Dave and Kim's 1 1/2 story 20x40 cabin pics

Started by David.DiPietro, February 10, 2009, 07:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

Your cabin looks great,what pitch is your roof?
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

David.DiPietro

Osprey

Looks like the females got you out numbered.  ;)

Nice looking place you have there.

Mike 870

Wow, really awesome place.  I dug through years of emails so I could find my password and log back in to say that!! So I really like it!

David.DiPietro

Thanks Mike!  We are flattered you went through the trouble to find your password so you could post :)  We are very happy with it and proud of how it turned out.  We followed the plans and it turned out great.

Osprey, yes the girls do out number the boys in our family :)

germangirl

Dave and Kim - the place looks awesome! If you don't mind what does the plan layout look like? Is there a bedroom on the main floor? It looks like everyone is enjoying it!

John Raabe

Dave and Kim:

Thanks for sharing pictures of your fine cabin. You did a great job and your handsome family pictures could be used in an article on "happy, healthy country living".  :D :D :D

I hope some of those photos make it into the long term family album.

Really a first class job.

John
None of us are as smart as all of us.

David.DiPietro

Germangirl, There is a bedroom on the first floor.  We used the standard plan layout except we extended the length from 30 to 40 ft.  The extra length is in the family room/living area.  The plans for the standard layout are on the forum (search for 1 1/2 story 20 x 30 cottage).

John, thank you!  Thanks for all of your support and patience with our questions.  I'll take some pictures of the outside with the finished porch next time.  It especially looks good all lit up at night.  Dave is actually talking about another project down the road sometime once we finish this one (actually, we'll probably always be doing something to this one as we are already talking about adding an island to the kitchen, lol).  We'll see.  Again, thanks!

cbc58

very nice.  can i ask if there is heat other than the wood stove?  for us who are considering a build... could you tell us roughly what your cost is on the project ??   

John Raabe

Here's a link to the 20x30 1 1/2 story plan that Dave and Kim extended to 40'. An extra 10' has made everything more spacious.

http://www.countryplans.com/20w_loft.html

David.DiPietro

cbc58.. We also have baseboard heating in all of the rooms including small units in the bathrooms.  We'll know more next winter how much we need to use them though.  We had the stove going a few weekends ago and the upstairs was very warm from just that. 

David.DiPietro

I forgot to answer on the cost question.  I'll check with Dave and our records and let you know tomorrow. 

Alasdair

jdhen

Wow.  Everything looks great!
I have a question for you on the porch floor.  It looks like you've used T&G flooring.  Is it slightly pitched away from the house?  How will you finish it?
I'd like to do a screened porch and wanted to used T&G but was told I should use cedar decking with spaces between the planks to drain the water that will inevitably get in.  I'd much prefer to use T&G.  What are your thoughts?
Jesse

Redoverfarm

Quote from: jdhen on August 05, 2010, 08:27:42 AM
Wow.  Everything looks great!
I have a question for you on the porch floor.  It looks like you've used T&G flooring.  Is it slightly pitched away from the house?  How will you finish it?
I'd like to do a screened porch and wanted to used T&G but was told I should use cedar decking with spaces between the planks to drain the water that will inevitably get in.  I'd much prefer to use T&G.  What are your thoughts?

Jesse I just noticed your post and I thought I would let you know that there is a solid composite T&G flooring in I think 2-1/4 width's.  I had seen it at a builders auction.  The tounge was already pre-drilled for installation.  I had never seen it before that day and i thought it was pretty neat looking stuff.  Just thought i would mention it.

rick91351

John can you see if you can get a name or something of that product? Will check at my local at my local lumber yard. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

jwlester

Great looking place.  We are day dreaming of a 20x40 1 1/2 as well and I was curious if you could share the layout for the upstairs?  Do you have any modified plans drawn up?  Did you make the bedroom or kitchen downstairs any bigger or did all the extra go to the living area?  Just trying to get a feel for what the space is like.  Thanks for any info you can offer. 

Josh

NM_Shooter

Fantastic job.  Which one of those kids on the porch was running the chop saw?  They did a good job on the T&G!!!!
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Redoverfarm

Quote from: rick91351 on August 05, 2010, 10:27:59 AM
John can you see if you can get a name or something of that product? Will check at my local at my local lumber yard. 

Rick I would have to wait until the next auction which will be in the fall to see if I can get a company name.  But I did find this company who advertises porch flooring in composite.  Maybe a place to start.

http://www.correctporch.com/

mogie01

We love your cabin Dave and Kim!!   We want to build the stairs to code if possible
and need some help.  We love the look of your stairway, do you have a plan for the stairs that you could share with us?  It would my husband's life a while lot easier as he has never built stairs before.  Any help would be much appreciated!! 
???

glenn kangiser

The house really came out great, Dave and Kim- looks like the kids and whole family enjoy it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

robojo

Wow , I love it!  Its almost exactly what we have been dreaming about for yrs.
have fun

duncanshannon

Fantastic looking place.  [cool] thanks for taking the time to share the story and the pictures. 

i'm just acquiring land and am starting to think about the 1 1/2 vs 2 story plans.  Did you contemplate this much?  Cost and difficulty (for a total novice) are what would influence me the most.

thanks
duncan
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

John Raabe

mogie01 - saw the question about stairs. The 1-1/2 story (20x30) plans have several stair options in the booklet that comes with the plans including a full U-shaped standard code stairway. This stair does require more width than the cottage stair and thus you would probably want to build it in a longer plan like the 40' version that Dave and Kim built.

Here is more information on code stairs from the Visual Stair Guide (this PDF will take a few seconds to load).

The U-shaped stair is the standard for the Universal Cottage plan.