Powerful seat belt message

Started by John Raabe, December 11, 2012, 04:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

This is a new "wear your seat belt" ad the UK is doing - started by someone not hired to do it, but because the cause is important to him. He came up with this idea, and now it's being hailed across the world as a "beautiful" commercial....

http://www.youtube.com/embed/h-8PBx7isoM
None of us are as smart as all of us.

rick91351

Thanks John - I hate seat belts yet I am phobic about wearing them.  I hardly will get in a vehicle without buckling up.  About a month ago we were going back to the ranch from church services.  We approached a blind corner was well into it when we met a hunter and his daughter going way to fast and thinking they were the only ones on the road.  I took to the barrow pit was almost into the hill side.  We almost tested out the seat belts and air bags.  The hunter was nice enough to correct his course and kept on going and never checked if we could get out.  My words of wisdom is do not be lulled into thinking when you are in the sticks ............   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

sparks

I'm dating myself a bit, but I remember when there were no seat belts in anything. Somewhere around 63 or 64 the feds mandated their installation in new vehicles....just a lap belt......use was optional. How things have changed. Laws. Enforcement. Penalties.

A person I know owes his life to the modern restraint systems installed in the newer cars now.

And he never argues when his little girl reminds him to buckle up.

That person I know wasn't me, he is my son........

sparks

My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

UK4X4

They design modern cars with rollover strength, frontal-side and rear impact crumple zones to limit the damage to the passenger cell.

if you already left the vehicle through the windscreen none of that technology helps you.

There's always 1 or two stories floating arround about death by seatbelt

But in the majority of the cases the seat belt saves lives.

My wife in a family car in venezuela last year left the road in the wet impacted the far side of the ditch almost fling the truck rear over front, and ended up, luckily upright in a flat stretch of forest.

she and my daughter were the only ones wearing seatbelts- they were the only ones un-injured and still in the seat where they started !

MountainDon

Quote from: sparks on December 11, 2012, 11:18:41 PM
  I'm dating myself a bit, but I remember when there were no seat belts in anything. Somewhere around 63 or 64 the feds mandated their installation in new vehicles....

1968 was the year the fed law kicked in.  But prior to that many US cars had the connection points designed in by the engineers and they were a dealer or DIY installed option. I talked my Dad into letting me add them to the 62 Chevy he bought. It was a cheap Biscayne 4 door sedan with "three on the tree". I wanted the belts so I didn't have to hang onto the steering wheel to keep from sliding around on the cheap vinyl seats as I did stupid things with the car. Much easier to control when you don't have that worry. Oh, the other option I talked him into was 380 hp 409. He had a boat and trailer.

I've worn a belt ever since.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.