Tractor Barn / Shed / Cabin

Started by Adam Roby, February 25, 2017, 09:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Roby

I've been contemplating building a covered area for the tractor, to keep it out of the elements.
The the idea expanded, to have 1/2 for the tractor and the other 1/2 for storage... which then lead to a small cabin (just somewhere to put the chem toilet and a seating area to make coffee for day trips... which again expanded).  Its 12x16 the enclosed part, 10x16 for the open part.

Anyway, this is nowhere near the plan, just some rough ideas.  Started with blocks on the ground since it was going to be a shed but will probably go a completely different route.  The main idea is that one side wall would be 12 or more feet high (need to re-measure)...  however that wall could also be seen as the center support for the roof...  just not sure about the logistics or legalities for such a building. 

Inside could look something like this:

Trying to keep it as simple as possible.  Not a real cabin, but kind of a hybrid barn/shed/cabin/etc. 
Tractor can be moved to make a nice covered area to have a picnic table.  Then park the tractor back when you leave to keep it covered.  Tarp off the area in the winter to keep the snow out (would not be used in the winter at all).  No water, no electrical, no sewage.  And those posts would definitely be braced, possibly even a full end wall.

Just some ideas I am throwing out there, getting warmer here, snow is melting, ideas are flying around. 

I have the Sketchup drawings at work, need to take some more recent views of the outside since I am missing the door and some windows.  These were taken from some emails I sent myself a while ag0.

Redoverfarm

For your intended purpose I would be more inclined just to build a conventional shed roof building wide enough (2 bay) to park the tractor on one side and enclose the other bay for your storage.  Then again you could just make a longer standard truss building, using one end enclosed and one end open maybe a separate standard door on the enclosed end. 

ChugiakTinkerer

These shed-cabin hybrids are cleverly named "shabins" in my neck of the woods.   8)

If you're not careful these little projects have a way of growing, in size and cost.  I spent the day working up a materials list and cost estimate for a 12x16 shabin with a full loft.  Full retail price will put me at almost $9K.  Surfing Craigslist may knock a little off that price tag.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

MushCreek

Please draw some guard rails around those bunks! d*

I like the idea, with a few caveats. In Montreal, anything built on deck blocks is going to move around a lot due to frost heaving. I like the shed roof and clerestory windows, but I've always worried about weatherproofing a wall like that. I'm going to do something similar. I have a small shed that I'm going to try to move. If it doesn't survive, I'll build a new one, but I want to incorporate an open shed on one side for the tractor.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Adam Roby

Shabins... I like that.  I know what you mean about costs, these things always start off small and gradually grow to a point its no longer a shed or barn.  I might have to step back and rethink it. I do like the look of the windows, makes for a unique looking building.

I wish I had a more recent drawing, I had a railing going across the entire span.  Access to the beds is through a trap door of sorts to keep anyone from falling out. I'll try to remember take some more screenshots the next time I have time to play with the plan.  Spring is almost here, gotta get something built for the tractor... would be a shame for the tractor to have a home but not me when I get there for the day. 

I was also concerned about the weatherproofing.  I am thinking it might be best to make the tractor side attach like a porch deck would.  Basically a ledger going across the span.  You can then weatherproof the shed side, sheath it as if its a separate building, then add the ledger and other roof side.  The thought is not quite far enough along for those details, still need to think.