Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdejarn

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 19, 2010, 10:06:14 AM
Thanks guys -- I think I misspoke so to speak -- I'd read somewhere (I think JR posted it) that there was a clear treatment for exposed wood siding that should be applied first (or maybe it was in a cabin building book).....

But I suspect it isn't as important as just getting a stain on and sealing it.

I also need to put down some ant bait!  And more mouse traps/bait.  I think there must be a million forest mice and the ants have invaded!

I have been there!!!  At the Ace in town (Tonasket) I have bought Terro spray, and have had great results w/ ants.  I have sprayed twice this year already, and will again this weekend when I go over.  Good luck!!  Those guys are nasty this time of year!

OlJarhead

Thanks JD

Didn't get the job I was interviewing for so it's back to cabin work!

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 20, 2010, 11:45:17 AM
Thanks JD

At least they told you right away.  Some I've interviewed with lately, seem to forget that it is a common courtesy to simply say, "sorry, we don't think you're a fit"

But, you get more work on the cabin done now! [cool]

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on May 20, 2010, 01:27:28 PM
Quote from: OlJarhead on May 20, 2010, 11:45:17 AM
Thanks JD

At least they told you right away.  Some I've interviewed with lately, seem to forget that it is a common courtesy to simply say, "sorry, we don't think you're a fit"

But, you get more work on the cabin done now! [cool]

Amen!

I've got BIG plans for the cabin this summer :D

Woodswalker

My cabin has rough-sawn fir T1-11 panels for siding.  I stained it last summer with a penetrating oil stain by Olympic, called cedar toner.  Sold at Lowe's in 1 & 5 gal buckets.  This siding really soaks it up.  Think I used 4 gal. to do 16' x 20' cabin.  Gave a color about what you describe.  My place is near L Curlew, so similar climate.  Personally, I intend to just keep repeating the oil stain, and not use any sealant.

My cabin-build thread does not have pics since the siding got stained, but I can send one if you contact me with an email address.  Am enjoying your postings of progress.

OlJarhead

Just got back today.  Pretty beat but we managed to make it home again safe and sound -- despite 4 or 5 construction projects on roads that didn't need it...hmmmm.....

OK, so we have the composting toilet in and working!!!  Yahoo!  No more bucket!  That's right, we were using a luggable loo for all this time and FINALLY have a toilet and no longer must use a bucket....has it really been THAT long?  Wow!  8 or 9 months!

OK, so we still have work to do -- TONS and TONS but having a toilet is just, well, awesome :)

OK I never said the bathroom was done or anything *chuckle* and yes, we will put the linoleum in later, but for now, we can use the toilet and that's well, provincial (or some such thing).

OlJarhead

We arrived on Friday with our new ATV trailer and once we were settled in for the next week we assembled our new trailer ($239 t Ranch and Home) and headed into the trailer for the night (we'd left the tent trailer up for the 3 days we were at home so we didn't have to set up much once we arrived).

The next morning while my step son slept in (I let him do that most days) I got up, had coffee and breakfast (fried bacon and eggs and toast) and then loaded up the trailer with dirt from our 'excavation project' for the composting toilet system.  I then towed it over to our easement road and used the dirt to fill in holes in the road.  It helped to smooth it out actually :)

We also brought in an old tree that someone before us had cut up and left laying there.  It was pretty rotten but I felt we could dry it out and use it for camp fires.  The trailer was a BIG hit (with me anyway) :)  [cool]

Of course trailering around with ATV's wasn't the main mission and this ought to be evidence that we actually worked!  Yes, it's a picture of a mess *chuckle*.  Sometimes when I'm working away I don't worry about how things look, I just want to get the work done and well, the more tired I am the messier I can be.

So ya, it's a mess, but we got a bunch done and cleaned it up later :)

From this spot you can get 2-3 bars of Cell coverage!  It's rather amazing since there is NO COVERAGE ANYWHERE near us.  It appears we catch the towers in Omak (about 45 miles by road but more then likely only 20 or so miles line of site) through a gap in the mountains to the south west of us.  Just downright amazing.  I'd heard that sometimes others have found 'secret' spots like this too but it's rare in these parts....I think our land just went up in value ;)

Cleaning up the wood pile :)  Finally we have one!  We've burned a lot of wood over the winter just trying to keep warm but most of it came from slash piles.  Now with the trailer we intend to get ALL of the good usable wood stacked and dried so next winter we will have LOTS of campfire wood.

For the wood stove we'll start a different pile (and wood shed eventually) for drying/seasoning the firewood for the stove.  I'm told the local ponderosa pine is ok to burn as long as you burn it hot and that's a good thing because while we do have some fir and tamerac we've mostly got ponderosa and a lot of it is in need of removal (maybe 10% of the trees appear sickly or dead).

The composting bin installed -- temporarily anyway.

We were in a bit of a rush (never should be though) when we did this install but I feel it will hold us for at least a year or two.  It will be completely enclosed in the 'shed' once done and the vent stacks run back to the cabin wall and then up above the eves and as high as I can get them and not have them blown off or look odd -- I want them to work properly.  I also plan to either install piping from the cabin to vent warm air into the composter shed during the winter or install an RV heater in the shed to keep it above 50 during the winter -- at least that's the plan.

We also plan a privy as backup however but honestly, digging this 4 foot by 6 foot by 2 foot 'basement' was darn well enough digging for me!  Sheesh....actually we also dug the overflow trench and french cess pit but that's covered now.

In fact, we even picked up the rocks for the pitt on the easement road after dumping dirt to fill holes....we're talking labor intensive here.

Actually, I'm lying.  I have more holes to dig :(  I have to dig a 41" deep hole for our grey water drain system and then a trench that goes at least 5 feet away from that hole to another that will provide the leaching for the greywater system....and then I have a privy to dig and a root cellar...am I nuts?

Anyway folks...there it is :)  We head back in less then two weeks to try to get the roof done (haven't I heard that before?) oh ya, and I noticed that my neglected post and pier foundation needs work :(  I meant to get more braces in there.....

OlJarhead

Getting ready to head out again. :)

My list is a mile long but main elements of this trip (besides ducking weather) will be the roof and the foundation.

The weather has been VERY rainy (way more then normal) and 10-15 degrees cooler day after day.  The cool weather is nice but rain makes cabin work - um, wet.

;)

JavaMan

Yeah, I'm hoping for dry(er) weather by the time I get up that way on Wednesday.  I noticed that nearest town to my place got 1.49" last Thursday (a week ago) - that's quite unusual from what I've been learning with the historical weather data.  I'm wishing I had my rainfall harvesting set up and working already.

Of course, that would mean the roof would be on the shed, which would mean that for all intent and purpose it would be finished - at least on the outside, and I'm a ways away from that  :(

My plan this time up is to get the 2 walls up that are framed, plus the other two framed, up, and sheathed, and to do the roof - at least the ridge and rafters - hopefully the sheathing, too, and the shingling.  I also have some windows to install.

Ambitious, I know, but if I don't have it planned out, it won't get done.  I've found, the last 2 times up, that I can accomplish what I wanted to way faster than I think.  Then I'm sitting there with nothing to do and I get bored and head home.  So this time, I am going up with a plan to do more than I think I can, and hopefully I will utilize the entire time that I've blocked out!

Maybe we can get together for a lunch or shake this time, if we can get it co-ordinated  ???

OlJarhead

Just a primer :)  Despite rain, hail, lightening and ridiculous weather we managed to get most of the roof on!!!

We also got the wood stove inside and began the chimney work but more on all of it later.

Cheers
Erik

Solar Burrito

Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

OlJarhead

Quote from: Solar Burrito on June 12, 2010, 09:29:38 AM
Any tips?

On the roofing?  *chuckle* Hmmm.....

We did the roof by the following method which worked nicely:

1.  Have Ryobi 18v cordless drill ready with two new batteries charged (that was a life saver).
2.  Pre drill holes in the panels at once (we stacked all 13 for one side and measured off the holes and marked with a sharpy, then pre-drilled all the holes with a bit smaller then the screws.
3.  Have main roofer climb onto the roof using the roofing ladder (Java you can borrow my hooks when I'm done if you like) and safety harness and position the ladder etc (I tie off my drill to my harness so it won't fall off the steep pitch and cost me a drill).
4.  Nail two nails on the gable edge 1/2" in from edge (depending on roofing material type, some is 1/4" etc) instead of chalking a line because you will find it much easier to square the panel to the roof that way).
5.  Son grabs panel and pushes it up to you, you grab panel and place it onto the roof in approximate place. 
6.  Son climbs ladder and positions panel with correct overhang and placement, you put the first 3 screws in and son goes to get next panel while you screw (in my case top down) the panel off.

I'm no expert and this is the first metal roof I've done but I'm very happy with the system we developed :D  It took us 4 hours to do the first half (26' length by 11' 6" panels) and only 2 1/2 hrs the second half.  It went faster once we got used to it.

The hardest part was the roof dance:

1.  Climb ladder to pitch
2.  sit on pitch
3.  move ladder to right spot
4.  climb down ladder to eve
5.  hoist panel into place
6.  climb ladder to pitch
7.  position panel & screw down panel while climbing down ladder.

Repeat ad nauseam or until roof is done :) :P

OlJarhead

OK so here goes.....

After having returned to the USA in 1995 I've worked or gone to school (or served in the Army) all but a few months.  So in 15 years I've NOT collected all but perhaps 3 months worth of Unemployment Insurance despite paying into it often at rates much higher then those who have continuously extended their benefits of late.  So, after being laid off from my high paying (not that high) job I decided to make the system pay me and do some 'deck' work ;)

Then, of course, I didn't understand the system and botched my first weeks claim and lost it when the commies canceled my claim.  Now I'm told, after collecting just one week, that I MUST report at 8:15am to be schooled on how to find a job by Uncle Sam -- or he'll take my money away.

Amazing really, since Uncle Sam hasn't helped me get a job since leaving the Marine Corps in 1991 and that one lasted all of 4 months since the individual I worked for didn't like the military.  Ahhhh such is life.

Anyway, I digress!  I'm taking some time to 'look for work' up in the woods ;)

Josh (step son) and I left for the hills on Friday last and arrived at our site around dinner time.  We got set up and it started to rain so we relaxed in the Tent trailer and hit the hay early.

Saturday we got up and moving (after coffee for me) and pulled the tarp off the roof.  I had a lot of work to do and we hit it hard.

First step was to plug the last hole in the roof with a sheet of OSB and then to nail off the roof -- I hadn't completed that task when we dropped the lid on and so needed to go back over it all to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

Once the roof was nailed off (South side) I began to put the 30 lbs felt down on it.  I worked from the top down by not nailing down the bottom 1/2 of the felt and slipping the next row up under the previous one.  This proved very hard on a 12x12 pitch but I got it all but one piece done before the rains came!

OlJarhead

By Saturday dinner time I was pretty much done but needed to complete the last row of felt.  That would have to wait as weather wasn't improving.

Managed to get all but one piece on the South side done and started the North side but the weather was not cooperating.

A friend of mine stopped out and after enjoying the fire, shooting clay (with 18" security barrel -- talk about fun and challenging) we got back at it and finished off most of the North side.

And set the little wood stove inside.  It's about two feet right of it's final location.

OlJarhead

Before we got too far, however, a hail storm came up and really whollopped us!

It started looking like winter and the hail was really sounding crazy on the tent trailer.

Thunder rolled and the rains let loose to really make this June look like winter!

I caught this pic of the storm over our mountain....it was crazy in there!

Lightning struck nearby too!  Caused an old stump to burn.

OlJarhead

The neighbor sent me this picture.  The bird feeder in the tree is 6 feet off the ground.  He's eating from one that is 4 feet up....15 feet from the front door of their cabin.

They decided to stop feeding the birds...er...bears....

I always carry something when I'm out there.  This is why.

OlJarhead

ScottA

Congratulations on getting the roof on. Looks good.  :)

JavaMan

Thanks for the offer of the ridge hooks!  I didn't get everything done that I wanted to this trip, but that's ok.  I really need to find a building partner that can come and stay up there the duration I'm up there.

I wanted to say thanks for the offer to come and help with my walls :).  I hated to turn it down, but I just wasn't far enough along to use it  :(  But eventually we'll have to get together for a coffee, shake, or adult beverage of choice.

I won't get your thread off track here, but I did want to comment that your cabin looks pretty darn good!  Is that all new metal roof? or did you find it on craigslist?  I've been searching for some, but so far haven't found any in my neck of the woods.

The weather was a bit squirrely last weekend.

Oh, and yes, you do have to go to that job hunting "class" ... as if you didn't know how to fill out the claim every week, and your hunt record... I didn't one time and they wanted the money back for that week - even after we got it straightened out.  It's about a half day of listening to someone say most of what you already know, but you get a "job contact" credit for it for that week...  ::)

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on June 15, 2010, 10:02:01 AM
Thanks for the offer of the ridge hooks!  I didn't get everything done that I wanted to this trip, but that's ok.  I really need to find a building partner that can come and stay up there the duration I'm up there.

I wanted to say thanks for the offer to come and help with my walls :).  I hated to turn it down, but I just wasn't far enough along to use it  :(  But eventually we'll have to get together for a coffee, shake, or adult beverage of choice.

I won't get your thread off track here, but I did want to comment that your cabin looks pretty darn good!  Is that all new metal roof? or did you find it on craigslist?  I've been searching for some, but so far haven't found any in my neck of the woods.

The weather was a bit squirrely last weekend.

Oh, and yes, you do have to go to that job hunting "class" ... as if you didn't know how to fill out the claim every week, and your hunt record... I didn't one time and they wanted the money back for that week - even after we got it straightened out.  It's about a half day of listening to someone say most of what you already know, but you get a "job contact" credit for it for that week...  ::)

Yup new roofing.  Deciding to do it all new as long as I could....

Thanks for the tip on UI!  What a crock *chuckle*  you pay in for 25 years and use it for a few months and they act as if you need THEM to teach you how to work another 25 years.....go figure.  (of course, they also probably think you don't pay becuase your employer does -- nonsense, if they didn't have to I'd get it and need it even less).....but I digress.

We'll make that meet sooner or later!  Now, I've got some photo work to do!  My wife and I just returned...from looking for work in Tonasket that is!

OlJarhead

My wife and I stayed at our cabin site this week and got a fair amount of work done :)  I made sure to go into town pretty much daily to check for local jobs too!  (I was told that when on UI be certain to look for work everywhere you go -- as if I need their assistance -- so I did) anyway...

We arrived on Monday and after getting set up pretty much relaxed for the evening though I think we went out and did a bit of clean up work.  Then on Tuesday we set up the solar system for the well and got pumping water :)

I mentioned this system in another thread but in a nutshell it's a Costco 60 watt system for about $269 plus Battery (Costco $62 for the 85ah one we got).  We got it because it seemed like an easier option then trying to run wiring from the cabin solar to the well over a long distance.  So far we're pretty happy.

The well head has two battery cables coming out of it -- like jumper cables -- that you just hook up to a car battery and it starts pumping.  I plan to rig these into a switch on the pump house and run the solar charger full time.  Then all I need to do is send a kid out to flip the switch in the AM and switch it off once the cistern is full or we don't need it anymore.

The charge controller seems to work pretty well but I can see an ameter in our future (I think -- or something similar to tell me the charge on the battery).

After the well was rigged up we began to cut up dead trees and started a new wood pile.  We decided the weeks long relaxing visit would include a full body workout ;)

These trees had fallen from our neighbors land onto our fence and we decided to help them out (they've all but abandoned their land) by turning them into firewood.

My wife really got into loading up the ATV trailer (we got it at Ranch and Home for $239 and she wants a second now!) and usually had it mostly loaded by the time I was ready to help.  I always need a break after bucking up a tree...

My 16" saw didn't do this in one pass -- took two per cut!  My wife decided I needed a bigger 'logger' saw.  I agreed :D  Seems like a 20" saw is in my future now :D :D [cool]

Truthfully, I need one though!  Some of these trees are hard to fall with a 16" bar!

John Raabe

I like you inventive system for the pump there!

I'm sure there are updates and refinements to come but you're pumping water without too much cost or hassle.  :D :D :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

OlJarhead

Quote from: John Raabe on June 19, 2010, 08:28:55 PM
I like you inventive system for the pump there!

I'm sure there are updates and refinements to come but you're pumping water without too much cost or hassle.  :D :D :D

Thanks John :)

I'm planning a pump house but am serious about the idea of making a lazy Susan to rotate the panels. 

Anyway, we did some math and discovered that it wouldn't take long to pay for these panels when figuring the cost of fuel for the generator that was used to charge the battery before :)  And this is MUCH quieter! :)

MountainDon

Good stuff!

Now what would be nice for the pump setup is a low voltage cutoff switch, so you don't have to monitor the battery as much.

Don't know if these would do the job for your pump....   ???

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/sPOD-Low-Voltage-Cutoff-Battery-Protector-p-25220.html

http://www.smarthome.com/77416/Enforcer-Low-Voltage-Battery-Cut-Off/p.aspx

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.