Wall Height

Started by David.DiPietro, January 29, 2009, 08:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David.DiPietro

Hi.  My wife and I are building the 1 1/2 story 20x40 (was the 30 ft plans but we are extending to 40) cabin in Slatyfork, WV near Snowshoe ski resort.  I have been poking around and reading posts for a few months now and have found a lot of good information here.  We have cleared the area where the cabin will go and put in a driveway as well as the septic system.  We are waiting on the well driller to dig the well next.  The area has had a lot of snow this year so we are waiting for it to get warmer and dry out to proceed.  We are building on concrete piers.

I have a question regarding the wall height.  Does anyone know if there is any problem with going to 12 ft wall height (instead of the 10 ft that are in the plans) using 2x6s?  Would any additional changes need to be made?  The first floor will be 8 ft and the additional height will be in the loft.  Thanks for any help anyone might have.  We are looking to start framing in April.

Dave

tesa

w*

i'm fairly new here as well, and in fact, you've asked the exact question i want to know too

we'll wait for wisdom to rain down on us together

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

John_M

My cabin is 18 x 32 but very similar to what you want to do.  I built with 12 foot walls (2x6).  I like the extra room upstairs.  You can check back in the archives of my blog to see the whole construction process.

www.ourlittlecabin.blogspot.com

You will find John and the others very helpful here!!  Good luck with your project!!
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

rwanders

I built a 24x34 with 12' walls---1 1/2 story with the extra height in the loft---2x6 walls without any unusual problems. You can see it in projects forum under "1 1/2 story nearing completion in Alaska".  The extra height really increased the usable floor space in the loft.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

David.DiPietro

Thanks everyone.

John, thanks for the link to your cabin blog.  Your project is very similar to ours.  I couldn't tell by your pictures how you attached your rafters.  Did you notch a ledger into the 2x6s like in the plans?  Thanks.

Dave

Redoverfarm

w* David.  Or should I say neighbor.  I was wondering when someone close would get on the forum.  I am a short distance from you at Rimel ( Va. Line) east of Marlinton.  Exactly what area of Slatyfork are you. After I retired and worked at Snowshoe not for the company but contractors and  home owners.

I think a lot of conversation on the kneewall being so far above the floor level was the force against them by the roof.  I am sure that it probably has been addressed and will get answered by John or someone that has already crossed that bridge. 

As for the well I guess you are waiting on Pritt or Hyer.  Hope you are not on the ridge where water is sparce.

David.DiPietro

Hi neighbor!  We are about 6 miles south of Snowshoe on 219 and just south from the Elk River Touring Center.  We are waiting on Hyer to do the well.  We should be OK with water as there 2 natural springs on both properties either side of us.  Our one worry with the well drilling is hitting a cave so hopefully that won't happen.  We are excited about getting started soon.

Dave

Redoverfarm

Dave check yoou PM box as I sent you an informal.

tc-vt

Dave,

Have you considered going a full second story?  I built a 1-1/2 and would do a full second story if I did it again.  It gives you more windows for more natural light and more vertical wall space for furnishings and the additional cost is not too high.  If you stay with the 1-1/2, make the knee wall at least 4 feet tall  which will increase the amount useful space.

Tom

John_M

Dave,

I used 2 x 6's beneath my beams to hold them up.  Kind of like how a jack post would hold up a header above a door or window.  I know it is not the best for insulation purposes and such...but it was what I decided I wanted to do!!  I was a novice (still am I guess), and I was not comfortable with "letting in a ledger".  I usually overbuild things...it's a disease I think!!  Live and learn they say!!

My personal preferences say that a 1 1/2 story with dormers has so much more character than a 2 story.  The dormers give us plenty of light and we have a lot of room up there.  It's just a cabin for us though!!  Again...just my opinion.
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!