Basic driveway chain or gate

Started by db4570, June 07, 2018, 03:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

db4570

I want to put a simple chain or cable across my driveway. I don't want to do anything elaborate or super-secure. I'm thinking a couple of 6x6's as posts with a strong cable or chain between them. Just something to stop a casual ATVer or curious guy with a pickup who might like to sniff around a bit, looking for something to swipe.

I'm trying to figure out how to attach the cable to the posts securely. I understand that anyone with a boltcutter or chainsaw could get through, but want to at least make it so someone can't easily undo it with a screwdriver or crescent wrench to unscrew an eye bolt.

Any suggestions?

David

MountainDon

My first thought is to tighten the nut on the eyebolt and then zap it with my welder. But then I have a welder.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

db4570

That was my first thought too, Don.

About three or four times a year I have a project where I say, "I wish I owned a welder." It's definitely next on my list.

David

Dave Sparks

Use an eye bolt that is bolted to the wood and grind round the the bolt flats.

I have something similar and forgot to secure it when a delivery truck was coming.
We have a pretty big driveway and fire trucks can get in easily. 
The driveway is not big enough for an 18 wheeler... I ask the guy are you driving a regular delivery truck and he said yes.

I spent the next 4 hours taking my fence down to get him out of my driveway.
At least I now know that I can get one in ;D   Use the chain alot more these days......
"we go where the power lines don't"

db4570

Well, I used this as my final excuse to order a welder!

This ought to get me into a bit of trouble. This first little job should be an easy thing to practice on. Then, on to fabricating tractor implements!

David