wood and tile floor question

Started by Deana, January 03, 2007, 01:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deana

I really like this look, the combination of flooring tile with wood.

[/img]

Is there a book out there that tells how it's done or does anyone have any ideas?
Would the wood be the same as used in the living room adjacent to this hall? Do have leftover wood from the living room floor but not sure what to do about the tongue and groove edges and where the wood intersects in a grid pattern.
I'd like to do this in a back hallway that is currently carpeted. The room off of the hall is hardwood as in the picture.

MountainDon

That's a very nice floor! No wonder you'dlike to duplicate it. I don't have the answer or know for certain where to look.

But I believe the T&G would have to be cut/milled off to a square edge. As for the intersecting joints, trim cutting with a fine toothed cabinet maker blade in a power miter box will obtain the precise cuts necessary. Using a biscuit joiner at the joints would help in locking the joints.

It would be interesting to know waht got cemented in place first; wood or tile. Can't tell from the pix if there's grout as well??

Very nice treatment; I'll be watching this for all the expert answers too.  glenn? PEG?...

glenn-k

You got me - I think I'd just get the materials I wanted and experiment.

peg_688

It would be problematic floor / labor intensive floor system, I'd worry about the wood needing refinished way before the tile was worn.

It would also , IMO, be problematic in that moisture content / movement between the two very different materials would be hard / impossible to control except with a radient floor heating system.

It appears the photo house has forced air , at least it looks like a F/A floor register in the photo , I wonder how that floor is holding up ??

If I where to lay that type floor , I'd use very dry / stable wood.  It looks to be about 3" wide  , I would want it to be one piece , not two T&G'ed  together with the other groove and tongue ripped off.

I'd kerf the back side with three eq' saw kerfs to help / minimize cupping of the brds.

I'd lay out the grid running the most viewed / longest runs that could be seen as the long pieces and the sqr's as the cross pieces. I'd MTL screw and plug the wood down , I don't think face nailing into 3/4" sobfloor would do the job.

I sand and finish the wood then cover it with a protective tape knifing off the tape flush with the wood.

I'd  fill in the sqr's with the right thickness Wonder board to make my tile as flush as I could . Lay the tile w/ thinset, grout and seal tile .

Remove tape from wood hoping it didn't lift the finish . Special tape from The  Protect company for tubs / showers / door sills would be my tape of choice.

I would then pray no one dropped something on a tile , that the Dish washer/ toilet / washer wouldn't leak and the floor would last a long time .  And the people would pay me vast sums of money for all that work and thinkin!

It would not be easy to make all this happen, so G/L PEG    

glenn-k

That sounds like a lot of work, PEG, but also all sounds reasonable.

Good thing we have someone here who doesn't do everything with a nail gun and chainsaw.  :)

mark_chenail

Im not positive about this, but Im not at all sure this floor is what it appears to be. Blow the picture up in your photo viewer and take a good look. I think it may be a very very good quality vinyl floor that looks like tile and wood.  It might be vinyl tiles or sheet goods.  Look at the uniform  color of the tiles.  The shadows and highlights seem to be the same all over the floor. And it looks awfully smooth and flat. No real texture. Id check your local flooring showroom.My guess is high end Armstrong or Mannington.    Its a beautiful look but I think it may be smoke and mirrors. :-?

Sassy

Mark, I tend to agree with you - I've seen linoleum that looked just like that, in fact, it seemed to be a popular pattern years ago... I could be wrong... it looks really nice in that picture, tho.  

MountainDon

Well Mark; it would appear you are probably very well correct. It never occured to me that this could be sheet vinyl. So, I had a search on Armstrong's website
One of their designs/colors...
http://www.armstrong.com/resflram/na/sheet/en/us/prod_detail.asp?itemId=73088.0

they have good/better/best/luxury categories.  this would be in their best

mark_chenail

Mountain Don:  Yeah I saw that pattern on the Armstrong site and figured the one in the post was just another color variation.  Of course you can always do it PEG's way  just for the fun of it. ;)

MountainDon

QuoteI really like this look, the combination of flooring tile with wood.

Deana, where did the pictures you posted come from?

Deana

Mountain Don: " Deana, where did the pictures you posted come from?"

Here's the link:  http://www.visualtour.com/shownp.asp?T=445410

It is a stone house that is/was for sale, I really doubt that it's vinyl,  but either way I want the authentic version :-)
When the page loads, click on the 'gallery' option to see the picture I posted, or do the 360 tour, you might be able to get an angle that shows it better.

Here is another link, http://www.forsalebyowner.com/listing/D1A98
it's  to a house in Co. for sale, (click the 'next' button 4x to get the picture) same concept, just different look. This listing does state  "terra cotta tile inlayed with hard wood".

I first saw this in farmhouses in Europe (France and Italy iirc) same theme ie wood and terracotta but in many different layouts.  Some of the houses are  hundreds of years old, and yes it does get a rough well worn look, but that's what I like about it.

Also found an article today, wish it had the pictures to go with it
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4196/is_20010909/ai_n10713897

MountainDon

Thganks for the links Deana. So I suppose you have to find someone who has done this type of floor, or use PEG or someone like him, someone who cares about what he does. Now that my mind has been refreshed on this topic I do recall seeing variations on this. One was hardwood strips like you submitted, but with carpet in squares. Another was two very different appearing woods. I do like the looks of that ceramic tile and hardwood!

Why don't you contact that "forsalebyowner" and ask who they used. Maybe that'll lead someplace.

Sassy

That is a really neat looking home!  After looking at the pictures, you could see that the floor is wood & tile.  I love the stone...

mark_chenail

Wow: That is quite a house and in the tour you can see that the floors are indeed tile and wood and NOT vinyl.  Ive seen similar floors in France as well.  Its not going to be an easy floor to do thats for sure.  High end work.  Better hire Peg.

bartholomew

Deana, there was a variation of this concept in Fine Homebuilding magazine many years back. Instead of tile, the squares were filled with concrete which was then stained and finished to look like tile. The squares were quite large, several feet square I think. The wood strips were laid down first and used as screeds for leveling the concrete. The finished floor looked great. The article was also republished in the book "More Small Houses"...

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/1561582786/countryplans.com

Deana

Thanks Bartholomew,
Went to B&N's this weekend and they actually had it in stock.

Sassy

We basically did that in the kitchen/den area of the cabin, but used a stablized adobe instead of concrete.  I stained & finished the wood dividers 8'x8' & 16'x8' with the perimeter also in wood.  Now, I just finish the whole floor with a concrete sealer about once a month which hardens the surface & makes it shiney.  

I liked this idea, also - would like to do it in the great room - but Glenn says its a lot more work  :-/ - so don't know for sure what we'll end up doing.  If we could duplicate the floor in the "conversation pit" area of the cabin, I would love that  :) only thing is, the linseed oil makes it quite dark...  

Amanda_931

Holly wood is very light colored, isn't it?  Or even hickory.  Wouldn't darken too much.  But the orange clay does go almost to black.

By the way, decorative rubber mats imbedded in the earthen floor don't really seem to be a success.  Although since I never got around to sealing the floor I'm not totally sure (some critter--possibly named Cherty Pie Barker--ate the floor where I had put some test linseed oil on it--I need to get the door and windows finished), but it kind of looks like there's too much movement in the rubber.

Sassy

:D better feed that dog better!   ;)   I'm curious as to why the red/orange clay turns so dark...  :-?

Amanda_931

Less effect inside the room.  So I'm thinking it's ultraviolet light reacting with the linseed oil.  But it's happened on a clay sample and on some wood.