Sure enjoyed our home built house

Started by zion-diy, January 29, 2024, 09:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zion-diy

Built it in 2006. I remember the heat we took when I said I was using screws instead of nails. Well, The old house held up to everything nature could throw at us. F-4 tornado, major ice storm, freezing cold, sweltering heat, and we and we came out just fine. Kept improving the land we owned. (38 acres)
Yep, we held up to everything, and then, a lousy squirrel brought it to an end. 
We were visiting my brother in Fl. when I got a call from my friend. Told me the house had burned to the ground. 
Investigators determined that a squirrel had gotten into the eve and chewed the main entrance wire. 
I'm crushed and I just don't have it in me to build another house. 

Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

JRR

Dang!!  I have little of value to say.. I'm very sorry it happened.  Thanks for sharing with others, we all now have a chance to re-think whatever precautions we have in place for all hazards.

Did it happen at night?  Perhaps you were lucky to be away.  

I hope your spirit mends fully.

jsahara24

Wow, so sorry this happened to you....this is one of my biggest fears....

Not sure what to say other than remember things can be replaced, people can't, so remember to be thankful that you and your family are safe......

OlJarhead

Wow!  So sorry to hear!  Hopefully Insurance will build you a new one?

zion-diy

Quote from: JRR on January 31, 2024, 11:47:04 AMDang!!  I have little of value to say.. I'm very sorry it happened.  Thanks for sharing with others, we all now have a chance to re-think whatever precautions we have in place for all hazards.

Did it happen at night?  Perhaps you were lucky to be away. 

I hope your spirit mends fully.
No one seems to know exactly when it happened. (we built away from people) My friend was keeping an eye on it while we were gone and on a Wednesday, things were fine, and on Friday I get the call that it's gone.
It had to be one hot fire because it actually melted the wood stove. :o
Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

zion-diy

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 05, 2024, 09:37:52 AMWow!  So sorry to hear!  Hopefully Insurance will build you a new one?
Not near enough. Remember, materials were a whole lot cheaper back when we started. Plus... not sure wife and I could do it all again without having to hire help ($$$$). I'm now 75 and don't really want to go climbing ladders and such.

MountainDon

Very sorry to see the fire damage. However, I am happy that you weren't there as you could have been injured.  I know what you mean by not wanting to build another. I'm 78 and don't mind remodeling or repairs but I am not sure I would want to build from scratch again.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

What I meant was that insurance would pay for someone else to build a new one ;)

My sisters home burned down and they rebuilt it for her.  It was a very old home too but in the end she basically got a new home.

zion-diy

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 07, 2024, 11:16:12 AMWhat I meant was that insurance would pay for someone else to build a new one ;)

My sisters home burned down and they rebuilt it for her.  It was a very old home too but in the end she basically got a new home.
Well, I got enough that, added to my savings allowed me to buy a house in Florida. Fortunately, the new (to us) didn't need a lot of repairs. We painted it inside and out, plus the fact it had a large extra garage was a plus. 

OlJarhead

Great!  Hope it works out well for you!