Incorporating a garage

Started by aktundra, December 02, 2015, 04:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aktundra

I'm in the design process of the build for my parents retirement/downsize house. Initially thought I could make the 20x30ish design work (and bought the plans) for them but have ended up with a 24x36 footprint. The plan is wrap around porch and dormers. They need a garage and prefer attached for Alaska winters.

The lot is relatively flat and space isn't an issue.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to add the garage (24x28.) without overwhelming the structure. They really don't like the look of big garage / where's the house. I've thought about doing a covered / enclosed breeze way sort of like this:

Any thoughts ? I've followed a lot of builds on the site and see relatively few garages. I've seen a couple under the house.

This is a very rough draft of the floor plans. There are still changes being made. Some of the design considerations for my parents and the floor plan :
Master first floor
Arctic entry ("mud room")
Separate master / main bathroom
Woodstove
Guest bedroom with queen "bunkies"
Family room for two sofas
Kitchen island
Thoughtful storage
Energy efficient / REMOTE wall system
Backup generator
Under $150,000 to build

kenhill

I've seen where the garage doors are perpendicular to the view from the front of the house.  Windows are added to the garage that match the house.  It looks like part of the house and not a garage.

knopfarrow

The 2014 HGTV dream home (although overkill for your purposes and budget) did a nice job of creating an entry with what would have been a breezeway between the main living area and the building with the garage in it.  http://www.hgtv.com/design/hgtv-dream-home/2014/floor-plan-from-hgtv-dream-home-2014-pictures

The basic concept might solve the garage and Arctic entry needs, FWIW.
"One is not a pattern. Two is not a trend." -me