My 20x30 cabin with loft in quebec

Started by Bobby.B, December 08, 2007, 10:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby.B

I can't wait until spring to finish my siding winter is just way to long

glenn kangiser

Glad you checked in Bobby... we'll be waiting for new pix.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Bobby.B

ride up to the cottage to check it out

We had to park my truck on a side road and snowshoe in

The snow seems to be sliding off of the roof ok

http://picasaweb.google.com/bobby.boisvert/Cottage2009Winter#

Bobby.B

My wife would like for me to build a cinder block wall in the cottage 10' long x 7' high. I think this might be too heavy for the floor??? Do they make a fake cinder block light weight??   Thanks

MountainDon

There are a number of fake rocks available. Out new Lowe's has a good sized portion of the facade done in it. I don't know about cinder blocks though?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

You could throw a beam and supports under it, Bobby.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Bobby.B

Glen if I was to put a beam and supports would I have to dig down past the frost line ????
                                                                                                                    Thanks

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Likely it may want to move if you didn't - up there in the Great White North. :)

NorthernMich

Are your sidewalls standard heighth?

My cabin is similar but smaller and ...well here's the link

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2750.0

Are you insulating?

Bobby.B

Side walls are 10' high
Yes I will start insulating my cabin this spring I am patiently waiting for the snow to melt before I can start work on the cabin. I like how you insulated your floor first this is something I guess I should have done looks like I will be crawling around in the dirt under the cabin now.

glenn kangiser

You can pretty well only do that floor insulation first if there is no chance of water getting into it during the rains - such as roof complete if rain will be a problem.

Alberta Curt

Hello Bobby,

Love the place.  It looks great.  I'm going to build our veranda this spring and was still thinking about how I was going to tackle it.  I wanted to have it continue off the existing metal roof but thought it might be too late, having already installed the metal roofing.

Can you tell me a little bit about how you installed your veranda?  I see that you added it after-the-fact as I am going to try, yet yours has the appearance that it is continuous.  I also see that you used a ledger board.  Would love to hear/see more about the veranda installation.

Curt

Bobby.B

I started by removing the fascia board. This gave me a 1-1/2" of roofing sheet metal over hang .I then joined the new rafters to the sides of the existing rafters, installed the strapping snug up to the sheet metal this allowed me to slide new roofing under the existing roofing . I started my sheeting from left to right all top right corners had to have a nib cut out of them this allowed them to slide under the existing roofing .When you install your second sheet you will see what I mean .I am sure this is not the proper way of doing this but it did work for me .

Alberta Curt

thanks Bobby.

Can you repost the pic?  Maybe its just me, but I can't view it.

Curt

Bobby.B

not sure whats up how is this
showing strapping

Trying to find roof pitch

Alberta Curt

The pic of "finding the pitch" worked, as did the last one.  Thanks Bobby

Did you have to bend the metal on the veranda to match the angle of the roof?

Did this design hinder the sofit at all?

Sorry for all the questions Bobby............probably more coming.

Curt

Bobby.B

I did not bend the metal I just slid it underneath the existing roof metal

Soffit was ok

Keep the Questions coming hopefully I am being some help to you.

Alberta Curt

Thanks Bobby.  did you use any flashing where the metal roof meets the metal veranda roof?

Heres a picture of what I'm working with..........

Bobby.B

No flashing used and I have not had any water leaks either

Alberta Curt

Looks awesome Bobby, thank you.  I'll post some pics when mines done.

Thanks again for all your help

Bobby.B

Alberta I was at the camp last week so I took a close up picture of the roof where they overlap each other.
I am looking forward to seeing addition pictures of your cottage it's looking awesome nice choice for roofing 

Bobby.B

Well we got back up to the cabin last weekend  -7 was kina cold with no heat. we did have a couple of space heaters that really didn't help much.

Got a little bit of siding done 8 rows took me about 4 hours to complete I guess I am a little rusty after the long winter.

My cat Griffin did not seem to be to cold sun tanning on this rock

Terry

I don't see the pics. Only a box with a red X.  :(  ???
Terry

Born Free - Taxed To Death

MountainDon

Yes, the images that should be in Reply #71 and #72 do not appear for me either. They would seem to be hosted on an unfriendly to forums image service.  :(