Need suggestions to find a little house builder

Started by Epiphany, January 20, 2005, 06:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amanda_931

In the last message "riverfront property" is the stuff that tends to go sight-unseen for premium prices around here, probably everywhere.  

Here's a picture, somewhat altered, but that "Oh, Brother Where Art Thou" feeling really is there.  And this IS that neighbor's waterfront.  Their house is far enough up the hill that it won't flood, and I think they're doing mostly the right things with their land, except that right now they're not living there.

http://groups.msn.com/ap615/summerandfall03.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=258

Jimmy C.

QuoteI've been looking and looking, trying to find a builder who will touch a small house, with no success.  Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.  By small I mean about something between 336 sq ft. and 600 sq ft.  I live in the northeast Texas area.  Modular would be fine (but not a mobile home).  

Thanks.

Hey Neighbor! ;D

I used this web site to find a contractor to replace
my roof after one of our "Scary" North Texas hail storms this past May .

It is good to have people trying to underbid each other.

You should get 3 or 4 quotes within a couple of days

www.needcontractor.com/custom-home-building/texas/
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Epiphany

Thanks, Neighbor.  I put my info "out there" and had three replies.  One guy wanted to sell me a mobile home, but I have a meeting with a builder in a couple of weeks.  Not sure if we can come to terms, but he had some excellent suggestions over the phone.  Haven't heard from the third one yet.

Tiny House Company said they could custom build the 14 x 40 on a frame and ship it from Virginia but it would cost $2.20 per mile.  That really only adds about $2500 to the cost of the home - which doesn't seem like a lot to get what I really want.

DavidLeBlanc

QuoteAnyone have any dealings with Tiny House Company or Tumbleweed?

I had a nice long phone chat with the owner of Tiny House. A very nice gentleman. He mentioned local building would be lots cheaper, not to mention transport costs.

Tumbleweed's transport cost is $1/mile from Iowa.

Another alternative, with apologies to John, might be a precut kit. I fould a site in British Columbia that has some really nice stuff, ranging from "tiny" to medium-small. And, with it being precut, you slide right around any import duties coming from Canada (where raw lumber would attract the tarriffs).

I have my personal eye on the "Mica II", somewhat similar to John's "Builder's Cottage". $12,250 US. It's basically a shell, but quality doors and windows are included.

If you're shopping higher up the food chain than I am, you can find a  dream here! $45,000 for this one (the "Adams")!

They deliver and provide a very detailed and illustrated construction manual.

Keep in mind that prices don't include any interior features like  plumbing, electrical, sheetrock, cabinets etc. Exterior is supplied, even Hardiplank is an option.

I think they also do custom kits. Maybe you could get one to John's plans.

http://www.wildernesscabin.com/

Epiphany

Thanks, David.  Excellent advice.  I've admired the Mica II many times but again, would have to hire someone to put it together for me.  But at that price it would probably still be within the price range I'm looking for.

cynthia rutledge

Like you, I'm physically unable to build-it-myself.  Have you looked at the website for "wee houses"?  Totally pre-fab, about $45,000 complete.  I'm also looking at park model RVs.  Don't laugh until you see them!  Look under www.lonestarparkmodels.com for a retailer in Burnet, TX.  Also about $45,000, and some models look like cabins on the outside.

Epiphany

Yes, I saw those and found them interesting.  My brother-in-law has promised to come out of retirement and build the Builder's Cottage for me, if he's physically able.  He said he would supervise and contract it if he is unable to do it himself.  He's a wonderful custom home builder and says we should be able to build it for about $50 a square foot.  So I know the quality will be excellent.  :o)