Tractor recommendations

Started by grover, May 05, 2013, 08:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Roby

I've been slowly getting to know this tractor as I do the maintenance on it.
Everything so far is in pretty decent shape.
Crazy how this was designed so well, for instance take the oil filter which I just cleaned out tonight.  It's a centrifugal system, all metal parts, it spins and collects the dirt/debris compacting it into channels that you clean out afterwards.  Works like a charm, no filters to swap, no waste, can be done in the middle of a field.  That's kinda the point with these things, they need to be repairable and are made to last.  Nothing like how cars are made today, I wonder if new tractors are still being built as well as these.

Still smells like cow crap, really need to take her out of the garage and do a proper pressure wash.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Adam Roby on July 02, 2016, 11:00:47 PM

Still smells like cow crap, really need to take her out of the garage and do a proper pressure wash.

Adam that is why I mentioned doing that first.  A lot easier working on a somewhat clean machine.

Adam Roby

It's a matter of chicken and the egg...  firstly, I just bought the pressure washer, was on special.
Secondly, I wanted to pull it out of the garage to wash it, but needed to lower the bucket, which meant starting it... but I can't start it with parts removed, plus it will stink up the house with exhaust...  but yeah, if the weather is nice this weekend she is going out for a well deserved bath!

MushCreek

Careful- if it really has a lot of crap on it, it might be a much smaller tractor than you thought! d*
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Adam Roby

It actually does look a lot smaller.... in the driveway compared to the garage.
Man there was a lot of crap, literally, on the machine.  Got most of it off now with the pressure washer.  I need to go over it with degreaser now and rewash tomorrow.  Then on Sunday my brother is coming over to measure the front tires, and remove them to install new ones.

I can't figure out this seat.
It is far too back and tilted back.
I added a boat seat to the metal frame, but still too far for comfort with the clutch.
I only see 1 bolt for an adjustment and I think it only controls the spring.
Everything is adjusted as far forward as possible...  I think.

Any ideas?

Redoverfarm

Hard to tell from the pictures.  But it does have a pivot point toward the gauges.  That allows the seat to flip forward toward the steering wheel to keep the seat dry.  Have you determined exactly what make it is?  Once that can be established you should be able to use the VIN # to research it a little.  There are a lot of on-line manuels for even older tractors.  Hopefully you can find yours.

Adam Roby

I'm fairly confident its a 1974 Belarus T25A, although... I still need to check the serial numbers, maybe contact Belarus and ask for a build sheet or something.  I think the seat is something that was added afterwards, because every picture I see of them looks different.  I was hoping someone might recognize it... it has no tilt mechanism that I can see for water.

Redoverfarm

In the first picture the tilt mechanism is the portion with the three bolts and the boxing.  It looks as if you force the front of the seat down it will lift the back of the seat bracket pin ( "A" bracket bottom) out of a recess in the lower back pin and should allow it to tilt.  Hard to tell just from the picture.  Maybe just the way I am looking at it.

Wonder what the two eared pieces on the front were.  Maybe holding a rod or bolts at one time.  Arm rest?

Adam Roby

Do you know the procedure to follow with the bolts?  Do I loosen the two smaller side bolts and then adjust with the big center one?

ChugiakTinkerer

It looks like if you pulled the top pin from the bracket the seat is attached to it would drop down into a better angle and be a little closer.  Hard to figure out how that seat is supposed to work though.  Seems way more complicated than it ought to be.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Redoverfarm

Adam maybe you can find some answers to some of your problems with this forum.

http://www.mtztractortalk.com/recent/

But this would definitely help you understand what you have.

http://www.jensales.com/Belarus-T25A-Tractor-Parts-Manual-BE-P-T25A_p_82879.html

These people might help you find parts.  I believe they have a branch in Canada as well.  I am sure if your particular model is not listed they can steer you to someone that does have it.

http://www.belarustractorstore.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw5Ie8BRCJ9fHlr_bH24cBEiQAkoDQcUO4GFPUZ_DwYQE_QS-3KSSbfJw8Lx6uh7ABwwHdab4aAttl8P8HAQ

Adam Roby

Just FYI in case anyone was curious...

The whole mechanism is only to adjust the springiness, has no affect on height adjustment.
The person who had it last must have been a 7' giant.
I took the entire seat apart to figure it out.  There is a bottom plate that mounts to the tractor, it must have been flipped (upside down) because it raised and tilted back the seat.  By flipping that (right side up) and reinstalling the seat, it is now completely level with no tilt back.  I actually had to readjust the seat back one setting with 2 bolts.  Now it works great.

I sent the Belarus company my serial number and asked for them to give me the year and model of tractor, and any information they could provide me with to identify it.  Hopefully I get a reply soon.

Adam Roby

So as I was cleaning mud from the tractor and I came across the transmission fill cap.  I figured I would open it and try to see the level and viscosity of the tranny oil (so far I only did the engine oil and filter).  Luckily I decided to reach for my oil pan... just in case... 
It was like I had a pump attached, so much pressure I couldn't get the cap back on.... water, 7-8 liters of water so far that shot out of the filler cap for the transmission.  It is either getting in from one of the shifter seals (they need to be replaced) or one of the other 100 seals on top of the transmission.  I won't be pressure washing it anymore... and I will definitely be putting on a canopy AND making sure I cover up every time I leave because as is the transmission might not last very long.
Guess I will be buying 10 liters of transmission oil tomorrow...

I also opened the hydraulic breather... found the dip stick to measure the level which is right next to the breather.  I need to take the breather apart, it is filthy... and it looks like the hydraulics are almost empty.  Probably 4-6" below the dip stick.  I think everything is in it's compressed state, I will double-check after the transmission issue is resolved.

Do I basically just make sure all the hydraulic pistons are in their most compressed state before checking level or is it the opposite?

Adam Roby

I am wondering if anyone knows about banjo fittings?

There is one on the fuel pump that is continuously leaking oil.  The tractor is sitting so no pressure in there right now other than perhaps residual, I think it may leak even more when working.  I tried to tighten it but it is rock hard already, not budging.  I don't want to snap anything off... just wondering if the source of the leak is probably just washers, and if so where can you find copper washers?  Back in the day with our dirt bikes we would throw the copper head gaskets in the oven and they would swell just enough to be re-compressed when reassembling the engine (has to do the rings pretty often).   Figure that same trick might work here?

I am almost done painting, just have the engine pretty much to finish.  The fuel pump I cleaned but it keeps leaking, hard to paint something full of oil, and is much more obvious that it is leaking with fresh paint everywhere.

NathanS

Did you take the fitting off to make sure there are washers on there? Or that someone didn't replace it and accidentally leave an extra washer that was stuck on there and all grimy?

Those things are a mess when doing a brake caliper job. Usually have to pry off old gunked up washers while the brake fluid is leaking everywhere. I have also gotten new copper washers that come with the caliper that don't fit over the banjo bolt.. yep. I have heard some guys say not to use the copper washers and if you still have the OEM that are usually stainless just re-use them.

Not sure that's much help.

Adam Roby

I haven't attempted to remove the fitting yet, I am a bit worried it drains the pump and causes an even bigger mess and/or causes me to lose prime which will make it very difficult to start later on.  I might just wait to be outside on the land to remove it, just in case.  Wanted to be prepared for any eventuality when I do remove it though, so any feedback is good feedback, thanks!

Redoverfarm

A lot of the pumps have a priming lever to push fuel back into the pump.  Also you will need to bleed the air out of the line after you disconnect and reinstall the fitting.  Having a full fuel tank helps to force the fuel to the filter and pumps.

Were you ever able to find a Shop Manuel or owners Manuel?

Adam Roby

I still haven't identified it completely.  I have a manual for a model the closely resembles it though, and 95% of it looks the same.  I contacted Belarus in Canada and in Russia but have yet to get any reply from either.  I figured with the serial number they could give me more info... I guess I am not important enough.  I know I can remove a connector up top and prime the pump but you must pump until fuel sprays out of the connector up top... again, not nice in the home garage so probably something I will do on the land where it won't be noticed by the missus. 

glenn kangiser

I deal with banjo fittings quite a bit.  The only place for them to leak is the washers assuming there are no defects in the hose above them or the fitting itself which would not be common.  Cracked hoses can be a  problem especially with the new hoses we get today... maybe from India or China but they can deteriorate rapidly.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Bob S.

A old friend of mine was running a backhoe and noticed a drip of hydraulic fluid at a fitting.  He reached down a gave it a twist without thinking. It turned out that the fitting had a crack and it injected hydraulic fluid into his hand. He was warring leather work gloves. He almost lost his hand before everything was all done. He did not have use of his hand for about a year It was quite a setback as he made his living repairing watches. Bob 

Adam Roby

Big Red is done!  Breaking her in next weekend, a buddy needs to load a trailer with dozer parts (tracks, etc) and we're going to see if she can handle it or not.  Better I blow a line in the city with his mechanic father present than alone in the middle of a field.

Redoverfarm

Doesn't look like the same machine.  Good job.  Hope you get a lot of use out of it.

Adam Roby

Thank you... you would not believe the number of hours I laid under that thing scraping, sanding, swearing, painting...  I am sure it was around 100 hours of paint alone.  Crazy how much mud, crud, and other nasty things accumulate on a tractor over the years.

NathanS

Wow incredible job, it looks great.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.