RV Windows in a countryplan home?...

Started by ajbremer, November 01, 2011, 05:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajbremer

I've been shopping around for windows and have gotten some deals from people at work. Somebody else at work takes RV's and Motor Homes and makes trailers out of them. Well, he has all kinds of RV stuff and he asked me if I would like to have about 25 windows, all different sizes, huge to small. He said they are like new, with screens, and that he would give them to me for free.

I'm living in an RV right now while I build my countryplan so I've been living a life of looking out RV windows and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them as far as I can tell, some of them are pretty big and I like how they open and close so easily. I also realize that their probably not gas filled, low-E, double paned and all that and I would pay more money to heat and a/c the place. For the most part, I have just about all the windows I need, I'm lacking about 4 or so.

Can RV windows be a possible option in a countryplan home?
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

bayview

QuoteCan RV windows be a possible option in a countryplan home?

Sure, any thing is possible . . .    I think it would "cheapen" the look of your cabin.

If they are so great . . .   Why are they free?

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

rick91351

Windows are real energy problems to pencil out some times.  Why spend $300 when I can spend $100?  Number one reason I can think of most all $300 windows especially in a full time lived in dwelling are going to pay you back.

Number two reason is the dwelling going to be resold someday?  Most likely yes either by you or your kids to pay for your long term care.  Therefore look at  it as an investment of some type.  Is that going to be a point of sale?  Most likely yes.  If the builder cut corners there then I am starting to look where else did he cut corners?  Is it wired with #14 rather than #12 to save a buck?  Is it the roof the cheapest bargain basement three tabs he could find?  Most likely all the above I decide.  No thanks, lets go look at the next house.  Thanks for your time, and good luck.

Reason number three is how well will they hold up in that type of use.  Our old fifthwheel the windows side great and all that BUT it is ancient.  If a slider goes bad there are no replacement parts of it.  I just went through that with our shower door on that unit.  No parts are available this side of Mars.  I had to replace some catches on our name brand vinyl home windows.  No problem.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

I wouldn't use them in a cabin such as yours. Maybe a shed, maybe use them for a greenhouse.  ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CjAl

Mabey you could frame the wall for regular windows and just not cut the opening in.the sheeting except enough to fit the rv windows. Then you can buy windows as you go and can afford.

The rv windows will make it real hard to heat and cool

TheWire

If you watch the home center sales or watch for mis-ordered or slightly damaged units you can get some decent vinyl windows pretty cheap.

considerations

I got many of my windows from "bone-piles" at the local building supply stores.  They were cancelled orders, customers changing their minds, or the window was no built to the correct size.  They are brand name, double paned, gas filled etc....my best find was a 5' x 6' for $125.  Patience was my friend in this area, and being ready to move if the opportunity came along.

The difference between single pane and double pane windows in the winter is pretty remarkable.