Cason Two-Story 20x40 Texas update 10/10/07

Started by Jimmy_Cason, January 07, 2006, 12:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Preston

"My frame is made up of 3 support beams, then I added the 2x8 floor joists.
The double 2x12 board across the front was added as an after thought."

Hey Jimmy,

What did you use for your 3 support beams?

-Preston

Jimmy_Cason

Quote"My frame is made up of 3 support beams, then I added the 2x8 floor joists.
The double 2x12 board across the front was added as an after thought."

Hey Jimmy,

What did you use for your 3 support beams?

-Preston

Treated    Triple 2x12x20's  Bolted together, nailed, and glued for each beam. I staggered the joints to reach 40 ft long.

Preston

Thanks Jimmy!  We're going to be building a similar foundation and are working the numbers and building the material list...

Preston

Jimmy,
Did you do a price comparison of what the difference was for the 2x6 vs 2x4 for your house and have you noticed a significant difference in energy usage?

Thanks,

Preston

Jimmy_Cason

The 2x6s cost about 25 to 30% more. But, I wanted to make sure I built it stout. (Thanks to PEG)
With a 2 story I think you need the wall to be 2x6??
2x6 walls seemed to be easier to work with as far as balancing walls and working alone, this was a great help.
Cost has never really been an issue with me and my materials. I only buy what I can afford at the time. I find what I need, then save until I have enough to start the next project. I owe nobody! And this house is all mine!

As far as the electric bill.....
I have 3 window units, a clothes dryer that runs one load every day, and an electric water heater.
This past August I kept the temp at 69, while it was 100+ outside.
$145.00 For the month of august. The highest so far. NOt bad for total electric.
I need to get off the grid!

Preston

I'll have to find out about the second floor and te 2x6's..... :-?  

Jimmy_Cason

I finally bought batteries for my camera. These are the latest pics. (Non Cell Phone Pics!)

deertracks

You should be so proud... everything looks great and that fact it isn't owned by the bank is
such a bonus!!
Wondered why you decided on the unfinished oak cabinets instead of the hickory?
Also, I know that different Lowes carry different "in-stock" cabinet brands.
Do you know what brand yours were? They sure are a great value.
I am thinking out our lighting and wondered if you have found any spots where you
wish you'd have added more lighting?

Jimmy_Cason

#1 Wondered why you decided on the unfinished oak cabinets instead of the hickory?

#2 Also, I know that different Lowes carry different "in-stock" cabinet brands.
Do you know what brand yours were? They sure are a great value.

#3 I am thinking out our lighting and wondered if you have found any spots where you
wish you'd have added more lighting?

#1 My wife thought they would make the kitchen look too much a cabin. She wants the "Cottage Effect".

#2 I don't remember what the brand name was.

#3 I only need more light at the stove. We will install an under the cabinet microwave ans vent/light assembly, so that should help.

deertracks

Thanks for the answers. We are after the cabin look so I guess we're on the right track
with hickory!
I remember earlier in your thread there was a discussion about cottage vs. cabin.
Your wife has a great cottage look going on... really like the colors and decor.

Preston

Just trying to get a feel for size here, are the stairs on the other side of the wall (to the left) of where the chair/mirror/side table are?

Jimmy_Cason

QuoteJust trying to get a feel for size here, are the stairs on the other side of the wall (to the left) of where the chair/mirror/side table are?

[size=12]Below is my approx layout from when I started. A few things have changed in the bathroom and kitchen area. [/size]

C.White

I really like what you've done with the space.  The new cabinets are really nice, and the colors you are using are wonderful.  

What kind of flooring are you planning on using?  
Also, I noticed you are leaving the floor joists exposed, and I plan to do this too.  Did you have to really pick through the wood to use nice ones? or are the general joists looking nice enough.  I will be doing the same.  
Christina

Jimmy_Cason

#1 What kind of flooring are you planning on using?  

#2 Also, I noticed you are leaving the floor joists exposed, and I plan to do this too.  

#3 Did you have to really pick through the wood to use nice ones? or are the general joists looking nice enough.  I will be doing the same.  
Christina

I will save the flooring for last.
I want to install some type of real hardwood floor using planks that are at least 6" wide.

I will eventually cover the ceiling joists with 1/4" pine and then stain or paint. The only thing showing will be the center beam.  We have tossed around the idea of installing a few faux beams off of the main beam to make it look kind of like the victoria cottage ceilings.

Home depot wood has many "decorative knots" in it!
The cheaper the grade, the better it looks.
It is not a good idea for structural building.
I found the cheap 1x4s for my trim work look much better stained than the better grade wood with no knots! That was an unexpected surprise.

Preston

Thanks Jimmy, that helps a lot to see the stairs there as well!

Homegrown_Tomatoes

Jimmy, I love the red wall... before I moved north, I don't think I would've ever painted anything red, but seems like in Wisconsin's cold climate, it has become one of my favorite colors... I think in all the public rooms of our house, it's in there somewhere.... guess it has just really grown on me, and it looks perfect in your house, too.  (The truth is, cold weather makes you crave warm colors, ha ha... One day my husband came home to find I'd moved everything out of our living room.  He asked me what on earth I was doing, and I told him I intended to paint the house because it was so dark and cavish.  He started griping about the price of paint, and I reminded him that it was most likely cheaper than Prozac... a little color changes the whole mood of a place.   ;) Nice going... it is really cozy and pretty.  You've got a really nice place there.

Sassy

Very "cottagy"  :)  nice decorating touches - you should be really proud of your accomplishments!  To think that just a short while ago you were wondering if it could be done!  

MountainDon

Quote... a little color changes the whole mood of a place.  
Many people do like we did for years... whites and off whites. So dull. So safe. I do like that wall too, and the bold tile floor. That's a really bold move, not so easy to chnage if you tire of it.

It took years for us to to get to the bold colors. In between the original white and present day colors we incrementally explored more color, but looking back those were very baby steps. Some walls are still painted in off whites, but every room now has at least 2 walls with bold colors. Raspberry in the kitchen, a Teal and a Tan in the LR, Green and Yellow in the master bedroom, 2 tone Greens for the office and a Maroon and Tan for the spare bedroom (son's old room), an a Mauve and Purple for the master bath.

We have some fairly bold floor tile in 3 rooms as well.  :)

Jonathan

Jimmy,

I'm sure you've had a lot of time to think about cost.  Can you answer some/all of these questions?

1.  What do you think the total cost will be when it is finished? (not counting land)
2.  How much will that be per square foot?
3.  If you could start over have you seen any place you could have trimmed cost?

Your house is looking great!  You must be proud... I would be... er... WILL be... someday. :)

Jimmy_Cason

QuoteJimmy,

I'm sure you've had a lot of time to think about cost.  Can you answer some/all of these questions?

1.  What do you think the total cost will be when it is finished? (not counting land)
2.  How much will that be per square foot?
3.  If you could start over have you seen any place you could have trimmed cost?

Your house is looking great!  You must be proud... I would be... er... WILL be... someday. :)

Answer to question #1

I really have no idea what the final cost will be. Let me explain that statement...
Because we are living in the house already, I have the luxury of getting the "feel" for the next project.
So far everything has been planned then re-planned.
The more my wife and I think about the next phase in our house the more time we change out minds. For instance, we liked the look of the completed/ready to install "Hickory"cabinets at Lowes.
After two weeks of going to the store every other day and looking at the display, then going home and trying to visualize what they would look like installed in our kitchen we decided to go with the unfinished oak cabinets and put a light water based stain on them.
( Hickory cabinets.. $2700.00   Unfinished Oak $1700.00)
That one choice saved us a thousand dollars.
I try not to let my wife know the price for things so she is able to make a choice about what she likes without being infuenced by the price. It's a hard habit to break after watching every penny for the past 14 years just to get by.
Like I have said before, cost is not really an option now because I save up for the next project by paying myself the money I would have paid on rent or a home loan.

Answer to question#2

I am building 20' x 40' = 1600 square feet

My rough cost so far are:  
Septic   $4800.00
Underground power cable 180 feet from the road to the house $900.00
Foundation    $2300.00  
1-1/8" t&g sub floor   $1200.00  
first floor sheathing and walls . Joists for the second floor.  $2400.00  
Second floor-Sub floor  3/4" t&g plywood.             $850.00  
Stairway, second floor walls, rafters collar tie beams,  
#30 felt, side sheathing and roof sheathing.         $4250.00  
Windows on the first floor   $650.00  
front door $189.00  
back door $149.00  
french door     $295.00  
Kohler kitchen sink 250.00
Kohler "flush 250 ft of paper with no clog" toilet  $250.00
water heater $275.00
Fiberglass shower stall $300.00
Bathroom vanity and mirror $250.00
Plumbing $200.00
windows for the upstairs  $800.00
Front porch       $400.00
Metal roof        $1800.00
Insulation for the cathedral ceiling. $600.00
Sheet rock and paint downstairs  $400.00    
Insulation for 1st & 2nd floor walls $950.00
Hardie board siding & paint      $2000.00
Scaffold rental                         1800.00

So far I've spent About $28,000 With an unlimited and undetermined amount to follow.
The tax man put my value at close to $98,000.00 as is

Answer to question# 3

The only thing I would have done differently would be to buy the scaffolds instead of renting.
Working only on the weekend will eat up a weekly rental!
I still need them for the side porches and the garage.

I hope this helps.

jraabe

Jimmy:

Thanks for taking the time to explain your costs and how the process is progressing for you.

I think many owner-builders can see their own project reflected in yours. I remember when I was done with my version of the Solar Saltbox house that we had saved about 40% over a contractor bid price, and that was working with a builder and subcontractors on what the builder and I couldn't do. So I wasn't the owner-builder many folks on this forum are. (Glenn K. I am not! ;))

Anyway, your figures will prove very helpful to others as they plan out their own projects.

glenn-k

Thanks Jimmy.  You are our official Countryplans Poster Boy. :)  We also appreciate all who take the time to post info to help others. :)

QuoteGlenn K. I am not!

Look at the bright side, John.  You don't have to go under the ground like a mole every night either -- although some of us like it that way. ;D

Preston

Thanks for the Price Breakdown Jimmy.  This helps a lot to see if my budgeting is close to a real life cost scenario!

Preston

Jimmy, you said you built your beams all the way to 40'.  Does that mean at the end you had a 40' beam?  If so how did you move that thing? :-/