Quotes on John's 20x30 Plans...

Started by ajbremer, April 20, 2011, 10:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajbremer

Here are the quotes I've gotten from professional builders in my area for drying in John's 20x30:

Septic: $3,000 - 310 feet of lateral line
Water Meter: $750
Slab/Footing: $3,500
Plummer: $700
Framing:$3,000 (Dried in only)
Materials: ? (Don't know, I'm ordering the plans in the morning)

Does anyone have a rough estimate of material cost for the 20x30 1 1/2 story with loft, windows and doors included, roughed in only, no shingles and siding?
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

astidham

Roof, windows, door, framed, post and pier foundation, 2x12 floor joist, pryor truss trusses. ~15,000..
no electric or plumbing yet.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

ajbremer

Thanks astidham!

I just ordered my plans for the 20x30 1 1/2 story (loft) and the materials list. I will calculate the materials list as soon as it gets to me in the mail. That makes 2 sets of plans I've purchased from countryplans.com, wow - I'm very thankful for this place!

duncanshannon

so... why did you end up switching to the 20x30?  I think the plans are great... thats what I purchased. 
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

ajbremer

Thanks duncanshannon!

I was looking at the Builder Post and I didn't notice you in there, have ya built a place from the plans here or are you getting ready to build?

Anyway, what happened to me was something called 'The Homeowners Association' - restrictions and covenants. I didn't pay close enough attention to them, didn't care about them till they sent me a request stating the rules and that I would have to move my 12x32 building within 15 days (too long of a story to give all the details here) but I was able to resolve the situation by properly submitting plans to them.

The Homeowners association has a 600 square foot limit and that is why I had to abandon the modified Little House Plans and go with the 20x30. I'll tell my whole story when I begin my build post on here...and man, what a story!

pocono_couple

My guess is that you will be very happy with the 20x30 plans, but it sure is frustrating that local governments, or in this case, home owner's associations have so much say over what we build!   Of course,  it is awfully important to look over the fine print in the paperwork when purchasing land too :)   where are you building?   if i recall correctly, i seem to remember looking up a thread from one of your other posts which led to a story about cycling..   we spend a fair amount of time on bikes..  so far, however, our spring weather has not been too cooperative..  we did get down to new jersey a couple of weeks ago, however, and had a great ride at island beach state park..  and now it is time to get back to work on the house!  good luck... jt

duncanshannon

I was looking at the Builder Post and I didn't notice you in there, have ya built a place from the plans here or are you getting ready to build?

We are in planning mode...prob. for another 4 years.

QuoteAnyway, what happened to me was something called 'The Homeowners Association' - restrictions and covenants. I didn't pay close enough attention to them, didn't care about them till they sent me a request stating the rules and that I would have to move my 12x32 building within 15 days (too long of a story to give all the details here) but I was able to resolve the situation by properly submitting plans to them.

The Homeowners association has a 600 square foot limit and that is why I had to abandon the modified Little House Plans and go with the 20x30. I'll tell my whole story when I begin my build post on here...and man, what a story!

aha!  i have some covenants in the same vein, but no HOA.  mostly around 'footprint' and time allowed between initiation of excavation and completion of exterior construction. not ideal, but not a deal breaker.
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

SkagitDrifter

$15,250 for everything up to date, including the out house and the decking material which has not been installed yet.  No plumbing, power. septic.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=5327.0
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

ajbremer

Great, thanks Okanogan - what an awesome place you have there! I went to your build thread and it's amazing what you have done for only $15,250. Now am I correct in thinking that what you did came from John's 20x30 1 1/2 story plans? You just added the lower section that sits on those footings? John's plans don't contain that do they?

SkagitDrifter

AJ-
Thanks!

Yes, my build is based on John's 20x30 plan, and no, the lower "garage" was not on the plan.
I got to thinking about where to put my toys- quad, small fishing boat, snowmobile, BBQ etc.
My original plan was to build a shed to house the toys but then I thought... why have another building messing with the views around the place?  Building the pony walls to elevate the cabin floor only cost another $400 to $500 - including the metal siding around the base of the building.  The garage door was another expense (another $400), but I would have had that much into another building anyway.  So, for around $800 to $900 and a half days worth of work, I have a 20x30 secure storage area.
Oh yea- There was one more expense... The stairs to the entry required more material and time to build.
Good luck!
Tom 
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln