Outhouses, check my thinking.

Started by scoutman, January 15, 2009, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Whew.... there's a gas powered one.... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rwanders

While building the trans-alaska pipeline, 74-77, we had propane powered outhouses mounted on skids which were moved along the workpad as we progressed. Essentially, they had frying pans under the hole mounted  above a large propane burner----If you can imagine taking a dump into a hot frying pan. They were extremely unpopular and so the route of the pipeline was marked by a line of toilet paper about 10 yards out on both sides. Did see one that caught fire and burned down as it was being towed down the line by a sideboom-----to enthusiastic cheering!
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

MountainDon

Back to the topic; I've seen vault toilets in the parks that use what appear to be at least 10" diameter vent stacks.

The Sun-Mar composting toilet works with a 4 inch stack w/o any fans or turbos.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

scoutman

Wow, I don't check back in a few days and you guys have really had fun with the truck discussion.   :)  I don't mind the hijack.  In fact I'll contribute.  c*

Here's my ride.   

My sig from TDR...
06 Ram 3500 SLT QC LB SRW 3.73 LS Graphite 5.9L, 6spd, 4x4, 7 speaker infinity(sux) with 6 disc and Sirius, Line-X, Prodigy, UWS Black Toolbox, Cobra 75WX, Isspro's boost & pyro, B&W turnover GN hitch, baby seat, Nitto Terra Grappler 305x70x17"

I must say that the 5.9L Cummins has to be one of the best ENGINE's ever made.  There is a reason that it was used for such a long time in Dodge trucks because it is about damn near bulletproof.  I also find it funny that the Cummins is able to pour out as much if not more power as a 6 cyl than the Powersmoke ever has in an 8 cyl config.  When I was shopping for my 06 I was torn between the Dodge and Ford but what sold me on Mopar was the engine. 

We pull a 30' gooseneck trailer with 2 heavily modified Jeeps with my Dodge and it handles it fine and I love the 6 speed manual. 

As for the outhouse, I'm going to use the 3" pipe cause it's what I have on hand.  It should work well enough and I will plan to paint the top of it black to keep the draft.  I didn't get any more progress made other than cutting siding and trying to figure out how I'm going to do the roof. 

glenn kangiser

I like the way you brought that back to the topic. [waiting]

Great truck there.  ;)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

If you have lots of that 3" pipe you could do dual "exhausts"   ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

scoutman

Dual chrome 6" stacks coming out of the privy would be killer!   [cool]

glenn kangiser

Go for it :)

Keep in mind that straight pipes will really resonate.....sweeeeet  ::)

Redoverfarm

Source_to_Sea

I like diesels, and I like outhouses. So I guess that OK to restart this thread.

You might want to check out some of the designs for mouldering (compost) outhouses used by the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. I've helped build a couple of these things, and they're bone-simple. Basically you'd just put your outhouse on a platform about 3' tall, screen in everything under the platform, and "preload" things with a couple wheelbarrows of hummus. Do your bidness, and cover with sawdust, leaf mold, etc each time. You'll have to knock out the mound every now and again, but for no more use than you're talking, you'd go for year before having to empty it.

Far simplier than anything is the beforementioned Humanure system that Jenkins has. 2 buckets, a tiolet seat, and some sawdust. It makes too much sense, thus is rarely used.

DirtyLittleSecret

Me thinks this got lost in all the discussion about dual exhausts... c*
and all I've got that's diesel is my little TDi (62 mpg).
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

scoutman

Well as goes most of my projects, they get started and then I get sidetracked till I get to come back to it later.  I'm getting ready for a week long Jeep trip to Moab, UT and we leave in 1 week.  Needless to say the outhouse has gone to the back burner.  The diesel on the other hand is about to have the spotlight turned to it cause we'll be hauling quite a load over some serious miles and terrain.  I hope to finish the house when I get back cause the camping weather is going to be getting really good. 

scoutman

Bringing up a thread from the dead...   c*

This project had been sitting in my driveway for months and I pawned it off to a 4x4 club member.  I had most of the stuff cut and ready to finish but ever since spring hit I haven't had time to do it.  The plan after he finishes it is to haul it up to our property (4x4 club ownes 40 acres on the mountain) and finish assembly of roof there. 

Anyhew, thought you guys would like to see one of the semi-finished picts...

poppy

Looks good.  It looks almost large enough to be a "two holer".  The farm I grew up on had a two holer outhouse.  The rich farmers had 3 holers.  You sometimes find the seats in antique stores.

scoutman

Well this one's going to get used by a few who aren't used to using such rough facilities so the last thing I wanted to do was scare someone off by making a tiny crapper.