dug & Jenny's 20 by 30 1 and 1/2 story

Started by dug, December 06, 2009, 10:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

A nice double rainbow to end my day. Pictures never do them justice but here it is-

MountainDon

Let me add something to the fire issue. We have developed a relationship with the county Fire Marshall.  This morning I checked in with him and told him I would like to do some burns this weekend and next week if conditions were right. He said there was a no burn order in effect but since we've been good stewards he gave us the okay till the 9th October.  It helps to get to know the officials.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Native_NM

That is a fantastic pic.  You have done a great job on your place.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

dug

Here is my entry for a potential you tube viral hit-

Thankfully I didn't come up with a winner and the window was successfully installed without incident. I borrowed a 24 ft, extension ladder from a friend that reached from the ground but it was a lightweight aluminum one that was so flexible I felt like I was on a carnival ride. Jenny thought I was being a wuss so I told her to get up there and see what she thought and she returned to solid ground in full agreement.

This setup felt really solid and was not as sketchy as it may appear. Everything was well secured and little left to chance.

We were going to put a non operational stained glass window there but after seeing how heat builds up near the ceiling this summer I thought it might be wise to put one in that opens so we could allow it to vent out. I may try to figure out a way to attach (glue?) some stained glass at a later date.

hpinson

Wow Dug. That looks just like a New Mexico house should. Congratulations!

Sassy

Love the picture w/the rainbows - the sun on the far away trees & your cabin - it all looks great!

:D  That picture of you on the ladder - classic!  Glad you got the window up w/no problems  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

beckhamk

Dug,

On your dbl hung windows did you use screws through the jams?  If so did you end up removing the plastic side panels on the jams to place your screws?

Thanks,
Kyle

metolent

Now, that's some nice ladder work!  I always look forward to checking in the progress of your build Dug....   [cool]

dug

QuoteOn your dbl hung windows did you use screws through the jams?  If so did you end up removing the plastic side panels on the jams to place your screws?

Thanks,
Kyle

I just shimmed and put a few finish nails through the wood casing. They are the only windows I have ever installed so take it for what it's worth, but it seemed to work well.

dug

Not a whole lot has been accomplished since my last update three weeks prior, I got a job working on a renovation project on an old hotel built in the 30's and its been sucking up most of my time and energy. I've never bent conduit before but after laying out several thousand feet of pipe I'm starting to get the hang of it. Five floors (plus basement) and 15 foot high ceilings assure that I come home dog tired every night.

A little bit gets done here and there though, I have a goal of getting at least something accomplished every day. Lately it has been a lot of mudding.

In some ways I really like this part, a semi-mindless job that involves a bit of artistry- fun to do while cranking up some good music. I'm glad to be nearly over it though, as I've had about enough "fun" for now.

I did get the dormer plastered and finished out the window-

Meanwhile my 12 year old built, furnished, and electrified his place in one day. He may need some work on his construction techniques but I thought he did well considering he got no help or guidance from me. I did cut the door opening (where he marked) but other than that he did everything.

Pine Cone

Quote from: dug on October 04, 2011, 09:17:26 AM
I may try to figure out a way to attach (glue?) some stained glass at a later date.

A simple way to cheat at a stained glass look is to use cling-on stained glass film like these
http://www.wallpaperforwindows.com/pc/Stained-Glass-Window-Film-c36.htm

Your place is really looking great these days

Native_NM

Looks great.  Its great to see your son learning such important skills at an early age.  Regardless of the path he takes, he'll be better off having learned to think, create, and assemble by himself.

Kudos!
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

duncanshannon

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

OlJarhead

Awesome!  Very cool that your son got to do that!

Sassy

[cool] that your son was interested in building his own little getaway & went ahead & accomplished it!  Your place is shaping up really nicely - great view from the dormer! 

I can't say that I enjoyed the mudding part that much when we remodeled our house in the valley...  only had to mud the closet in our bedroom at the underground cabin since that was the only concession Glenn would allow for sheetrock  d*

dug

Thanks Sassy, and everyone else also.

Young Ben is quite the builder and this is only his latest of many projects, he really gets involved in them and worked from sunup to sundown on this one. I try to interject some advice now and then but he gets ideas in his head and is determined to see them through, I can relate to that.

I have no doubt he'll "get it" as time goes on.

dug

Merry Christmas everyone!

It's been awhile but I'm still plugging away, trying hard to juggle work while attempting to get the interior ready (enough anyway) in time to enjoy a little Christmas cheer inside the house.
It was kind of down to the wire and just last night we drove into the forest to cut our tree. It was a great time tromping through a foot of virgin powder, me dragging a 7 and a half foot pinion, my youngest carrying the hand saw, and our faithful dog Spot running point scouting for danger and giving chase to spooked bunnies. I only lacked a lit pipe in my mouth to complete the classic Norman Rockwell scene, and I look forward to the fond future memories of it.

Trying to decide on color, not so easy.

Speaking of color, what do you think of the one we chose for the ceiling?

It will only be a backdrop for the reed cane that we are putting over it, but pretty weird to look at on its own!

Installing the tongue and groove pine flooring, rough side up-

working on the edging and stair noses-

Sanded and ready for stain and oil-

Late night staining project, feeling some pressure with Christmas coming in 4 days. Color is natural walnut-

The finished result with 3 coats of Bio shield hard oil.

My son said that it looks like it's been burned, and I'll admit that the stain brought out the saw marks a little more than I thought it would but I really like it. Looks like old barn wood.

We are enjoying a white Christmas today but I have no pictures. Here are some from a heavy one we got a few weeks ago.

Nice snow curl on the porch roof-

Hot coco on Christmas eve, a bit risky posting this one as my wife warned me not to take it. We had both had a hard day and no time yet for showers, but I still think she is beautiful!

Other completed tasks include pouring footers and posting up underneath the floor where the wood stove hearth will be, painting loft and kitchen, a little bit of siding and trim work done on the dormer, reed cane installed on ceiling, among many other varied menial jobs. I neglected photos so I will post them soon.

Still tons to do on the interior, how is it that the more jobs I complete the more my "to do" list grows?

astidham

nice work dug as always.
I love the pine floor! it does resemble barn wood and the stain really makes the grain and character pop.
the walls really have dimension with the texture you used!
What color are the walls? 
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Alan Gage

Looks great Dug. I'm feeling the pressure on getting my interior done too. I did get to spend all Christmas day in the new house though. Unfortunately I was mudding drywall.

Alan

dug

Thanks astidham. I think the main color was called dorset gold by Benjamin Moore, but there were a couple of colors layered over it.

Alan- I can relate to the mudding headaches- as I stated earlier I sort of enjoyed it but by the third touch up coat it was getting tiresome. You are flying on your build though, and the drywall will soon be a distant memory!

beckhamk

on reply #266 you have a dewalt tool next to the lip of your stair - what kind of tool is that?

BTW:  I love the wall color, floor all looking fantastic! I cant wait till we can get our floors done, along ways to go.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: beckhamk on December 27, 2011, 05:47:03 PM
on reply #266 you have a dewalt tool next to the lip of your stair - what kind of tool is that?

BTW:  I love the wall color, floor all looking fantastic! I cant wait till we can get our floors done, along ways to go.

Without stepping on Dug's toe's   ;)  I think what you are seeing in reply 267 is a biscuit jointer.  If you will notice in the ends of the flooring next to the step small half moon splines or biscuits sticking out of the ends of the flooring.  The tool cuts a semicircle groove to accept the biscuits ( football shape) which joins the flooring to the edge. There is a small kerf cut by the tool in the corresponding piece to be joined.   They actually serve two purposes.  One being elevation alignment and the other to keep the joint tight. 

dug

Yep, it's a biscuit joiner. My friend had just bought one and offered to let me use it and I almost declined because I didn't want to complicate things too much, but when he showed me how easy it was to use I took him up on it. Another great tool that you never knew you needed until you tried it, then it becomes a must have!

Glad you like the color- I do too now but it was a bear trying to decide on one, I think I'd sooner get a root canal next time!

Sassy

Love the colors you chose for the walls & the floor looks great!  Very warm & cozy.  And tell your wife she looks good after working all day...  Glenn always wants to post pictures & I threaten him w/his life if he's planning on posting a exceptionally horrid picture of me  :D

EaglesSJ

I love that TG stained floor you have down. i may do something similar in the loft of my addition