What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

Glenn, do they graze their cows out back?   ;)   Seriously, though, who doesn't love a good burger?  I'll be glad when we get perimeter fencing up around our place.... cows are next on the large livestock list.  I grew up eating grass fed beef that we raised and really miss it sometimes.... we used to eat beef patties for breakfast instead of sausage like a lot of folks.  My grandma used to make round steak with mushroom gravy that was really good, too.  I wasn't a gravy fan, but I loved the steak, and it was tender because she'd cook it long and slow. 

glenn kangiser

Hmm - don't know where they get the cows, Homey, but I didn't read anything about their running the ground up bones, hide, spinal cord, eyeballs and brains through a centrifuge to get more product to put in their burgers.  [yuk]

I like a big ol' chunk of ground beef with onions or even dehydrated onions and smothered in ketchup once in a while.   [hungry]

I agree - it's always good for breakfast, and I prefer it to most sausage.  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Glenn once you get the cattle ranch operating  d* then you can start with a few pigs.  Sausage will never taste the same after you raise your own.  Best thing about them is they will eat anything.  That is without shoes.  ;D   [waiting]

glenn kangiser

Wait a minute there, John.  [waiting]

The Forest Service here tried to burn a guy out of his home... sent two guys with gasoline and broke in to set his house ablaze, but he was there with a shot gun, shot and fed them to the pigs. 

I don't think they ate the shoes though, I think you are right about that. 

That was true -don't think I am too far off on the details.  He won in court.

Speaking of my cattle - I'm supposed to get the little escape artist soon.  I have to finish his corral. [ouch]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I'm in the mood for something rich... say a cold roast goose stuffed with hummingbirds or something.

OlJarhead

My bro raised cows every year (two of them).  He'd give one to the butcher and the butcher would hang them both and butcher them as part of the deal (the butcher helped with cost of the cows too etc).

When I would go over to have steak he'd purposely put out butter knives on the table.  We didn't need them for the stake, a fork would do :D

Man home grown/raised food is SOOO much better.  I've yet to have a better steak/roast/milk etc then I've gotten from someones personal efforts.  

Mom's Crab Apple Butter was so damn good I planted a Crab Apple Tree two years ago :)  It's blossoming.  We're gardening (over 500 sq/ft of garden) and who knows, maybe someday will get chickens, goats and cows for the cabin and just move in :D

ScottA

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tonight's dinner was salmon patties, fried okra, and salad.  Didn't check my blood sugar afterward because I really didn't want to know!!  My thinking is that this baby can't be getting too big from the gestational diabetes because I'm still wearing regular jeans, which NEVER happened at 7 months with the other three.  Sassy, I want your opinion.... if I'm out of range 1/3 of the time, the doc wants to put me on metformin to help lower my blood sugar.  Well, I'm probably out of range about 1/3 of the time at one hour after eating (she wants me under 120 at one hour.)  However, the numbers are never higher than 135-ish at an hour, and by an hour and fifteen minutes, I'm back in range.  I don't want to take medicine while pregnant unneccesarily.  What do you think?  Should I leave close enough alone, or do you think it has to be back in range right on the dot?

glenn kangiser

Sassy is working this week.

Our renter had to stop taking medications to get well - the prescribed medicines were what were causing all of his new problems after his original problem of unknown cause.  They put him on something like 17 medications because he passed out one time and they could find no cause.  The medicines brought him to near death in my opinion. 

He ran out of money - could no longer afford the medicine, quit and got well.

Dinner - Last night it was Broccoli with cheese sauce with pork chops and gravy, Modelo Dark and a bit of Port.  At my son and wife's in Pasadena.

What I am waiting for is today - we are going to her families in lower LA and she is making all sorts of crepes.  Yum. [hungry]

Homegrown Tomatoes

Yum is right... that sounds great.  I'm about to decide that the glucose monitor is the problem... took readings at fasting the other morning and it came back 146 the first time.  I about keeled over.  So I took it again, 84.  Every time it was WAY different (I took it enough times that the tips of all my fingers were getting pretty sore.)  Tonight was shrimp and cocktail sauce.... and then I ate a bunch of artichokes.  Not exactly a well-planned meal, but also not likely to make my blood sugar go nuts.

MountainDon

Food Quiz:   ;D

Regular readers are aware that my mandible reconstruction has left me temporarily unable to chew food. What to these meals that I've ate since Friday have in common.

1. macaroni and cheese, green chili sauce

2. spaghetti, meat balls and marinara sauce

3. potato, leek and bacon soup, cream of

4. chili; ground beef and three beans

5. roast chicken, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy and green peas

6. cheese tortellini with marinara sauce

7. meat loaf, potatoes, carrots, gravy

correct answer in next post

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

All of them can be passed through a blender and the result tastes okay, just doesn't look all that great

:( :(
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Don, I feel for you and hope you'll be able to chew on your favorites soon.  I had a friend who once decided to lose weight on a "liquid" diet.  Problem was, they were putting the same ol' garbage in the blender and drinking it through a straw (burgers, fries, and coke puree, anyone? d*)  They just couldn't understand why they didn't lose weight on the diet, lol.  How long before you can start back with some more real food?

MountainDon

Homegrown Tomatoes

That's what I keep telling myself on the gestational diabetes diet, too... only it is nine more weeks... if I can make it nine more weeks on green veggies and protein, I'll be OK.  For some reason, it is harder this time... in part because my kids keep eating up all the nuts and sunflower seeds that make the whole thing doable. 

Sassy

Hope you're feeling better, MtnDon!  Haven't been on the net much lately. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

OkieJohn2

Say MtnDon, I consider myself a foodie, I have worked food service most of my life, with time out from time to time to do other jobs. I still consider the best meal I ever had was when I had heart bypass surgery at Integris Baptist in OKC, the worst part was being intubated and the day they removed the tube they had me down for the liquid meal.   Boy was it ever great, the entree was some incredible, home made mushroom-beef soup with side of a fresh fruit blended compote.  Everyone always bashes hospital food but Baptist has it together, all the meals were great.
On a side note, as a foodie, how come the Travel channel has the only good food shows, Food Network is awful in my opinion.
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

Homegrown Tomatoes

Baptist does have good food.  My sister had her kids there and the food was pretty good. 

glenn kangiser

On the road again..... Dinner....

Mozzarella cheese sticks, teriyaki jerky, cinnamon crisps, chocolate milk,  lemonade... I feel like ralphing.....[yuk]

We don't feel like going out for a meal after we get to the motel so it's what ever we find at the FoodMax on the way to the room.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Ug, that makes me sick just to read it Glenn!

glenn kangiser

I had worse on that trip, Homey.... [waiting]

Try a Philly Cheese steak  sandwich from under a heat lamp at a Shell food mart.  

It was dough wrapped around cheese steak paste that had soaked through half way on the bread.  

Kinda like someone had already had it in their mouth.......and didn't like it so they put it back for me......

The meat, peppers and cheese had all been conveniently ground into a paste so they could squeeze it into the dough from a tube, I think.... at least that is all I can figure out..... [scared]

Then they baked it all together into some kind of a paste filled bun that looked pretty good on the outside......

Now... where did ralph go? .... [noidea'

MountainDon

I think those are best consumed while sitting on the 'john' so you don't have to run around looking for one  after.....

Homegrown Tomatoes

I fed my family cheesecake for supper since I can't have any and we had some from Mother's Day sitting there tempting me every time I opened the fridge... I had a salad. 

glenn kangiser

Quote from: MountainDon on May 11, 2010, 09:54:08 AM
I think those are best consumed while sitting on the 'john' so you don't have to run around looking for one  after.....

[rofl2]

Good idea.  [idea]

gottogo

Homegrown Tomatoes

I'm getting to the point in this pregnancy that I'm hating food.  Lunch was a few bites of cucumbers with some plain (oh, so plain) yogurt, and a handful of nuts.  Breakfast was a handful of nuts.  Supper will most likely be some kind of meat (maybe chicken?) with green veggies.  I might be generous and make some potatoes or rice for the family, even though I can't partake.  Four more weeks until he can be born  with no worries that he's too early.... d*  It is dreary and cool today.   What I'd give for a cup of coffee!!