OKLAHOMA 20X30 SINGLE STORY

Started by astidham, May 07, 2010, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

Quote from: beckhamk on April 23, 2011, 07:05:36 PM
Thanks for the info! Your truss mfg didnt say that the inside would be a 8/12?  just curious as i just contacted one place and they told me they can do a scissor truss 12/12 for hte outside but the inside would be 8/12.  I figure your inside is around the same.

i found my truss paperwork, it says 12/12 over 9/12 for 2x6 walls.
2' overhang. for johns 20x30 plan i needed 14 scissor trusses @ 74.20 each and 2 gable, drop chord trusses @ 91.20 each..
total before taxes was 1221.20
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

astidham

we started on the log siding today, 2x8 pine quarter log.

— Henry Ford

ScottA

Looking good. That's going to be a nice home.  :)

Osprey

Looking good!

I was looking at your kitchen layout. I played with the same idea of just having everything against one wall but it broke the countertop too much and also cut down on cabinet space available. I made the corner and placed the stove at the end wall. Gained a ton more storage space. My island is 5' with a 10" overhang for some counter stools.

I am still moving the island around trying different combinations as it gets heavier and heavier here are a couple photos of what I have done in my 20X30's kitchen. I still have the crown molding and lighting to do. I plan on doing an update soon.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/X3JhyOIP740mWB3HEmV-rVN8dSoq00fqWpA1_X8wD9w?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zzvhoUkdx7SmapPou6rJ4lN8dSoq00fqWpA1_X8wD9w?feat=directlink

Having trouble posting photos >:(

nathan.principe

That log sidings gonna look great with the red roof and skirt!  I can tell you are really taking your time and doing things right so A+ for that!

astidham

Quote from: ScottA on April 26, 2011, 07:14:18 PM
Looking good. That's going to be a nice home.  :)
Thanks Scott
Quote from: Osprey on April 26, 2011, 08:45:20 PM
Looking good!

I was looking at your kitchen layout. I played with the same idea of just having everything against one wall but it broke the countertop too much and also cut down on cabinet space available. I made the corner and placed the stove at the end wall. Gained a ton more storage space. My island is 5' with a 10" overhang for some counter stools.

I am still moving the island around trying different combinations as it gets heavier and heavier here are a couple photos of what I have done in my 20X30's kitchen. I still have the crown molding and lighting to do. I plan on doing an update soon.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/X3JhyOIP740mWB3HEmV-rVN8dSoq00fqWpA1_X8wD9w?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zzvhoUkdx7SmapPou6rJ4lN8dSoq00fqWpA1_X8wD9w?feat=directlink

Having trouble posting photos >:(
That looks real nice Osprey
Quote from: nathan.principe on April 26, 2011, 09:07:50 PM
That log sidings gonna look great with the red roof and skirt!  I can tell you are really taking your time and doing things right so A+ for that!
Thank you nathan, another reason its taking so long is because I'm on the pay now live in it later plan ;D
— Henry Ford

astidham

finished the metal on the bottom of the house

— Henry Ford

mogie01

Love it!!  Great job Astidham, can't wait to see more pictures of your siding.  We are also going to use log siding.   [cool]

Mo

astidham

— Henry Ford

Don_P

Can't remember if... or maybe how many times, I might have mentioned it. We screwed on alot of log siding from the backside. We nailed the sheathing well and put two 1-5/8" screws alongside the stud from the inside into the back of the log siding. Few exposed fasteners and it pulled the siding up tight and held it there... something we often had trouble with.

astidham

Quote from: Don_P on April 29, 2011, 08:14:43 PM
Can't remember if... or maybe how many times, I might have mentioned it. We screwed on alot of log siding from the backside. We nailed the sheathing well and put two 1-5/8" screws alongside the stud from the inside into the back of the log siding. Few exposed fasteners and it pulled the siding up tight and held it there... something we often had trouble with.
Don_p, what a great idea!!!
Thank You!!
— Henry Ford

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.

astidham

got the front of the house, less the bump-out window sided!!

— Henry Ford

Mrdecatur217

;D now that was great pictures,. looking great son.

dug

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

beckhamk

looking great.....  when you started with the siding - did you put any cocking between the ends of each t&g board? or did you cock it afterwards?  What are you planning to do with your gable end overhangs underneath?

OlJarhead

I love that siding!  Always wonder if I could make it myself but think the cost in trees I'd have to cut down might be pretty crazy.

astidham

Quote from: beckhamk on May 16, 2011, 08:28:23 PM
looking great.....  when you started with the siding - did you put any cocking between the ends of each t&g board? or did you cock it afterwards?  What are you planning to do with your gable end overhangs underneath?
I will caulk and paint it all after its all up.
as for the gable, it will be log all the way to the soffit.
the soffit will be covered with cedar, 1x6 cedar pickets more than likely.

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 16, 2011, 09:30:42 PM
I love that siding!  Always wonder if I could make it myself but think the cost in trees I'd have to cut down might be pretty crazy.
I bought this from a local sawmill, I'm not too sure what they used to make it machine wise, but all the log is from local wood!
I would like to be able to saw all my interior wood like you are OlJarhead!
— Henry Ford

Don_P

QuoteI'm not too sure what they used to make it machine wise
A moulder, basically a 4 sided planer that can take knives that are either straight or ground to shape. Think of the shapes you've seen on router bits and imagine those profiles on planer knives. I ran one for a cabinet shop for a couple of years making frame stock for the cabinets and custom trim for the trade. Feed in a 2x8 and a piece of log siding comes out the other end. Or feed in a rough cut 1x and a piece of T&G panelling, or crown molding, or baseboard comes out the other end. And a whole pile of shavings goes up the chutes. At one time prize winning livestock at the state fair pooped on my shavings. I've got an old '28 Vonnegut (Kurt's grandad) here that is a 10,000 lb boat anchor if you know anyone that needs one.
This page has a good description and some examples. The cabinet shop had a SCM throughfeed machine back when that was a new concept, ours was the 7th one made. http://www.contactswwmachinery.com/listings.asp?type=Moulders&keyword=Used%20Moulders

astidham

as of today I have 2 sides of the house Log sided..

— Henry Ford

Redoverfarm

Looking good.  Make sure that when you get to the point of completion that you put something to preserve the siding. Insects love raw wood.

astidham

Quote from: Redoverfarm on May 29, 2011, 08:02:39 PM
Looking good.  Make sure that when you get to the point of completion that you put something to preserve the siding. Insects love raw wood.
Thanks Redoverfarm, we are going to prime and paint it a wood like color...
how long do you think it can stay raw?
— Henry Ford

Redoverfarm

Quote from: astidham on May 31, 2011, 04:33:00 PM
Thanks Redoverfarm, we are going to prime and paint it a wood like color...
how long do you think it can stay raw?

I would give it long enough to dry out some.  I would follow-up with a borate to treat the wood for insects and allow it to dry a little longer before putting any finish color. I think Don_P had a formula for the borate. Might I suggest staining rather than painting.  There are a multitude of colors available in both solid and semi-transparent finishes. BTW I used an oil based rather than water based. Paint IMO has a tendency not to last as long between maintenance periods and I think that using a oil based will seal the insect treatment into the wood better. 

astidham

Thanks Redoverfarm, I would like that recipe if at all possible.
— Henry Ford