Framing: Wall Assembly

Started by youngins, July 19, 2007, 06:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngins

In Wagner's "House Framing", in the section on "Wall Assembly" (p 102), He suggests attaching all of the king studs first, then complete the rough openings.

While in a perfect world with perfect materials, this might work. However, with imperfect materials - I found out that you may put yourself in a situation where you may have to rip out a king stud when you go to complete the rough opening.

I then tried an outside-in approach. I started with the outside king studs first on each end and then worked my way in. When I got to a rough opening, I found the end result was the king stud that came just after the trimmer may be a little off - but at least I did not have to rip it out just to move it 1/4".

I was curious to hear if others have found the same to be true, or if there were other strategies they would like to share.

Thanks

Chris

MikeT

I found that for plating my walls, I did not do the most efficient method in terms of time, but it helped me build walls without having to re-do a lot.  I first put my top and bottom plate next to one another.  Then I started with my 15 1/4" measurement and made all my subsequent marks at 16" and put an X next to each line (I usually measured from the left to the right, so my Xs went to the right of my marks) and used a T square to make sure the marks were the same location on both plates.  Then I went back and marked the location of the trimmer studs and king studs for my window or door openings- I used an X for the regular studs, T for trimmers, and K for the King studs that went next to the trimmers.  For the cripples that fell into the rough openings, I simply marked a C on part of the X so that I knew it was where a cripple would fall.

Then when I started to build the walls, I would go with all regular studs first, then lay in the header assemblies that I made ahead of time (header + trimmer).  I would put in one King stud and then the header assembly and then the other king stud.  Then I would follow with measuring, cutting and nailing in the cripples.

I should add that I made a special effort to note where the 4', 8', 12' studs were located.  I wanted to make extra sure that those were right on in terms of stud location.  A 1/4" off and a slight bow could lead to the sheathing not quite falling where needed.  I have had to scab a few studs and joists in places where this occurred.  More than anything it bruises the ego.

I do not know if this is efficient, but it worked for me.  I am not billing out my time, so 15 extra minutes here and there does not cost me much.

mt

glenn-k

I do similar to Mike but make fine adjustments with a 24 OZ framing hammer.  PEG'll probably get me for that. :-/