Meanwhile, Texas is handing out free shotguns

Started by muldoon, May 01, 2013, 07:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muldoon

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9083840&rss=rss-ktrk-article-9083840

QuoteHOUSTON (KTRK) -- A plan to give people in Houston some extra protection is going on now, with free shotguns being given to them. It's part of a project started by a University of Houston grad student.

The Armed Citizen Project will be arming people in northwest Houston, in neighborhoods near the Northwest Freeway and Loop 610. The idea is to arm those in medium and high crime areas who don't currently have a weapon at home. Publicizing this, they hope, will be a deterrent to criminals who would otherwise target them.

Very soon, more shotguns will be in the hands of homeowners in one northwest Houston neighborhood.

"It's our hypothesis that criminals do not want to die in your hallway," Coplen said. "We think that society should use that fear to deter crime."

more at link...

:D

John Raabe

This would be an interesting experiment to track. Irrespective of the emotional and political issues here, this is a chance to track the casualties of putting more firearms in the hands of the public. Does it end up deterring (or shooting) more criminals, or injuring more innocents? I hope someone is working up a PHD dissertation on this.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Carla_M

Doesn't some of John Lott's work back up the idea that an armed neighborhood is a safer neighborhood as long as the bad guys are aware of that?   I think I also read that in Canada you are much more likely to be a victim of a home burglary while you are home than in the USA. Canada has fewer firearms in the hands of the general public and so the bad guys see less risk in daylight burglaries is the conclusion.
The personal dietary habits of people kill more frequently than firearms. Eat healthy and carry a gun.

Huge29

Abbey

I read an article from Australia that said after most of the guns were collected property crimes and assaults went way up. The article claimed that Australia's crime rate had been dropping but after a mass shooting the government spent over $500 million confiscating lawfully owned guns and destroyed them. Since then crime has been steadily increasing year after year.