Building a near free RV storage garage

Started by glenn-k, January 28, 2006, 02:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

That is because I looked like a large rodent.  You told me the dirt wouldn't show in the picture. :-/

I looked like some wino off the street in Fresno.  The only thing missing was my jug of Ripple. :'(

Daddymem

I gotta agree with Glenn on this one....much more pleasant to see Sassy in a picture next to the rocks than Glenn...I've heard the tales from pilots about some wild man in the mountains who likes to run around nekkid  :D

glenn-k

My memory may be failing -- did I tell you about going out and waving to my buddy who buzzed our place? :-/  Maybe it was the Bare Crossing sign by the hot tub? :o

glenn-k

Slight setback today - the Bobcat caught on fire last night - electrical short I guess - fuel lines and wire burned, so I picked it up with the forklift and set it out of the way, then got out the tractor to finish the east wall.  No big deal - just another project for some other day. :-/

If the Bobcat never lived again, it wouldn't owe me a penny - It it is one of the most abused overworked machines I have.  It does the work of machines twice it's size.  I highly recommend a Bobcat for any of you wives looking for the perfect toy for your husband. :)

glenn-k

Overall view from the outside- balance of posts to be set so roof framing can be started.
Rocks were used instead of forms on the 3' thick walls

The wind generator is visible
It is about 100 feet NW of the garage

4830 window and walls
This window was made large enough to be an emergency exit from the back of the garage

The last of the east wall is finished
The window frame was built and nailed the the previously rammed and leveled earth

First set of rafters and loft joist go up.  It was near dark but I couldn't wait. I used one 3x6 as a top plate-- hey -it was free :)

This is loosely based on the Little House Plans - apologies to John -using free stuff so making a few modifications.  The docks measure 12'x18 feet total inside measurement at the second floor.   I used the Clipped Roof detail, as I want to transition to a low pitched porch roof all around--- having plans does have it's advantages - this was easy to follow.  The porch will help keep the lower floor dry by keeping rain away from the sides of the excavation and the stabilized rammed earth while giving us a nice place to display antique tools -machines etc. and have a nice place to sit and chew the fat while sipping a cold one and hiding away from the summer sun.   The dry soil will have less damaging effect on the treated timbers rammed into the earth in the top active area. :)

glenn-k

Hey Jimmy - I got to thinking about your barn picture  and Johns comments about it while working on my old garage - I think I want a little cupola in the top now too.  One with the 360 degree view like they were mentioning on the First Day.  Just one more thing to do. :)

QuoteA couple of days ago this great little barn was posted by Jimmy Cason.

Now, if I had a small library of modifiable plans I could work up a set of structural plans for this project in short order.

I would start with the 20x30 1 1/2 story plan (http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/50.html) - this probably has just about the right footprint for this building and with four options for the foundation I have that sheet almost done already. I think I would use the floating slab option and perhaps leave out the final slab pour and live with a gravel or dirt floor for awhile (you can pour sections with the slab).

For the pop-out addition, you could lift the end wall if needed making the shed roof a bit less of a pitch. This could become a greenhouse with a corrugated lexan clear roof over this section.

I would play around a bit to see whether this works better with a 10' or 9' sidewall. Using the details in the plans you could have a full loft or part of the building open with exposed beams tying the walls together.

The projected lift beam could actually be handy for getting things into the loft.

Working with a stock plan that allows you to do cut and paste drafting (as do all the plans on this site), much of the planning and structure can be worked up rather quickly.

A simple program such as 3D Home Architect would let you layout the interior floorplan, play with the stair options and produce an electrical plan. These could be printed and pasted into your evolving set of plans. For this building that program could probably also do some decent elevations with your customized window and door layouts.

It looks like the building has simple vinyl frame windows trimmed out with a painted 1x4 on the outside. And, of course, the place has been "shrubbed up" nicely (that's an architectural term  ;)).

No doubt about it. The very most cost-effective thing you can do to any building is to put in good long-term landscaping work — trees, shrubs, pavers and walkways. Nothing will add more life to the building while you're there or more dollars to the bottom line when you sell.

glenn-k

Pictures from  Sunday and a few from earlier - captions finally done.

Rammed Earth Garage and Sawmill--Link to album -- Will update as pictures are added

NOTE:  There are extra pictures here with captions that are not included on these pages.

glenn-k

For many more photos with captions go to the above album- I'm only posting a few here.

Pulling the structure square.  After pulling with a come-along a temporary brace is nailed on.
A shift while ramming the bottom story threw the top a bit out of square.  It is corrected here.  This is similar to a pole structure as post go clear to the bottom floor.

The form was pulled out of the arch today.  Roofing is started in anticipation of the coming rain.  Antique tin was used holes and all -felt was place under it in case of leaks - purlins were flat 2x4's an 18" centers over rafters at 4' spacing.

A little help from my friend.  The Kenworth can lift about 10000  lbs.  I need 2x4's and siding today.
The log is placed on the mill. I can cut logs 20' long x 30 " diameter -don't do it often.

This log is for Incense Cedar siding.  I'm cutting 5/8 x whatever -trim off cap --turn log 90 degrees and have 3 trimmed sides.  Last edge is left natural.

Resawing cant to make the last two 2x4's- A cant is a large slab sawn off the log - it can then be turned on edge and multiple boards resawn from it.  These 2x4s are the last of about 8 from this cant at 16'6" long..
Quality and warpage can be changed by changing the direction the cut is made.  Many times I straight cut if making siding or material that is not critical.  I usually try to get the best quality 2x4's and 6's but it depends on what I need - sometimes it is quite a bit of extra work or re-rigging as small sawmills don't usually have a method of handling heavy logs- that's where the crane comes in handy-- it is cable remote controlled.

jstig

Wow !!   Looks great Glen...  Did you say you are using John's plans for the garage?   If so which are you using?    

I like the adirondack siding you made -  would be great to find a local source for it here in Maryland.  Would look great on my little house.

Jim

Jimmy_Cason

Glenn, your wind generator reminded me of a Walmart I saw this weekend in Mckinney Texas. There are several solar arrays in various locations in the parking lot and HUGE 120-foot wind turbine with a 46-foot-diameter rotor.

Check it out here.....
http://www.irecusa.org/articles/static/1/1124996991_1051597266.html

http://www.forester.net/de_0511_walmart.html

glenn-k

Let me put it this way Jim-- I am using the 12 x 18 Little House Plans from the Big Enchilada Plans Kit  I like the Enchilada because there are lots of options.  I didn't know that the siding type was Adirondack - I knew there was a name for it.  Couldn't remember. :-/

Note that I can only use portions of the plans because I am using salvaged materials and turned it into a 2 story with full loft and it will have an odd cupola/viewing area.  I used the gravel footing under treated lumber - the clipped rafter style with 12/12 pitch, and will be working more into it as we go.  I hope to add the diamond window in the end wall - it is a garage so only so much I can use but it is looking quite like it should I think.

I also had to convert it to post and beam construction for the first floor rammed earth walls and use of the boat docks for the second floor.   Another reason for post and beam is that I was given two 35 foot semi-loads of 3"x6" bridge timbers from Yosemite- Wawona bridge - 1931 -still like new - probably straight old growth - no big knots - old creosote treated - not much smell or mess - and it's not hurting me either - except for this giant horn tumor projecting out of my forehead----Makes it much easier to carry building materials around though --- rocks - bricks ---- nearly everything.  :)

An interesting finding on the lumber from the bridge was that it was sawn on at least two different saws or sawmills.  Some had the straight saw marks of a band saw and others had lines from  a 30" diameter circular saw.  They probably weren't resawn as the circle saw marks were on all four sides.  At the time the bridge was built, round nails had been in use for about 35 years.  Before that nails were square and clipped off by a machine.  I have some new originals I use around the place once in a while- mostly for functional decorative purposes.  They pretty much quit making square nails about 1895 -now there are a few available as concrete nails - they are clipped then hardened.

The stabilized rammed earth anchors this thing to the ground and totally stabilizes the foundation and  helps stop moisture from getting to the wood- think of the Little house with a full basement.

That generator is a beauty, Jimmy -- I personally think we should see a lot more of them ---- but many whiners think they are ugly and get legislation passed that makes them impractical in many areas.  They actually make a pleasing sound and more birds die on clean glass windows than on wind generators.

Todays progress was slowed a little because a good friend called with a bunch of free stuff - more sheeting - an I-beam for my hay trolley going into the attic - no hay - just a cool trolley.  Note that I could buy new roofing but the idea is to make this place look ancient so I purposely exposed the rusty side of the sheeting and will hide the better stuff on the back side of the building.  Networking with your friends - a cool way to get free stuff - then you return the favor when you can do something for them.  Many times people just call me to give me stuff they would like to see me use in the place.

Siding after I put it on this morning -- note that the sheeting will be trimmed later.

Overall view
Siding is trimmed to corner -all work on this one so far with a chain saw -timbers too big for skillsaw with a few rocks

Nice view from the garage- I hope to somehow make the cupola big enough to have a bed to sleep in during lightning storms without it looking out of proportion.

peg_688

Lookin  8-) Glenn . Nice sunset shot as well. Your having way to much fun  ;) How is Mr. Cat , Bob that is ?  PEG

glenn-k

Not the fine quality craftsmanship you do, PEG- but it is rustic - and will be functional and will in it's own way be kinda cool and old looking - or at least different.  :-/  Thanks for the compliment, PEG -- it means a lot coming from a master builder like you. :)

I had to go work for money today but may get one more day in tomorrow.----- Selling myself for money -- I'm so ashamed. :'(

Mr. Bobcat is not feeling well right now --I think he went hunting with Mr. Cheney and is currently unable to comment.  I hope his engine is not shot. :-/

peg_688

It was a compliment :) It looks cool , I like it . Freedom in building , as long as it's safe , I like it . Really like the arched stone work , it will fit the area your in.

Wouldn't fit in town or in a sub division.

I get stoked when a client has old stuff to use and to put back into use , like these old things reused,  :)

old doors restored.

Stained glass used as relight into bedroom .

Dresser to vanity.  The waincot and chair rail in the back gnd , old fir flooring T&G and brickmold with a few router details  and a cap.

Nice job keep the photos coming ideas abound  :) PEG

BTW I'm just a simple counrty carpenter no more no less , but thanks for the kind words :)

Sassy

Peg, I really love those doors - they're the style I would like if I lived in town...  and the tree trunk post with its reflection in the window... very beautiful - has an oriental style to it which I've always liked - The other things you've done are very nice, too.

I'm into more of the detail work, finish work.  Glenn does the major work & I do the sanding & varnishing, the finish mortar work, stucco & cob, interior decorating, gardening (weeding, pruning, did a rock garden on the side of a slope) etc.  I would like to try my hand at building some stuff like cabinets, etc but by the time I do the other stuff I don't have much time left over... besides, I haven't really worked much with the saws & stuff & Glenn can do it so fast, I'd rather him do it & me finish it up or just be the go-fer...  :)  

joe_landscaper

Glenn, I really like your siding. Got any for sale for free? Just kiddin on the free part. I would love to have somethng like that on our cabin. Is it pretty easy to make with a chain saw mill? I dont have any experience with one but I have looked at the one by logosol and had them send me some info. Love your creativity.

glenn-k

You could make it on a chainsaw mill- I think the Logosol is one of the best chain saw mills from their literature - they have a special chain and blade , not as fast as the band saw but pretty good.

You just cut the top cap off the log get to a reasonably wide point by cutting an extra board or two (two finished faces -two unfinished edges) rotate the log 90 degrees then cut the rest- three finished sides - one ragged - makes it easy to install although for best coverage you don't level the siding- alternate large and small ends lap appx 1" to 1 1/2" as necessary for edge coverage - straight cutting makes the most interesting patterns although not the best warpage control -not usually a big deal though.

Joe Borden in Mountain Ranch (or maybe Sheep Ranch) California - just up the road from me about 75 miles --Wizard Engineering - is still making my sawmill too.  I don't know about pricing but not much worse than the Logosol and faster than it.

I could probably make some siding for a reasonable fee if you don't get a saw.  The Alaskan Sawmill attachment will also make boards on the real cheap - get a ripping chain if you use it - cheap -more work though--- but you may be surprised what you can do if you have the logs and energy.  Several models

Alaskan Sawmill  Look at the satisfaction you'd get saying -Yea-We made our own boards. :)

Jimmy_Cason

I saw a lot of these for sale at the First Monday Trade Days in Canton, Texas. ( The worlds biggest flea market)
For sale at 400-600 each!  The fabricator side of me about choked when I saw the prices of a simulated antique. I told my wife I could build one for 100-150 dollars and she would not be able to tell the difference. She told me to build the house first!

glenn-k

You forgot my strategy, Jimmiy --- you have to make her want it. :)

Take my RV storage garage for example --- I talked to my wife about it --- told her the old car would sit out for a year or more longer if I didn't do it now ---- she said I should be working on the house first --- so much undone.

I said the timbers were in my way - dangerous nails sticking out-- the right equipment was all in the yard- ground is soft now for digging - I wanted to try rammed earth ----on and on and on.  She said -- the house needs to be fixed first - finally got a well OK out of her because she knew I was too stubborn to drop it ---To her favor - she likes it and is helping a lot.

The most important lesson you can take away from this, Jimmy is  --- Sometimes my strategies just don't work. :-/

glenn-k

On another note----- this is really stupid of me to rat myself out -----

Hard day yesterday --stayed up late last night - Kathy works late shift so doesn't turn in early -- got heartburn from eating a big steak and several Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. --- The point -- I woke up in the middle of the night - didn't sleep well.

Made the coffee in a daze this morning - picked up my yesterdays clothes to throw them in the hamper in the bathroom.  Walked in --- lifted the lid---- threw them in.   Damn---- that wasn't the hamper ----it was the toilet. Had I flushed earlier?, you ask.  Of course --I'm not some kind of troglodyte, you know.  Oh wait --- I am a troglodyte --- but ---yes --- I'm a refined troglodyte-- I had flushed.   Pulled the dripping wet clothes out of the toilet - put them in the hamper --I'm sure that was probably wrong too but Kathy won't find out about this until she checks in here so hopefully I'll be off somewhere and not get into trouble. :'(

I told you this was stupid. :-/

I'm off to work on the garage. :)

Jimmy_Cason

At least you didn't lift the lid to the hamper thinking it was the toilet.....
Or is that going to be another surprise for her when she gets home?

glenn-k

Now that you mentioned it, maybe I better run in there and check. :-/

Doug_Martin

QuoteMade the coffee in a daze this morning - picked up my yesterdays clothes to throw them in the hamper in the bathroom.  Walked in --- lifted the lid---- threw them in.   Damn---- that wasn't the hamper ----it was the toilet.

Funny.  I did the exact opposite in college.  Late one night at a party at a friend's house I did a little "praying" before the porcelin god.  After I was done I dutifully flushed and went back to the party.  The next day I was told I confused the clothes hamper with the toilet -- it did seem to flush awfully quitely that night...

glenn-k

Thanks for posting that Doug-- I didn't really want to be the only one ratting myself out.

Working out of town a bit building a Safeway in Carmel ---doing my part ---so building will get underway again this weekend on the garage.

glenn-k

My friend, Danny came up to work on the garage again last Sunday.  It gets him out of the city for a bit and he really likes working on my weird projects.  We didn't get a lot done as I got a call to look at remodeling the semi-underground floor of a historic building in town. It was built in 1865 - finished in 1866.  Square nails in the boards - I think it will be a cool project.  

More on the garage soon.