Do you like a metal roof??

Started by 2zwudz, October 20, 2009, 08:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2zwudz

Who likes the metal roofs on their cabins/houses and why?  I am building a cabin and I am going to be installing a metal roof and was wondering how others like theirs and how difficult (valleys) it is to install?  Actually I am considering putting one on the house we live in also.  So if you have any pros and cons to offer that would be great.

Thanks
Mark

MountainDon

We have ribbed metal on our suburban house and our cabin. EWe did the house as it needed a new roo and we figured this would be the last roof we do. It saves us 10% on our home owner insurance. We chose metal for the cabin to facilitate snow slide off. Metal will also allow us to harvest water or drinking purposes if we follow that path.

The house roof was installed by a crew of pro roofers who installed roofs for a home contractor. It has 4 valleys but I never had to deal with that. The roofers used a power saw and snips. The cabin was done by the son of a friend.

The only con is you slide off easier. Oh and the other thing was that as soon as the metal was on the house roof that faces the TV station antennas on the mountain, the signal went to crap. Our antenna was in the attic. Now it's on the roof top.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

If I had it to do over I would still go with metal on my cabin.  My house has 40 yr arch shingles and when they go I will probably go with metal.  As far as the valleys they are not a real problem to install. Get the valley metal and lay the roofing angled to that.  Alot of accurate measurments needed to get the angle to be the same all the way down.  Even with metal I used "ice guard" under the valley.  If you are in a snow region then either invest in "snow birds" or not install gutters. I am planning on using an alternative to snow birds once I get the gutters installed.

Bobmarlon

Im getting close to my roof I was always planning on going with a metal roof but now Im thinking of ashphalt just because I want to be able to walk on it later and not slide right off. 

MountainDon

What pitch Bob?

Our suburban house is 4:12. I have a pair of crepe rubber sole shoes that are reserved for nothing but walking on metal roofs. There's not much I need to access up there; the A/C and a vent stack I have to run the drain auger through once a year or two is about all. That and to inspect around the skylight flashing once a year.

The cabin is 5.5:12 and I am not as comfortable on it. I have installed some angle iron "cleats" where I climb to access the chimney for the wood stove. I have been meaning to take a picture or two and post in my cabin topic, but keep forgetting.  d*

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

JRR

I have never heard a person, with a metal roof, say: "I wish I had installed a (asphalt shingle, cedar shake, fiber glass, tile, etc, etc.) roof".

There may be someone out there unhappy with their metal roof ... but I haven't talked with them.

Squirl

Also most metal roofs qualify for the new energy tax credits up to $1500.  I believe asphalt can, but it is not very common and I believe it costs more.  Metal roofs can last indefinitely with painting and maintenance and the warranty is usually longer.  Metal roofing cost only 20% more than asphalt for me.

Shingles are easier to handle and lay.

NM_Shooter

I actually think metal is faster to put down though.  I like it a lot, and if I have a choice I'll never own a home without it.  It might be a bit more expensive, but it sure looks great, holds up well to extreme weather, and sheds show very well.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

upa

Metal is great to work with, it just gets a little challenging as do it yourselfer with valleys and complex roof designs. I installed with just a standard roofing nailer an alternative composite shake( made out of recycled tires, hemp, pop bottles) called enviroshake on my urban home. Manufacturer claims an expected life expectancy of 100 years and offers a 50 year non prorated warranty(full replacement anytime in the 50 year period). It's comparible in price to cedar shakes.
The following is a pic from the manufactures website, not my house.

MountainDon

Quote from: Squirl on October 21, 2009, 09:41:09 AM
Also most metal roofs qualify for the new energy tax credits up to $1500. 

Depends on the color and ability to reflect heat I believe

kyounge1956

that Enviroshake makes a good-looking roof, upa. I've been planning on using metal on my place when I build. I'll have to check out Enviroshake at the Home Show this weekend.

Bobmarlon

Quote from: MountainDon on October 20, 2009, 10:10:14 PM
What pitch Bob?

Our suburban house is 4:12. I have a pair of crepe rubber sole shoes that are reserved for nothing but walking on metal roofs. There's not much I need to access up there; the A/C and a vent stack I have to run the drain auger through once a year or two is about all. That and to inspect around the skylight flashing once a year.

The cabin is 5.5:12 and I am not as comfortable on it. I have installed some angle iron "cleats" where I climb to access the chimney for the wood stove. I have been meaning to take a picture or two and post in my cabin topic, but keep forgetting.  d*

Its 4:12 where the loft is and 10:12 for the rest Ill try to post some pictures of it tomorrow. 

MountainDon

10:12  :o  !!!   I wouldn't want anything to do with that.  No, not me.

;D ;D

Bobmarlon

I think the forum should put a sticky that is a warning to new cabin builders the first warning 10:12 12:12 is really steep and your cabin will be really tall. 

rwanders

:) IMO, you can't beat 10/12 or 12/12 for looks or snow & rain dumping---only drawback is the difficulties posed by the steepness.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Dave Sparks

There are ways to deal with steepness on metal roofs. Sailors go aloft all the time safely. The best reason is rainwater tastes so good off a painted metal roof. Even snowmelt can be pretty good if it warms up a little......
"we go where the power lines don't"

Redoverfarm

There is more advantages of going to a 10/12 or 12/12 than disadvantages when considering headroom.  The main disadvantage is the steepness.  But that is normally only during installation.  After that how many times to you get up onto your roof after the installation?  I really don't need to get on the roof as I know the extra pitch will shed water alot better than a lower pitch.  Another disadvantage is the snow in regions who have it in association with gutters.  But there are fixes for about everything.  Diverters, snow birds and the like.  Also with metal there is no repairing loose shingles or any opening that water may seep into.

glenn kangiser

I also like metal.  Do it once and you are done for the next 100 or so years.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dave Sparks

There are also now color choices that are as reflective as white and silver.  When we built we picked a forest green over a lite color so the house would blend in and keep the locals from noticing us.  Nasa has developed thru contractors additives in the paint that make darker colors as reflective as the lighter ones.  I have even seen paint you can buy to change the color of an existing and get the benefit of this technology.

glenn kangiser

That's probably a good choice, Dave.  I hear some of the locals are pretty crazy. [crz]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dave Sparks

Quote from: glenn kangiser on October 29, 2009, 11:06:19 PM
That's probably a good choice, Dave.  I hear some of the locals are pretty crazy. [crz]

Right!  The thing now is we are the people we warned ourselves about ???

glenn kangiser

I know I'm scared....

I heard about me over the fire scanner during the Telegraph Fire... "A crazy guy with guns and a tractor.... " [waiting]

mountainmomma

On either end of the roof predrill a hole, preferbly in the ridge, but if you have trusses, a truss would work just as well. Put a real beefy eyelet into each hole. Run a piece of cable between the two eyelets.  Cable clamp both ends making sure not to saddle a dead horse.  Three clamps on each end. Have that cable as tight as humanly possible.
   Now you need a carribeaner (the ones mountain cliimbers use) Hook that on to the cable. Hanging from the carribeaner is whatever size rope you want. This is your life rope. Put loops in the rope, knots, or  tie the end around your waist.
   It's like a dog run on top of your house. It allows the rope to be above you at all times. We did a metal roof with this method. We left the run up there till we were ready for ridge metal. All the panels and gable trim were put on without anyone falling.

considerations

Metal roofs are fire retardants, oh and did I mention they are fire retardants?  I'm happy with them.  I watched my folk's chalet (a REALLY steep roof) cedar shake roof age over 28 years and was hugely relieved when it was decided to include an allowance for replacing it in the sale price, rather than having it done (i.e.; all heads swivel toward me) before the sale.   

Dave Sparks

Quote from: considerations on November 01, 2009, 02:24:15 PM
Metal roofs are fire retardants, oh and did I mention they are fire retardants?  I'm happy with them.  I watched my folk's chalet (a REALLY steep roof) cedar shake roof age over 28 years and was hugely relieved when it was decided to include an allowance for replacing it in the sale price, rather than having it done (i.e.; all heads swivel toward me) before the sale.   

To be class A rated a metal roof needs fiberglass underlayment instead of Tar Paper. Not sure if this makes sense or at least it has not unless someone tells me why?