First Day Cottage In NY

Started by speedfunk, February 14, 2006, 01:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedfunk

QuoteForgot to mention - slate with good cleavage -which is most of it can be split down to about 3/8 thick with a hammer and chisel - I use about a 4" wide brick chisel and 4 lb sledge.  Put the chisel along the edge at the thickness you want and tap several times along the line in different places-same line- it will usually split after a few taps.  Then you have a shingle or tile or whatever, and depending on the thickness of the original piece you could have several nearly the same.  I did a shower floor with it - someday may actually finish the walls and bathroom - ours is mostly black with gold colored streaks -probably iron - in it - some has a few iron pyrite crystals.
t

Thanks this is a great bit of info........  Very cool actually.  I was going to use the shale ( it's all over the ground) ..but it is fragile and I was thinking it would prob. crack under the weight of a person.  Yeah I'd like to see a pic if you get around to it.   It would be nice to show my wife something ...she doesn't quite see possolibities in raw items off our land.  I'm hoping she will like using mostly materials from our land.  It would just make our place blend in so much.   Being that the house will be bearmed heavily on 1/2 the east side and the northside completly.  

speedfunk

QuoteLooks like the roof will need some kind of support structure in the middle.  Otherwise I like it a lot.

Yeah I have an idea in my head.  I will draw something out and post it to see what you all think.  I would have to say roof loads and getting them within code is something i'm not sure about what I'll need.   :-/

glenn-k

Below is a photo of three types of floor off of our property or from the local area.  The upper part is about 7% cement stabilized earth floor - center is the slate I mentioned above - couldn't find the shower picture yet.  Bottom is cob floor - clay 30% sand and aggregate -claystone etc -70% - straw - no cement - 4 coats of linseed oil on top after dry then acrylic sealer.  Cracks are filled with sand clay -charcoal -bonding agent grout.

Working out of town for a bit so will get the local slate photos later.

speedfunk

Good Pic....  I like the slate look.....  and best of all ..free :)