek

When you throw brick ledges into the mix the horizontal surface texture doesn't really work well:

Maybe I just need to go with a more generic texture for these surfaces?

The model has a 12" CMU stemwall with a 4" brick ledge, yielding a single row of 8" block forming the final layer on the top of the wall.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/faa957fe-8c20-479b-a2d2-e369f7c711f0/CMU-Stemwall-with-Brickledge

Medeek

Version 1.5.1 - 09.20.2019
- Enabled CMU blocks for spread footing piers.

Under pier options you select concrete or CMU block as the material type.  This update is per user request.

The CMU textures seems to work best with a 16" width (square) pier.  Currently rectangular piers are not an option but I may need to change that in the near future.

Medeek

Version 1.5.2 - 09.28.2019
- Fixed a critical performance bug that affects all the modules within the extension.

*** CRITICAL PERFORMANCE UPDATE ***

If you are noticing a slowdown of the plugin performance after multiple edits to a foundation assembly or footing, this fix will resolve that issue.  This issue affects all previous versions of the plugin.

Medeek

Talking with a customer today leads me to believe that a tool for a grade beam might be useful.  My current workaround is to create two separate strip footings, one on top of the other as shown:

The problem with trying to use the strip footing tool to create grade beams is that it does not allow for top bar placement.  Additionally, there is no FPSF option for strip footings.  Let me know your thoughts on this, is this a feature you would like to see added to the plugin?

If I do add it, what other, grade beam specific, parameters might need to be added?

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/277d55a2-ca05-4258-b6b5-93fdab02c7cb/Grade-Beam-Workaround

Medeek

Version 1.5.3 - 12.12.2019
- Updated Slab and SOG reinforcement, replacing components with groups to increase performance.

Medeek

Version 1.5.4 - 12.19.2019
- Enabled an "orthogonal mode" for polygon slab and SOG draw menus.
- Added the ability to delete points in the polygon slab and SOG draw menus.

Clicking the "Ctrl" key will enforce orthogonal mode while using the draw tool. Currently the orthogonal mode will restrict the user to 45 deg. increments.

While selecting the points for a foundation outline the user may accidentally select an incorrect point. By clicking the left arrow key the user can delete the previously selected point (or multiple points).

Medeek

Version 1.5.5 - 02.06.2020
- Enabled an "orthogonal mode" for the polyline stemwall draw menu.
- Fixed a bug in the text input method of the draw menus for: polyline stemwalls, polygon slabs, polygon SOG, and strip footings.

Medeek

Version 1.5.6 - 02.11.2020
- Added an option for column base hardware for all column footings.
- Added the following Simpson column bases to the built-in library: CB66, CBSQ66

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/2a206136-76ce-4165-95c5-4d7034cf23a9/Column-Bases

Medeek

I've only added two (low poly) column bases thus far, obviously there are many more (just open a Simpson's catalog).  If you have a specific part you would like to see added to the built-in library please let me know.

Similar to the electrical plugin, the user can simply drop their column/post base SketchUp components into the library sub-folder of the plugin to use them with the column footing tool.

The vertical offset parameter was specifically added for cast in place bolt groups so the depth of embedment can easily be adjusted as needed.

As seen in the screenshots the hardware is always centered on the footing with the rotation parameter allowing for any degree of rotation.

This update was per a customer request.

Medeek

Version 1.5.6b - 02.16.2020
- Added the following Simpson column bases to the built-in library: CBSQ44, CBSQ46, CBSQ86, CBSQ88

Medeek

This page lists all of the manufacturers hardware included in the Foundation plugin:

http://design.medeek.com/resources/foundationpluginvendors.html

Medeek

Version 1.5.7 - 03.04.2020
- Updated the polyline stemwall draw tool to terminate (point selection) with the "Enter" key instead of the down arrow.
- Updated the strip footing draw tool to terminate (point selection) with the "Enter" key instead of the down arrow.

I've never been really happy with using the down arrow as the termination key for the polyline stemwall and strip footing tools, it was always a placeholder until I could figure out how to use the Enter key instead.  I've now enabled the plugin so that the Enter/Return key can be used.  I have not disabled the down arrow key so actually either can be used at this time but eventually I will remove the down arrow key so that only the enter key will terminate point selection for the two draw tools.

Medeek

Version 1.5.8 - 04.27.2020
- Added a Global Reset button in the General tab of the Global Settings.
- Plugin files switched from .rbs to .rbe encryption.

Medeek

Version 1.6.0 - 05.28.2020
- Added a footing concrete layer in the Global Settings under the "Layers" tab.
- Fixed a bug for metric templates with the strip footing tool and the polyline stemwall tool.

Note, that if you want the footing concrete layer to remain the same as the rest of the foundation (ie. stemwall) you can always assign it to the same layer name: "fnd_conc"

Also note, that any and all of these layer names are user configurable, the names shown are just default names I have assigned, the user can utilized their own naming convention that suites their workflow.

Medeek

After giving this suggestion some additional thought:

I think I will introduce two additional parameters for stemwall foundations which will make them more applicable for use as retaining walls in foundation design.

The two parameters will be:

Ftg. Bar Development:  None, Hook, Full Ext., Full Int.
Ftg. Offset: 0.0 in (default)

Currently footings are drawn symmetrically with respect to the foundation wall, this will enable the user to offset the footing in or out (+/-).

Medeek

Version 1.6.1 - 08.31.2020
- Added a footing offset parameter to polyline stemwalls.
- Enabled options for 90 deg. footing hooks for vertical rebar in polyline stemwall.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/eb2be1c5-68b8-492a-a784-a31b68d46b5d/Asymmetric-Stemwall-Foundation

Medeek

Version 1.6.2 - 10.09.2020
- Added a "Refresh Licensee Data" button within the License tab of the Global Settings.

Medeek

Version 1.6.3 - 10.22.2020
- Fixed a bug in the strip footing "Outline" edit menu.

Medeek

Version 1.6.4 - 01.11.2021
- Added the option for post bases for the (Post & Beam) Interior Bearing tool: BC40, BC60.

Post base hardware added per customer request.

Medeek

Version 1.6.4b - 01.14.2021
- Added the following additional post bases to the Interior Bearing tool: ABU44, ABU66.

Two additional post bases added per customer request.

Medeek

When the foundation segment lengths in a polyline stemwall foundation are too short this is what you get (notice the anchor bolt placement):

I'm working up some additional logic to properly deal with anchor bolt placement with short segment lengths.

Medeek

Version 1.6.5 - 02.09.2021
- Fixed a bug with anchor bolt placement for polyline stemwalls.
- Added an option for a zero depth footing for polyline stemwalls, which eliminates the footing for this foundation type.

By setting the depth of the footing to zero you can eliminate the footing from a polyline stemwall, son only the stemwall portion of the foundation is drawn.  This is per customer request.

Also the algorithm for anchor bolt placement for polyline stemwalls is greatly improved, however there can always be further improvements, any feedback is always appreciated.

Medeek

Version 1.6.6 - 02.12.2021
- Added logic to the final assembly routine to allow for electrical components (Medeek Electrical) to be retained within all foundation assemblies.

Medeek

Version 1.6.7 - 03.07.2021
- Fixed a bug with brick ledges (and drain pipe) for slab-on-grade foundations.