Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Quote from: Yonderosa on May 03, 2011, 08:11:44 AM
Looks mighty good!  I'm very impressed.

Thanks Yonderosa!  I'm very excited and having now milled the trees we fell into lumber, dried it, planed it, milled it into T&G and nailed it up I feel a real sense of accomplishment!!!  Thinking back a couple years I had no idea I'd be doing this! :)

OlJarhead

My next trip is in the works and should be a busy one!  I have SOOOO much to do still but I have to both budget what I do as well as prioritize it and pace myself.  So the next trip should include the following:

1.  Dig irrigation well, root cellar, outhouse hole and gray water drain holes.  We may also expand the area around the composting toilet shelter to improve it.  We will be renting an excavator and a friend will do the honors.
2.  Remove insulation from walls and finish drilling them for wiring and then pull in wiring.
3.  Continue to plane lumber for the walls and make it into T&G.
4.  Finish framing the wall behind the stove and mount the hardy backer board to it (need to shorten the board too) so we can finish the paneling on that wall.
5.  Put a cripple stud in above the door.

And with luck maybe we can get some more T7G on the walls and burn a bunch of slash and mill scraps.

So much to do!

We also have 18 more Red Oaks to try to plant (assuming my plan to save the saplings works -- I had the boys plant them in the garden in weed barrier sacks as we didn't have time to plan them all) and I need to get at least two apple trees planted up there also but I want to make sure they have the standard root balls so they will survive the colder climate of our property (it was down to 20 Saturday night but up to 60 during the day Sunday).

My plan was to have the interior paneling in by the end of spring but it's a slow process so I might have to shift that to well into the summer.  So, with that in mind I also have at least one more tree to drop right away (to clear the panels for more sunlight) and we could get that milled and dried for use this summer.

My son also wanted to make a night stand with lumber we milled so we may try to do some of that also.

I think I need a cabin party soon!!!

rniles

Very nicely done! Looks good and straight down from your own trees. Nice.
I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. - Col. Stonehill in 'True Grit'

OlJarhead

Quote from: rniles on May 03, 2011, 12:50:19 PM
Very nicely done! Looks good and straight down from your own trees. Nice.

Thanks :)  I just can't wait to do more!!! We have a LOT of wood ready to finish and the idea of having a finished interior is very motivating!

OlJarhead

I've been going to the cabin every other weekend, for the most part, and admit that while I need to do things at home (like get some garden work done, laundry etc) I'd much rather be at the cabin milling lumber and turning it into paneling!  However I have to start gathering supplies for the next trip so what better time then now?

My current list includes:

1.  Romex Staples (my old supply is running low)
2.  Fresh Air Intake - I've not installed it yet but need to do so before the cabin is closed in.
3.  90 degree drill attachment (I've got some spots I can't get my drill into so plan to get something I can with).
4.  DC Fan installed in conduit for vent stack of composter (I broke the last one so need to get this one fixed and installed.
5.  Wire for composter fan (need to take 12vdc about 20 feet so I'm thinking I should use some decent wire)

I also plan to get some cereal rye and FINALLY found where I can buy it by the 200lbs bag!  It's a bit spendy but I think it will be worth it (it can be used for cover crop / soil fixing, grains for bread, grazing for deer and more).

And I also need to get a couple fruit trees and some fencing as well as 10 feet of 24" PVC pipe for the new well...man I have work to do!!!

mogie01

Wow, great work.  We wouldn't even attempt at try to make our own panelling  [cool]  - it would save us a bunch of money

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 07, 2011, 09:47:52 AM
I've been going to the cabin every other weekend, for the most part, and admit that while I need to do things at home (like get some garden work done, laundry etc) I'd much rather be at the cabin milling lumber and turning it into paneling!  However I have to start gathering supplies for the next trip so what better time then now?

My current list includes:

1.  Romex Staples (my old supply is running low)
2.  Fresh Air Intake - I've not installed it yet but need to do so before the cabin is closed in.
3.  90 degree drill attachment (I've got some spots I can't get my drill into so plan to get something I can with).
4.  DC Fan installed in conduit for vent stack of composter (I broke the last one so need to get this one fixed and installed.
5.  Wire for composter fan (need to take 12vdc about 20 feet so I'm thinking I should use some decent wire)

I also plan to get some cereal rye and FINALLY found where I can buy it by the 200lbs bag!  It's a bit spendy but I think it will be worth it (it can be used for cover crop / soil fixing, grains for bread, grazing for deer and more).

And I also need to get a couple fruit trees and some fencing as well as 10 feet of 24" PVC pipe for the new well...man I have work to do!!!

Did you find that rye close to you or are you ordering it on the net? (my guess is close to you, but I thought I'd ask) ... I'm thinking a similar thing for up at my property, and in my garden overwinter.  I'm actually thinking wheat, rye, barley (I'd love to try malting and brewing from it), and oats (I have three separate gardens here at home).

MountainDon

Quote3.  90 degree drill attachment (I've got some spots I can't get my drill into so plan to get something I can with).

Ryobi makes a nice 90 degree 18 volt drill
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on May 09, 2011, 09:57:31 AM
Did you find that rye close to you or are you ordering it on the net? (my guess is close to you, but I thought I'd ask) ... I'm thinking a similar thing for up at my property, and in my garden overwinter.  I'm actually thinking wheat, rye, barley (I'd love to try malting and brewing from it), and oats (I have three separate gardens here at home).
http://www.seedsource.com/catalog/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=8050

Found it there :)

Not sure how oats would do but I'm of the same frame of mind ;)

THe rye can be used for bread as well as wiskey ;) or just feeding the deer and fixing the soil.

I'd actually like at least an acre of everything you mentioned except maybe the barley and add corn :)

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on May 09, 2011, 01:16:05 PM
Ryobi makes a nice 90 degree 18 volt drill

THanks Don!  I'll check it out.  I have a lot of their stuff and it's treated me well over the years.

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 09, 2011, 07:20:33 PM
http://www.seedsource.com/catalog/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=8050

Found it there :)

Not sure how oats would do but I'm of the same frame of mind ;)

THe rye can be used for bread as well as wiskey ;) or just feeding the deer and fixing the soil.

I'd actually like at least an acre of everything you mentioned except maybe the barley and add corn :)

Well, corn is going to get planted late this week and into next ... harvest will be in August/September time frame - at which time the entire 40' X 25' bed will get tilled, and seeded with one or two of the four I mentioned.

Like you, I'd love an acre of each - which is why I'm going to try a test plot up at the property this fall and see how it goes.  From all my research, rye and winter wheat (and barley, to some extent) will over winter pretty good and then take off in the spring.  Which means I'll have to plant here and run up there to harvest!  I think that's a good excuse to have to go to the Ranch, don't you? "Beautiful, I HAVE to go and get that wheat and rye off the property or it will simply rot!" :D

Another reason to get an ORV to get up there as early as I can...

Thanks for the link!  I'm going to run and check it out

OlJarhead

WhooHoo!  Took the day off tomorrow so will be leaving early to get to the cabin and get working :) ;D [cool]

I'm pretty excited actually!  Why?  Becuase while we go every two weeks we don't always go with a lot of planning or things in mind but sometimes I have the chance to plan things out a bit and it's those times I get most excited about going :)  This time I plan wiring, paneling and more!

I'll take pictures :D

Seeya!

OlJarhead

Just got in but wanted to share some pictures.

We installed the wiring on the West wall (the one with the stove) and installed the hardy board.  Then put the insulation in and began nailing up our pine paneling.

We had a little trouble getting used to the new router table I bought on the way up and had to mill the paneling in 4' and 5' sections until we got used to it then went back to 8' pieces.  Overall we had a great weekend and you can see the results :)

I'll get more of all we did later but wanted to share this.

Erik

OlJarhead

Once we arrived Friday and got set up Kurt and I set to planing boards while Josh and James (son-in-law to be) installed some wiring and stuffed insulation back in -- except this time they staples it and got the wall ready for paneling.

Saturday Kurt and I picked out a nice chunk of 2x stock, ripped it to 5 1/2" and then ran it through the plane once or twice to take the roughness out (didn't need it though) and then used it to frame the wall behind the stove for the hardy board.  Which we then installed over the insulation.

With all that prep work done we began nailing up panel as it was made -- ok I let them make enough to get ahead of me and then Kurt and I installed panel while Josh and James made it.

Saturday James spent much of his time burning a big slash pile.  It was great to get rid of it :)

OlJarhead

Just something about being at this stage of the build that makes me want to take a week and go back and stay and work on it!  But I can't :(

So I guess these pictures will have to sustain me for a while.  I don't expect to have the interior done until mid to late summer but can't wait!!!  The day we drive up, pack in, and kick back for a weekend is the day I'll be in heaven :D

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

OlJarhead

Quote from: Sassy on May 17, 2011, 10:09:01 PM
nice paneling!

Thanks Sassy :)  We think so too!  I just CANNOT wait to get it all done!

OlJarhead

Is it possible to be addicted to working on your cabin and being there?  I'm just asking!

Seriously though, I'm finding it very hard to be motivated to work or do other things right now because I can't stop thinking about getting more done!  Sheesh!  You'd think after nearly two years I'd at least be ok with a two week break...and it's only been 3 days!!!

Ahh well, guess I better get back to work...

Pine Cone

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 19, 2011, 05:20:57 PM
Is it possible to be addicted to working on your cabin and being there?  I'm just asking!

Seriously though, I'm finding it very hard to be motivated to work or do other things right now because I  ::)can't stop thinking about getting more done!  Sheesh!  You'd think after nearly two years I'd at least be ok with a two week break...and it's only been 3 days!!!

Ahh well, guess I better get back to work...

Been there, done that...

And you're in the wrong place if you want any sympathy ;D

My project is less than an hour away from home or work and in the last 5 years the longest break in visits was about 3 weeks and that was because the Hood Canal floating bridge was closed for 5 weeks, turning a 45 minute drive into a 2-hour drive.

Until this year when the cabin was pretty much finished I made 3 or 4 trips per week.  I can't imagine the additional stress I would have had if I couldn't go out at least once a week.  I used to spend my sleepless nights thinking about different ways of doing this or that.  I'm pretty sure I built my cabin more than a dozen times in my dreams/nightmares before I actually got it finished. 

In the end, all the pondering and obsessing resulted in a variety of great design changes.  The most obvious is our 16'x16' foot covered deck which wasn't even a glimmer of a possibility in the first two years of the cabin design ideas.  It showed up in part because I was thinking about what the view might look like if I stood on the porch I originally planned to build.  Didn't like what I seemed to be building, couldn't blame the design on anyone but me, so it was up to me to come up with a better solution.

Early on in my cabin project I realized that if I wasn't sure about what to do next, the correct answer was to do nothing but obsess about it until I figured out what the next step was.  Pauses and some deep breaths can often prevent some small problems turning into big ones...

This year I'm working hard at making sure I relax some most days I go out.  There will always be an unlimited number of new and old projects trying to get my attention. 

I guess I'm still addicted...  ::)

OlJarhead

OH boy I think we're related!!!

I can lay in bed at night and think about various parts of the build.....for HOURS!

Or on my drive to work...

Or at work.....

It's a sickness I guess :)  But I can't wait to get back and mill some lumber and and and

duncanshannon

Ha!

Love where this thread is going.  I'm suprised by how much I'm thinking, learning, and planning my home remodel 3 year plan!  Once home is done, THEN onto the cabin!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 20, 2011, 08:44:53 AM
OH boy I think we're related!!!

I can lay in bed at night and think about various parts of the build.....for HOURS!

Or on my drive to work...

Or at work.....

It's a sickness I guess :)  But I can't wait to get back and mill some lumber and and and

When you run out of logs to mill at your place, I can probably fell a couple trees at mine for you to mill  ;D  I know what you mean about the addiciton - I haven't been to mine in nearly 6months, and it's driving me nuts (some might say that's a short walk, no need to drive)... and to top it off, I was planning on next weekend, but that has to change to the weekend after next (I don't think the snow is enough gone to get in there!)... then it will be 3-4 weeks before I can get back up there!

Ah well ... I'm looking forward to it, though! :)

OlJarhead

Very little snow out there now...maybe traces up around 5k feet but I just can't there being that much up there now...none at all at the 3280 feet we're at or Gordon's 3700.

OlJarhead

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=48.60204136700653&lon=-119.75509643554688&site=otx&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Mid 50's during the day at 4500 feet west of Tonasket (don't know where you are but figured you're over there somewhere) and mid 40's at night...how high are you?

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 23, 2011, 05:24:52 PM
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=48.60204136700653&lon=-119.75509643554688&site=otx&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Mid 50's during the day at 4500 feet west of Tonasket (don't know where you are but figured you're over there somewhere) and mid 40's at night...how high are you?

I'm at 3900' - 4300' - but it's shaded pretty much all the way in once you get off the county road.  I'm  up north of Buzzard Lake ... between there and Conconully.

There is still snow in the Loup Loup pass web cam shots (although VERY little), but 3 years ago I went up the first of May because the web cam showed no snow, and gave up about 100 yards in from the county road because it was still axle deep.  I went back a month later and got to within 3/4 of a mile, and it was still axle deep at that point.  Last year the snow went out fairly early and I was able to get up there on the first weekend in May.  Still had some snow, but not so much I couldn't get in to the property and put the floor down.

I think I really do need a snow capable machine.  d*