More 'interior trim tips' by Peg needed and wanted!!!!

Started by Okie_Bob, December 11, 2007, 05:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

Quote from: MtnDon on December 19, 2007, 10:28:20 PM

Where's the foot in mouth smiley?

John put a stop to all that fun  ::)

Glenn may have to 86 both of us Mtn D as well both have his , ah , shall we say Fopar(sp)  rofl rofl
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Quote from: PEG688 on December 19, 2007, 10:25:34 PM
Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 19, 2007, 09:53:53 PM

I overcharge on my real job so I can donate time and share info

I hope with your adminstrator powers your able to BLOCK Bruce and Michelle , is it with two L or one , the bigger house project folks , maybe not Bruce  ??? but you knwo who I mean.

So do they know you "over charge"  rofl rofl [scared] [scared]

Maybe this one ,  :-X  God some days I crack me up  rofl rofl

You Guys---it's  Mike and Michele -- I overcharge on regular jobs so I can work for Mike at 1/2 price--appx.

Actually it's not overcharging -- I was speaking of a job I'm on which is prevailing wage --so I take advantage of it and charge the public what they have legislated that I must charge them - to keep the union boys happy - and all the union watchdogs they hire to hassle guys like me.  It really makes me mad that I can't give the public a fair price-- but I don't write the laws-- makes me feel I'm overcharging myself.

Mike still gets about 30% off my regular price and he knows that as I use his job for fill in work -- so I'm, covered.  I give other locals a break also.  I only pillage and plunder when I go out into the real world.   :P
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Dang , >:(   he may have talked his way out of the corner Mtn D   :-\

Glenn , you should run for public office,  you could sell poop to a septic pumper, or some such  ??? ???

glenn kangiser

It may be poop to you, but it's my bread and butter -- if I was a septic pumper.

I have to admit, I am pretty smooth.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Okie_Bob

Hey Guys, I'm home!!!!! This topic has gotten quite long but, I wanted to update you on my original question about my staircase.
As you probably know, I spent most of the past two weeks at the lake, working daylight to dark on the house and got a lot done.
I completely finished up the stairway and it looks even better than I had hoped it would.
I started by making 'rosetts' as Peg had proposed and they worked well on the places where the top rail is straight. On the areas where the rail was at an angle, another story altogether. I just could not drill a hole at the correct angle that would hold the rail
where I needed it. So, I decided to try to drill and bolt the dang thing to the newell posts. Thought about buying the screws Peg showed me but, figured I'd try to use lag screws instead and they worked great! I drilled the pilot holes and then sountersunk them
for the 1/2" lag screw head. That is all I have left to do is fill the holes, sand and stain. All the rest is done including the cables used in place of the balisters and which I really like. It's all stained and ready for poly and I have not taken any pics of the finished product as I want to show you when it's all complete. That should be next Monday when I get back from this weekends trip back down there.

I can't say enough about this forum and especially Glenn and Peg and all you others that share your experiences and trade secrets.
Where else can you get this type service and the price is right!!
Thanks all of you and especially John for the forum!!!!
Okie Bob
PS: as soon as I get time I plan to start a topic on tiling a shower base from scratch!!! Been on heck of a project so far.

glenn kangiser

Glad things went well for you BoB.  We'll be waiting for those pictures.  Sounds great.

PEG688

Quote from: Okie_Bob on January 01, 2008, 01:10:40 PM

On the areas where the rail was at an angle, another story altogether. I just could not drill a hole at the correct angle that would hold the rail
where I needed it.

If you had a nail gun , a  pinner / small one, you could have pined the rossette to the rail end to hold it steady then bored for your screw.

There's always a answer some times just to late.

Glad most of it worked out better for you .

Lookin forward to your photo's , so I can check it out  ;)   

Okie_Bob

Peg, I'm not sure I follow about pining the rossette to the rail?? I did use my brad nailer to attached the rail to the newell post before I drilled thru the rail and into the newell post. Don't follow how I could have pinned to the rail and drilled the rossette?? The rail is round (well it has a flat on the bottom) 1 3/4" dia. So I cut it to length by holding it in place to get the correct length and also could mark the correct angle...anyway it worked out fine as far as I can tell. You do understand I was trying to make the rossettes myself?
Okie Bob

PEG688

Explaining this stuff with written words is hard  d*

I could show you in ten  minutes what takes hours to type out .

Once all pieces are cut the right lenght , at the right angles, etc.  You'd hold the rossette up to and in the right spot on the rail end , pin it in place , then drill a pilot hole and drive the screw into the rail end grain.

Once the rossette is attached to the rail hold this unit in place either on the wall , OR on the newel post then screw thru the rosstte into the post / wall.

It's sounds like you put rossettes at the newel posts , which I never TRIED to say  ;) but what ever you worked out , IF you like the looks is fine.

We'll see when you post photos what you did. But hey you've done very well for yourself so far .  [cool]

No worries and BoB's yer uncle eh   [cool]

Okie_Bob

Ok Peg, I think I understand what you meant.
I guess I was not clear either about using the rossettas. I did use them on the newalls on the sides where the rail is parallel to the ground. I did NOT use them on the sides of the newell posts where the rails run at angles.
Yep, you'll see when I get the pics posted.
Now Peg, you did lose me on that last comment.....about my uncle BoB? You do notice that I can never spell my name backwards and get it wrong? I know, not very funny but, hey I tried.
Okie Bob

firefox

and Bob's your uncle  = and everything will be fine
Old British expression.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Okie_Bob

Thanks firefox, never heard that one before!!
Well guys I just posted the latest pics to my blog site and you can come back here and give me your comments, thoughts, what ever!
The address is:
http://bobdanaslakehouse.blogspot.com/
And Peg, please read the note at the bottom, I am NOT finished yet but, wanted to get some pics up. Peg you'll see the rossettes we
talked about and also how I attached the rails that were on the riser sections. Seem to be very stable and believe it is going to work out fine.
Thanks again for everyones help and I look forward to your comments.
Okie Bob

glenn kangiser

Looks good to me, BoB, but you gotta understand that I am satisfied living in a hole in the ground.

PEG688

Looks OK BoB , a few things didn't translate but over all ya got er done. And Bob's yer Uncle eh ;)