what to do with a grain silo

Started by kindrngentlr13, December 25, 2009, 05:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowlover

You have to see the silo house Cornell students did this year to get 7th place in the Solar Decathlon

http://www.cusd.cornell.edu/wordpress/

Just watch the video and you'll be impressed

poppy

snowlover
QuoteJust watch the video and you'll be impressed

Impressed with what exactly?  That they can set-up a computer system to turn on lights and play music?

What about controling the angle of the solar panels and the HVAC system?

I would have liked to know about the insulation system and what materials were used.

I can see why they only got 7th place.  Besides, they need some lessons on putting a video presentation together; they said the same thing at least 4 times.

Sorry about the rant guys and gals; my wife turned 63 today and the weather outside is frightful and I don't have a fireplace in this stupid condo.  :(

WoodSprite

Quote from: poppy on December 29, 2009, 11:44:15 AM
snowlover
QuoteJust watch the video and you'll be impressed

Impressed with what exactly?  That they can set-up a computer system to turn on lights and play music?

What about controling the angle of the solar panels and the HVAC system?

I would have liked to know about the insulation system and what materials were used.

I can see why they only got 7th place.  Besides, they need some lessons on putting a video presentation together; they said the same thing at least 4 times.

Sorry about the rant guys and gals; my wife turned 63 today and the weather outside is frightful and I don't have a fireplace in this stupid condo.  :(

Please don't apologize, Poppy...this is the only thing that's make me laugh all day.  It's exactly the same reaction I had, down to the last detail.  I love the idea, but what exactly is the point, here?   If these are my 'neighborhood' geniuses, it's no wonder you can't drive anywhere in the 10 square miles that is Ithaca without stopping every 25 feet for a two-minute stoplight. 

Grrr...And we're sitting here shivering in a drafty little rented house with a propane "fireplace" and a $217.67 propane bill sitting on top of the lovely woodstove that will keep us warm next winter.  With our own frozen land beckoning from beneath the snow right across the road, beautiful and virtually inaccessible.

Your wife's 63, though.  This is a good thing.  Consider the alternative.

The Chronicle of Upper Tupper
This place was made by doing impractical things we could not afford at the wrong time of year.   -Henry Mitchell

poppy

Thanks WoodSprite for confirming my reactions.  I was afraid I was over-reacting.

QuoteYour wife's 63, though.  This is a good thing.  Consider the alternative.

Actually, if the truth be known, my wife turned 64 today!  My daughter straightened me out when she called to wish her mother a happy birthday.

I know that it really is a good thing to be as old as we are, but it has been a rough couple of years for her.

It sounds like it will be a long winter before you can get back to construction.  At least I won't have to wait so long.