Insulating Basement Walls

Started by jbos333, January 12, 2013, 08:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbos333

Hi everyone,

I am looking for the best (cost effective) way to make a walk out block basement qualify as "living" space, insulation wise. It will be new construction. What I am looking to do is have the 3 sides that are below grade insulated enough to meet the energy code - is it R-19? Does anyone know if it has to be R-19 even though its below grade? And what do I do with the 2-3 feet of wall that will be above grade?

I should explain that I'm looking to leave the block wall finish on the inside for that "industrial" look, maybe just a coat of paint. I don't mind running conduit or BX cable and surface mount boxes. So, outside insulation and/or the core-fill stuff might work. I figured someone on here might have been involved in something similar.....

Looks like R-10 is my minimum based on a chart I found online...

MountainDon

http://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCodeReqs/?state=New%20York

The R10 is continuous like sheet foam (footnotes) That's the minimum. More could be better long term
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jbos333

Thanks for the link, MtnDon. My county is zone 6 so it looks like 15/19 for me. So R15 polyiso sheets should do it. Or some combo of smaller r values.

I was also wondering if the fact that I'm going to be using it as living space makes any difference.?