14 x 24 questions.

Started by supershrpy, May 26, 2010, 01:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supershrpy

forgive me if this has been asked before, but i tried searching before posting.

i seen some pictures of a 20 x 30 one story house. link here:

and towards the bottom is pictures of these panels he made. how can i get more information on how to build panels like that? i am curious if i could construct panels in my garage for a 14 x 24 foot house? if so that would be great...

one more question is it possible to use a heat pump or central heat and air up under the floor like a regular house - in a 14 x 24 foot house? i want this house to be on crawlspace.

thanks.

NM_Shooter

Yup.  This is for a 14x20 :  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=4782.msg96549#msg96549

We didn't sheet the walls as I was using 9' osb to tie to the rim joist and end joists to hold the walls down when it starts to blow  ;D

I ended up using a little more framing lumber as the spots that my walls joined I have two studs placed together.  You don't have to do that, but I wanted my wall sections to be a bit more durable in transportation. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

rick91351

This is a link to another panel project that was done it is the 20 X30.

http://www.countryplans.com/cody.html

I would think you could do them in your garage or outside a storage unit and store them for use.  It would require a little framing knowledge and just penciling everything out where you want it and how big of a panel you might want to mess with.  Moving them with the sheeting attached would certainly make them more stable but adds weight.  If I were you and I chose to do so I would lay out my panels so door and window headers do not run from one panel to another panel.

As far as placing a heating and cooling unit you would need to show your plans to a HVAC installer.  I am sure they would be agreeable under the house in the craw space but that small of a build they might have another idea - they can get very creative.  
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

supershrpy

yeah... that was the link i was meaning to put but forgot to copy and paste  d* lol..

i thought you could do that.... thanks guys!

Onkeludo2

Regarding the HVAC, in a 14' x 24' I would seriously consider a two zone mini-split unit heat pump instead.  If not that, a heat pump with a single, central trunk line running through ceiling could use a "wall-hanger" package unit like those used on construction office trailers and other "temporary" office trailers (often used as overflow classroom as well).

The mini-split would be ideal if you basically have two large spaces.  It would be extremely quiet and the installation location of the indoor units is extremely flexible.
Making order from chaos is my passion.

NM_Shooter

I visited Don's cabin over the weekend.  His 15.75' wide cabin seems a whole lot more wide than my 14' cabin.  I'm wishing for that extra two feet of width! 

BTW... the pictures of his property really don't do it justice.  They keep a very clean camp and very well organized too. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"