Tools Necessary to Start Building?

Started by Miedrn, June 22, 2006, 03:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpatti

The two things I was most impressed with when we helped build a house were...

Nail guns, which I'd never used before and found the most awesome thing since sliced bread.  I was suddenly a wonderful carpenter with one of those!  I can't believe I ever built anything without one before. 

And second, I don't know what it was called, but this guy had his chop saw set up with a ramp with rollers on it for the lumber.  Made it so fast to cut lots of pieces at once, like joists and roof boards and such.  Again, just made me so much more efficient than I'd ever been before.  Dunno what it's called, but if I were building again tomorrow, I'd be at Home Depot today looking for one.

Those were the two things that really impressed me, beyond the stuff I was already familiar with.  I'd not build without them now that I know about them.

MountainDon

There is one tool I've depended on more than any other single tool. It's my notebook; 8.5 x 4 inches. A pen slips in the spiral binding and the notebook slips in a pocket or tool box.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

For me, a brain would be good too, but as you mentioned, Don, I think the notebook is more reliable..... [ouch]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

waggin

Since I'm going to be building without access to power, I'd really like to have at a minimum a cordless circular saw.  I can precut a bunch at home, but there will be some needed cutting onsite.  Some of the cordless kits are pretty nice looking, and their price tags reflect that.  Can anyone recommend some moderately priced (but not junk) cordless saws or possibly kits with a drill/driver and other accessories?  There's always the tradeoff between price and durability.  Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

glenn kangiser

The green Ryobi with the Lithium Ion batteries is pretty good.  The bearings are better than their blue ones in the circular saw.  The Blue one is junk - bearing breaks out of plastic holder behind the blade - Green one is aluminum frame around the bearing and pretty durable.    It is my second choice set for work around the home and a bit better - My first choice set is my Makita LXT 18v  but rather expensive

Their drill drivers etc work with either battery - the green stuff will get you the lithium batteries.  Fast charging and long life - about double or more the working time of the other batteries so they are quite usable.  They will charge off a cigarette powered inverter of around 350 to 400 watts.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I built our cabin using a Ryobi 18 volt light weight circular saw for virtually all of the hand held saw cuts. One caveat. There are two models the ryobi blue one and the green lithium ion one. As far as I know the green one is only available in a kit. Other than the battery the big difference is the bearing; the green one is by far the best. The blue one cracks the plastic bearing mount if the blade is shocked. I broke mine when I hit a nail. Then the blade vibrates and just doesn't cut as smoothly.

The lithium battery is vastly superior to the nicads. Last longer and supplies more torque it seems.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xif/R-202025183/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
$260 currently, 4 tools and 2 li-ion batteries.

I'm still happy with mine. I bought a replacement as I was in the middle of building and later got the old one replaced under warranty. Leave one at the cabin all the time now. The rotating head flashlight is handy.

Basically I used three saws; the little Ryobi for most work, my mitre saw for finishing work and a reciprocating saw to trim the builtup beams. OK, 4 saws. The chainsaw.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

One other caveat. The shoe is rather light. Put it down lightly.

waggin

Thanks for the advice, Don & Glenn.  I'll look around for the Ryobi (green) kits.  Funny, I never would have thought of Ryobi, as I always thought they were really low-end stuff for big-box stores.  Then again, the cheap Ryobi weedeater/hedge trimmer that I bought 8-10 years is still going strong, other than the hedge trimmer is starting to bind up a bit. 
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

Ndrmyr

I've been using the blue Ryobi 18V stuff for years, and have been adequately satisfied with them, mostly because of the reasonable cost of replacement batteries which in contractor grade often equals full replacement of the tool with a new one.  I have however moved up the the Li-Ion green Ryobi which is sweet, and as mentioned is substantially better.
I was able to get a factory refurb at Direct Tool Factory Outlet stores which are often at the Tanger Outlet Malls. Cost: $100 for the 18V Drill, (2) Li-Ion batteries (choice of compact or extended run) charger and softcase with a one year warranty at any Ryobi Retailer.  I recall getting an email coupon some weeks ago for $75 for the same combo from the Direct Tool Store.  Frankly, worth that for the batteries.  I will eventually replace all of the Ni-Cads with the Li-Ion battery and the Green Drill Driver is smaller, lighter and more powerful than the old. However, I will NOT every give up my Makita 10.8V Li-Ion Compact driver and drill set.  If I'm driving a screw under 3", I reach for it, will use the 18V if driving 5" and 6" screws.  Fits in a tool belt or holster and the built in light is great for middle-aged eyes in dark corners. My first set was stolen and bought a second without hesitation because I knew I couldn't live without them. I stuff sets of drills, drivers into the aluminum case which is a tight fit, but I'm always ready.
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

glenn kangiser

waggin

Quote from: glenn kangiser on October 28, 2010, 09:48:07 AM
Brush Clearing before the build

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/10/26/gator-machete-junior.html

Somebody I know was quoted on that page.

Reminds me of the first Crocodile Dundee movie:  "You call that a knife?  Now that's a knife!"

That Ryobi P845 kit looks like it might be a winner.  I like the combo kit concept, and I'm sure the other tools would come in quite handy as well.  I'd love to have more info on getting an extra battery without parting with a kidney too.  Right now, it looks like around $90 for the 2nd fullsize battery.  Although, if it will charge in 60 minutes, then maybe one fullsize plus the compact one is enough.

MountainDon

I found I like to have three (full size). That's because I find myself using two tools or more, switching back and forth, and being spoiled I don't like to change batteries a lot.   ;) 

waggin

Now, to muddy the waters, Amazon has an 18v Li-Ion Porter Cable combo kit (#PCL418C-2) with the same configuration for $269.00:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038SUXA8/ref=pe_116440_17479190_pe_epc_d8

The saw is an extra inch in diameter, but everything else looks similar.  It even comes with one large and one small battery.  Is Porter Cable better/worse/same as Ryobi?

MountainDon

I can't comment on current P_C quality. They used to be top line, back 20-25 years ago I bought several of their tools. Nothing recent except for a pancake compressor.

The larger dia. blade may be a bonus. The Ryobi cuts all the way through 2x material at 90 degrees. But it falls short when cutting a bevel.  The 6.5" P_C would be better on that type of thing. I resorted to my 7 1/4 corded saw for those. I wonder how much an extra large battery would cost?

MushCreek

I bought a Milwaukee 18V kit a while back. It has a drill/driver, Sawzall, and circular saw, 2 HD batteries and charger (plus the usual flashlight). They are great- like corded tools. I'd like to add a dedicated driver and a couple more of those expen$ive batteries. Street price is around $400, but I bought them on the 'bay for $225.00, from a dealer. Don't know why they were so cheap, and didn't ask! They're factory fresh, not reconditioned. The new Li-on tools are amazing, and the batteries deliver full power right to the end. Milwaukee makes two different batteries that fit, the XC, and the compact. Haven't tried the smaller compact ones.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

glenn kangiser

OK guys... I have been having trouble with my Maglite 3 Watt LED flashlights - they go intermittent sometimes but part of the time that is a low battery... then I lost my new one when looking for my cows on the Bush Hog, so went back to my old one and started looking for something better.  Amazon of course tracked me and in my e-mail they sent a suggestion... a good one.

Fenix LD20 205 Lumen model - Note there is a 180 lumen model also.  2 modes  6 types of lightoutput.  Includes strobe mode.  This thing is bright enough to give you brain damage.   71 hours in survival mode (9 lumens ) or about 2 hours on high as I recall.  Extra "O" ring, lanyard, case and rubber button insert included.

The Maglite 3 watt AA - 2 or 3 cells cost around $26 to $30.  The Fenix is $48 for open box if they have it or about $58 for new in a 2 AA cell model.  It has a clip that is strong enough to rip your blouse pocket..... [waiting]

Just found built in Morse Code SOS - I mean bright too.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B2MMDW/ref=oss_product

[ouch]  Just reading - Warning - capable of causing eye damage ---- so - I guess I exaggerated a little above.....

Pritch

Hey Glenn,

The Maglights, even the LED ones, are OBE.  I have the Fenix LD10, which is the single AA version of the one you mentioned.  The amount of output is amazing and they last a LONG time.  The only real adjustment, other than all the new modes, is that when the battery drops below a certain level, the light is done - no dimming to let you know to start looking for fresh batteries. 
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

glenn kangiser

They are great, Pritch.....except... I figured this one would be easy to hang on to..... Super heavy clip ...fit into my flashlight holder tightly...

Lost it in about 3 days...... [ouch]

I know where I last had it and can't believe I lost it that bad... and I keep hoping it will return.... back to the old intermittent Maglight again.... [waiting]