Foundation Question from Newbie

Started by yarnfly, February 28, 2005, 06:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yarnfly

First off i would like to say Hi to all who visit this forum.  I am new here and excited to have found this place.  I am in the research phases of a cabin/cottage I am going to build this Spring/summer/fall.  I have a good Idea on framing but my initial concerns are around the foundation.
This cottage will be 16X20.  Initially it will serve as a cabin with plans to move the unit to another location on my property for use as a guest cabin or bunkie.  I would like to build it with this in mind.  I am thinking about a conventional floor joinst structure built on 3  6"x6"x20' pressure timbers space essentially 7" apart.  I would put spread a 16' X 20' x 12" crushed stone bed to put the structure on.  My thoughts are that when the time comes to build a perment cottage I would be able to drag the entire building 30 - 40 feet to it's final resting place.  Is this feasible or should I build on a post and girder arrangement with preformed concrete footings and have it elevated above the ground 12" or more?
Remember guys I'm a total newbie here so forgive my ignorance.
best regards and I look forward to the feedback and converstaions to come.

Amanda_931

You'd probably have to roll it, not drag it.  Used telephone poles might work.  And build so that you've got a straight shot for that width and length.

Travel trailer sounds more useful to me.  As long as it doesn't leak.

But if you are truly set on that plan, take a look at Rob Roy's book on Stone Circles.  Lots of information on moving great heavy monsters:

Stone Circles: A Modern Builder's Guide to the Megalithic Revival

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D1890132039/104-3912253-9893536

Looks like www.dirtcheapbuilder.com has the video for rent, but I didn't see the book.  She's lots less annoying to buy from than the 500 pound gorilla.

Or you can get either book or video from Rob Roy himself at:

http://www.cordwoodmasonry.com/Order.html

glenn kangiser

Amanda has a point about rollers making it easier.  Old well casing or old pump column about 8" dia. would work too.  Rollers could give you other problems also continually moving the support points as you move the building and they may not roll on rough or soft ground.  In this case skids and power enough to move them may work best.

If you build the frame strong enough and brace it well it could be done.  They used to drag steam engines (donkeys) complete with boilers through the woods with their own winch in the early 1900's as they took the mill to the trees.  You would have to block between the skids or use a spreader of some type to keep the skids from crushing together as you pull forward.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jonsey/downunder

Here is a drawing of the sort of thing that Glen is talking about. The side rails would need to be 10" universal beams and the cross member's 8" to give clearance when you move the structure. The two side beams need to be the width of your normal bearer setout then simply bolt a 2 x 4 on top as a nailing plate for your joists.  You should be able to get hold of some cheap beams at a scrap steelyard near you. Any halfway decent dozer will be able to drag the whole thing to where you need it. In my experience, rollers don't work well, as they tend to bog down. They will not roll unless the ground is rock hard. You would have to build something like this underneath to move it anyway.
I assume you have a reason for not building it where you need it, but have you thought about building it as part of the future house. I hope this is of some help to you.
jonesy.

I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

John Raabe

The Enchilada plans have a detail for building a movable version of the smaller buildings (using standard PT lumber skids).

Something to think about is moisture protection of the floor framing and ventilation. And, of course, you can't really do plumbing, insulation and wiring very easily in such a building.

So, as a building gets larger and more outfitted as a home, the less likely it is you will want to build it to be dragged around (and even if you do you may need the skills and equipment of a house mover to do it).
None of us are as smart as all of us.

yarnfly

I currently have a section cleared for my permanent structure.  My thoughts are to put my cabin there to fill the space while we save for your "dream cottage"  The cabin will get lots of use over the next 7-10 years and when we are ready we can move it  to be used as Guest quarters.
What if I built it on Pressure treated pier foundations on deck blocks dug down to bearing soil.  What would my options be to move it come time to do so?  Are there any "beefed up structural work"  I have to consider including because I want to move it down the road?  I had already planned on enclosing the bottom in plywood prior to setting on skids or beams to keep the critters out of my insulation.  This should stiffin up the floor a great deal.
P.S. everyones feedback is greatly appreciated.

P.S.S. I neglected to mention the main cabin is essentially 12 X 20 with a 4 foot covered porch making up the balance to be 16 x 20.

jonsey/downunder

You should have no problems moving a cabin of this size. You don't need to beef it up any more than normal, and as long as the porch is securely attached to the rest of the structure, the cottage can be moved as a whole. The cost of moving it would be the main point to consider. I don't know what house removal charges are like in your neck of the woods but here it's quite costly. Although such a short haul shouldn't break the bank. Because you are building with the idea of moving it in mind you can make all your utility connections easy to unhook and simple to reconnect. One thing you need to consider is the height if there are any overhead lines on the route to the new site.
jonesy
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

JRR

40 feet?  Why not just walk this additional distance until you're ready for the final build?

And where do you live whilst the first cabin is being moved?  

I would suggest a book by Robert (Rob) Roy.  I have it but can't find at the moment ... so I'll paraphrase the title: "Mortgage Free..Unique Strategies...".  (Someone help me here).  In the book, Roy lists several Cardinal sins of DYI home building.   I've committed them all.... and perhaps a couple he overlooked.  

I not suggesting your plan is one he lists as one of  his sins ... but all plans can be improved.