Vermont 10 x 16 Shed With Loft

Started by rich2Vermont, August 30, 2010, 08:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Great work! 

I'm planning on getting a drill press and making a rig to give me 60 degrees so I can slowly drill the mortises at the right angle.

Besides, everyone needs a drill press right?

rich2Vermont

There's never a bad excuse to buy a new tool. ;)

Adam Roby

I absolutely love the entire thing, it is a beautiful work of art.  My fear in building something with such a small foot print was having it look like an outhouse or a shed, something no woman would want to walk in to (i.e. my wife).  You have systematically proven that even a small building can be loaded with a ton of country charm.  It is exactly how I would want to build my own, down to the finishing on the walls, railings, etc.  I know now that what I want to build is possible and can be just as beautiful, thank you for sharing this build with us.

rich2Vermont

Thanks Adam, you're very kind. I'm sure that when ever you get your piece of land, your build will blow mine away. Best wishes.

pocono_couple

hey Rich,  that was quite the compliment  from adam..   invoking the ultimate test of satisfaction.. building something that one's wife will find acceptable  :)

i am interested in your pump.. i love the idea of having a pump at the sink..   where is your well?   and how did you hook up the pump?   is the pump frost proof?    it appears to be a shallow well pump ..   jt

rick91351

To me your build has morphed into one of the best on this sight.  Especially apparently in the spirit of what John set out to do here hosting this site.  Every once in a while there is a build that comes along with balance and that has that should be there quality.  It graces the country side well and is user friendly.   It is neat and clean, well thought of to the point of being surprising and delightful.  I to wish to go on record as well stating the pitcher pump is really cool.  I indeed seen a few of those set ups as a 'kid' growing and being used full time.  So much better than walking down to the spring or creek in the morning to fetch water even in the summer time let alone when it got chilly cold.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rich2Vermont

Thanks so much poconos and Rick! It's been a wonderful experience and I've been happy to share it. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated.

That said, the pump is sort of a work in progress, but really more of an ornament at this point. It is hooked up to a repurposed garden hose and runs out the floor and to the nearby stream. I added a valve at the end so that (in theory) the water in the hose would stay in the hose, once the pump is primed and working. The valve also has a screen to try to keep out some dirt. It's really an ongoing experiment which so far has pretty much failed. It is far easier to take a bucket and fill it in the same stream than to spend even a few minutes priming and pumping like mad. And, no, it's not frost proof. I'm not sure how I'd even begin to do that. Anyway, I've put that project aside for now. Someday I'd like to have a better water system, perhaps using a solar-powered water pump to an elevated tank, maybe with solar convection heating (a friend built a shower doing this at the Thoreau Birthplace Farm in Concord MA -- very cool).

Here's a picture from last winter, showing how close the stream is to the house:

-Rich

pocono_couple

ahhh,  definitely not frost proof!   but cool just the same... and what a great location ..   we stayed  with friends in a cabin in NH where we took water from the lake.. somewhat similar setup..  plastic pipe leading into the water with a foot valve at the end to prevent backflow.. but we had an electric pump..  and it was summer use only, so no need to worry about  freezing..   gotta love new england :)

rich2Vermont

Wow, it's been a long time between posts. It's been a busy year, but mostly working on our Mass. house, which has been sadly neglected over the last few years in favor of out little Vermont place. In between painting, deck repair, etc. at home, I did manage to do a few projects in Vermont. The exterior is pretty much complete, though not completely painted. I added a door to what eventually will be a tool room on the shed addition, allowing me to complete the siding. Inside, I've been working on storage areas a bit, though is still needs more work, whenever I get motivated.

We did enjoy having a lot of family and friends up this year, despite uncooperative weather. Anyway, here's some pictures:

The deck side of the shed (eventually containing the composting toilet, hopefully this year), complete and painted.

The other side, the tool room (to be) door. I'll need a platform and steps, again, this year).

Our storage space within the stairs.

Another shot, with some of the stair drawer fronts on.

Springtime landscape.

Tent village, mostly my wife's family. Bigger crowd every year.

My family, some first-timers to the area.

Summer view. So glad we moved the hammock out of the woods.

Party lights.

And, I'll leave you with a nice fall shot.

Thanks for reading,

Rich

jaransont3

Great pictures.  Looks like a beautiful place and lots of fun with the family.  I love what you did with the storage on the stairs.  Almost makes me wish I could fit some stairs in our little place.  ;)
John Jaranson
Home: Dearborn, MI  Cabin: Iron Range, MN

rick91351

Is that  [cool]  or what....

Thanks for checking in!!
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

pocono_couple

Hi rich,
  great pics.. glad to  see you active again!    Now my wife wants me to figure out how to put a set of stairs in our tiny house!    But  our footprint is  8x16, and two feet makes a big difference... maybe that will be the project for  this spring  :) 

my daughter moved  from VT to NH , so I am not sure that we will be visiting VT all that much in the future..   But, I have been wanting to sail  on  lake Champlain for a while, so who knows  :)     You have done a great job..  I am sure that you have already created lots of cool memories surrounding your house with plenty more to come.. jt

Rys

rich2Vermont

Yet another long gap between postings. My excuse is that, so far, this year has really not been great for us. Between family members passing away, others with serious illness, and getting laid off my job, getting up to Vermont has been our salvation. We remain optimistic for the rest of the year, assuming I can find someone to hire a 58 year old software engineer.

I'm not sad at all at the old job ending. Nearly 3 years of consulting to a poorly managed company, no paid vacations or sick days. At least we have our little place, quiet and relatively secluded.

I finally got around to the tool shed door porch. Here's a photo from last weekend:

I'll also be replacing the front steps. The current (and original) ones were meant to be temporary. The new version will be wider, but not that much different.

Hope you all had a great Fourth. Cheers,

Rich

Hunterscabin

Gotta say, I love the cabin.
I know this is late in the discussion, but can I ask about the piers?
How were they installed? Piers surrounded by concrete/gravel? Was there concrete sonobouys, then the wood attached?
Sorry,I missed that part.
That part of the cabin build worries me the most. not the deck, framing or roof. The pier construction, leveling and bracing.
Enjoy

rich2Vermont

Hi HC - I really don't like admitting my mistakes, particularly in a public forum. But you should do as I did not, heed the advice of many owner/builder's, particularly Mt. Don, in thinking long and hard about the potential problems with my approach to the foundation. I used 4x4's set in 4 foot deep holes and packed with gravel. So far I've been fortunate that the soil under my little house is very stable, with little organic (plant) matter. And, so far, no heaving -- all is still level and plumb. Yet, I know that my foundation is under-sized, and not set in stone, so to speak. While I keep my fingers crossed that all will remain stable, I'm looking into what effort it may take to improve things. PWF is a consideration, as are larger piers, set in cement. I'm sure I'll be paying for my past sins and it won't be pleasant. My advice to you is to build your foundation such that you'll neither worry nor regret your choices.

Hunterscabin

Thanks. I have looked at pole built cabins and thought long and hard about that.
I sit and say it's not rocket science, but? That dang bottom part thingy has got me thinking like a damsel before high school prom.
I do not wish such a large place. And your's was damn fine looking
Good Hunting

Tupelo

I know this is old, but I was wondering if anyone was willing to share the sketches, as the Dropbox link did not work for me.
Thanks Tupelo

John Raabe

What sketches or part of the project are you asking about?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

rich2Vermont

Hi John & Tupelo - some time ago I posted my SketchUp drawings on my DropBox and mentioned that here, but have since removed them. I've changed computers since then as well, so I'll have to look around for them. Will post here or PM when I find them again.

Rich

John Raabe

Thanks for checking in. You did a great job on the stair and got a lot of function out of a small footprint.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Tupelo

Thanks Rich, I know I would never be able to duplicate what you have built, as it is awesome. But I have a small spot on my property, on  the creek, that I would love to attempt one somewhat similar. Thanks for considering to share again.
Tupelo

karnf

You have the best built cabin on this site and its amazing how efficient you have used every space and built everything with quality and love.
Big question which I have been having as I build my 12x20 cabin. MICE! I am closing as many entries as I can even though I haven't installed the insulation in walls and ceiling but they keep getting in. My cabin is full with storage trunks to hold the futon mattress but the place is getting full w/storage containers and loosing its cabin appeal. I can't even think about bringing a sofa and a mattress is out of the question.
I have a this end up sofa which I am thinking of converting to a pull out bed so I can use both but will have to enclosed it to hold either a futon or air mattress. The air mattress doesn't take a lot of room in the storage trunks but I would love to have a log cabin bed like yours.
What wood did you use for the kitchen cabinet doors and countertop? Also the stairs?
My husband keeps telling me that the mice will always find a way to get in but it is discouraging that my idea of a cabin is the cozy feel of comfortable bed and constantly storing stuff when we are away which is frequent for we live three hours away from the cabin. After we leave we always leave the peppermint oil cotton balls but sometimes we are gone for months until we can come back to continue building.
Please help.

rich2Vermont

Hi - Thanks for the compliment, but I assure you that there are far better built cabins than ours on this forum. We did the best we could with the time available to us, with what knowledge gained here and other places.

Knock wood, we have not had any rodent problem, at least so far. I've seen evidence of field mice, but they seem to be staying in the field. Then again, the house is small and built as tight as possible, and I can't imagine how any would get in. We have occasional mice here at our Massachusetts house, and keep a couple of traps set year round. It's not fun to deal with them, I know, and sympathize. I would guess that it'll get better as you finish the interior.

Our bed was a fun project, though I would like a futon/sofa for guests as well. Not a lot of space for that. Instead, we're thinking a tree house/bunk room would be cool. Not doable right now, but we're thinking about it.

The kitchen cabinets face frames are fir (if I remember right), as are the door frames. The door faces are poplar bead board. The countertop is made of maple flooring. The stair treads are leftover pine floor 2" T & G. The railing is mostly maple, though the newel post is balsam. Leftover 1" pine T & G for the rest.

Good luck with your build and the mice. I look forward to hearing more about it.

-Rich

karnf

Thanks so much Rich. I will let you know when the mice have "left the building".  Rich I have been on the site for many years and am amazed but not surprised how many cabin builders want to build a cabin just like yours. You have more fans of your dream build than anyone else although no one including yourself is looking for a fan base.
I feel your cabin should be the "mascot" or symbol of this website of what magic can be done to build the ultimate cabin w/o building a monster structure but using every space w/quality design w/o a big human print on nature.
You have inspired so many of us and know that those of us who have started building and those who are putting there plans together will have your cabin image in their minds and can only hope that we can come close to want you have created.
God bless your humbleness and giving heart in sharing your dream cabin process.
I for one go to your site first whenever I view country plans to continue to be inspired.
[cool] c*