Our Build In Lincoln Co Mo

Started by garyc, February 20, 2015, 06:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyc

Been reading on this blog for the last six month and really enjoy it. The wife and I bought fifteen and one half acres in Lincoln Co. Mo. We are planing on building a house and barn in the next year. We bought the little house plans kit and the 20'x30 1-1/2 story cottage plans. We haven't decided on how big we are going to build yet.
In order to get into the land we had to build a driveway in a 18'x40' easement and across a wet weather creek, we did this last fall & winter.
Please bare with me, my spelling & punctuating is not the best. And I still have A VCR that is still blinking 12:00 o,clock.
That should give you what type A person I'm.

Marking & cleaning up the drive in the easement. 

Clearing out trees & brush at the entrance of the property.

Dugout for the 30'' culvert pipe n the dry creek or some people call it a wet weather creek.

Installed culvert pipe and covered  with rock. I'm now able to drive in with my 2 wheel drive pickup.

If it wasn't for bad luck . I would 't have any luck at all.

garyc

To get the rest of the drive done, I hired a high lift to grade the rest of it and dig ditches on both sides.

The next day I got the sides of the drive finished graded, seeded & strawed. My budget was $5,000.00 spent $8,000.00 .
I need to do a better job of estimating .

garyc

As Paul Harvey would say," Now the rest of the story." That night and the next morning after getting everything done, except for the large 6" to 8" rock around the 30"culvert pipe, we got 8'' of rain. This washed the culvert pipe out and about 4 loads of rock.   

This is where the 30" culvert pipe was  :-[

:-

Seed & straw washed away. 

Rock & culvert pipe  down the creek.   >:(

UK4X4

Obviously not a dry creek !............and maybe needs a larger culvert !

Sand bags - gabions may be required to safely divert that fast flowing stream into the culvert and prevent errosion
obviously flows pretty fast and powerful when wet !

garyc

UK4X4

You are right. It does needs a bigger pipe. The rain storm we had that night caused a lot of flooding. People that had large culvert pipes in their driveways for years got washed out. After talking to a few contractors it was recommended that I go with a larger pipe and don't use plastic! And that I should go with concrete pipe. So after everything dried up I had a 36" concrete pipe installed.

36"  concrete pipe installed, three 8' sections at 4500 lb a piece

Top of drive over pipe.

I'm planning to pour concrete down the front and back sides of the pipe.

rick91351

If we lived a lot closer I sure would take your plastic pipe off you hands. Idaho is just too far away but we are sort of planning a trip over your way sometime this year.     ;) 

But the way the stuff in the crystal ball is lining up most likely sometime this year next year!!! ???
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

dablack

Wow!  That is crazy! 

Glad you overcame it!

Your ditches look good and wide.  Don't let water flow over that road and it will last a good while.

If you have any build up of water in the uphill ditch, fix it right away.  I let one of my uphill ditches get away from me, and I'm still fighting it. 

Austin

garyc

Quote from: rick91351 on February 24, 2015, 08:55:04 AM
If we lived a lot closer I sure would take your plastic pipe off you hands. Idaho is just too far away but we are sort of planning a trip over your way sometime this year.     ;) 

But the way the stuff in the crystal ball is lining up most likely sometime this year next year!!! ???

Rick
You would spend more money in fuel hauling the pipe back to Idaho than it is worth. You are more than welcome to come by and see us.

garyc

Quote from: dablack on February 25, 2015, 10:17:07 AM
Wow!  That is crazy! 

Glad you overcame it!

Your ditches look good and wide.  Don't let water flow over that road and it will last a good while.

If you have any build up of water in the uphill ditch, fix it right away.  I let one of my uphill ditches get away from me, and I'm still fighting it. 

Austin

Austin

We made the ditch wider & deeper after losing the pipe hoping it will act like a detention pond. The culvert pipe is only about 50' from the property line and the neighbor has his ditch full of junk. [ lawnmower, washing machine, dryers, old tires,scrap steel ] We think the reason the pipe came out is that  something got stuck in front of it and caused the water to go over the top.   

jmonroe

We are looking to do something similar on some land that we own not too far from you in Warren County.  Right now we are looking to build a road to the property so that we will have easy access.  We will also have to cross a creek.  We got one estimate that was recommending a 6 or maybe even 8 foot diameter culvert but said they could probably get by with a 4 foot diameter.  After reading this, I am thinking we are going to want at least the 6 foot culvert.

Thanks

garyc

I would go as big as you can . This spring we had A large down poor 3 + inches and the water came over the driveway. The good news is that nothing got washed away.

garyc

Sorry I haven't posted in a while been busy with my business and taking care of the family. Also I get on the lazy side at times . Did get a little done, planted a garden and started clearing out an area for the house. Also dug  the footings for the barn.

My son helping  clear out the woods for the house.

My wife planting in the garden.

Digging the foundation for the barn.

garyc

The day after we got the footings dug it rained for a whole week.

Here are the drawings of the barn that I am wanting to build.

this barn is similar to what I want to build.

garyc

Well we got another 8'' of rain! Guess what. The rock around culvert pipe washed away and moved the pipe side ways. Had plans to concrete the sides and top of the pipe but Mother Nature beat me to it. http://countryplans.com/smf/Smileys/default/sadsm.gif

nailit69

Mother Nature does not want that culvert there does she... might want to think about a bridge over that.

Adam Roby

Woah, luck is really not on your side.  I suppose that means the culvert is still too small?  The bridge idea is perhaps a good one...

pmichelsen

The power of water is truly amazing.

UK4X4

That be a wet weather river...not creek !-

when rebuilding get some gabions or make them yourself for protecting your bridge
or doubled up culvert

Flow and or volume was simply to much to just pass through the culvert, being that the protective rock and grade stone was loose, it just eroded away

garyc

Sorry about not getting back sooner. I was waiting for an expert to look at the pipe and give me a solution to fix my problem. Building a bridge would be best but  about $8,000.00 is more than I can afford. The next best thing would be to reset the pipe and dig the driveway lower past the pipe, so the high water does not flow over the pipe. UK4X4 I like your suggestion using the gabion basket. It would be a lot faster and easier than forming and poring concrete. I'm hoping Monday we can get started.       

garyc

My son was off work the weekend of July 11th  and offered to help to reinstall the the pipe. So I rented a large excavator to get the job done.   

All the pipe removed and a new rock base put down and restalling the pipe.

Decided to install the 30'' plastic pipe next to the concrete pipe.

Had to add 5' of plastic pipe to make it the same lengh of the concrete pipe.

Next job fill around the pipe with 1'' minus rock.

I rented A skid loader to dig the driveway lower so the water does not go over the pipe.

Putting surge rock over the pipe and driveway this rock comes right of the crusher without being separated or cleaned.

We had so much rain the ground is saturated the dump truck got stuck.

Installed the large rock on the sides.

Doing the finish grading of the driveway.

garyc

One week later we had a 2'' of rain in a half of an hour so the wife and I drove to the farm to see how the pips did. I hope the 3rd time is charm and I don't have to spend any more money on it. looking good!   :)

This is a low water crossing we have to cross before we get to our property.  Same rain storm!

garyc

Finally got a dry spell , no rain.  d* Got the foundation in and back filled.

My son was off work this week and was willing to help out. So I took advantage of it.

Day one.

Day two. did not get a lot done. Had to work between rain showers.   

Day three.

I'm hoping to get the sub floor installed on day four and start on the trusses on day five.   

garyc

Day four, Installing the sub floor.

Doing the deck dance.

Laying out the gambel truss.

First one up. It only fell down on us one time no body got hurt just a little bruised. It was a long day eleven hours.

Day five . Got the framing done under the truss. Short day had to go to work in the after noon. :(

Got a lot done in five days. My son is going back to work Monday so progress will slow down working by myself.

garyc

I finely got the trusses done. Been A busy week.

Now I need to get busy installing the rest of the OSB sheeting. Hey if you guys see something that I'm doing wrong let me know? this is the biggest project that I have done by myself.     

astidham

you are making progress.. that tractor has a lot of uses. nice work
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford