Viewing photos

Started by williet, January 09, 2018, 03:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williet

It's been a while since I was on the forum and in that time I seem to have lost the ability to see any pictures. Is there a magic button I need to push for this? I looked up the Photobucket 500 thing and was told I would need to pay $4oo to enable it .... Is that the price to view the pictures now?

MountainDon

Hi williet, no you do not have to pay photobucket. For many years photobucket encouraged people to upload photos to their hosting service. For all those years they allowed people to share those pictures in many ways, including placing pictures on websites and forums. That use is known as third party image use. Last year PB had a change of heart and ceased to allow the sharing on websites and forums.

Now if the person who uploads the images to PB wants to use them on a forum, that person must pay PB an annual fee that would then in turn allow the pictures to show on the forum. As a result there are forums and blogs and assorted webpages around the world where the images have been replaced by that PB error and ransom note. So many images here are now gone because of that change. Sorry but there is nothing we can do.

There is a method that can allow some of those PB images to be viewed. There is an addon "photobucket fix" or something like that for the Chrome browser. I beleive there is one for Firefox as well. However if the person who uploaded the images to PB has deleted their PB account as many have in spite, that will not work. Also, the new PB user policy is that PB free accounts that remain inactive for over a year may have content deleted. One of the PB accounts I have used had almost all images deleted. So again, the addon viewer is not a long term solution. Very sad.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.