dodge
3 (13.6%)
other
6 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: September 24, 2010, 02:34:33 PM

OlJarhead

Quote from: Erin on September 15, 2010, 10:05:23 AM
PS:  How bad does this road usually get??

Quoteor else park a basic 4by at the end of the dirt road, and a monster for the dirt road.
A "dirt" road doesn't mean it's full of washouts or always muddy...  
Though the last place we lived on, I had three miles of just such a road and I drove it with my Focus.  lol  
For that matter, my Metro is the best vehicle I've ever had in nice, greasy mud.  So long as I didn't high-center, I can get that thing through some pretty messy roads.  Deep snow is a problem though unless you're driving something both high, and heavy.  That way you can hit drifts and have the momentum to carry you through.

But unless you have regular rain/heavy snow, you probably won't need too much, just to get down a dirt road...   ???

And it's only a mile??  Unless you're hauling big stuff in (lumber, etc.) you can just walk in if the road was too bad.  Again, experience talking.  lol

Excellent point!

My wifes Chevy Astro Van has driven into our place a few times.  When the weather is good and there is not risk of a washout it makes it there ok -- though some steep sections you have to be careful or it will spin and dig up the gravel a bit trying to make the grade ;)

rick91351

Clearly one size does not fit all!   Going and coming from our property is 50 / 50 dirt - pavement.  Our dirt roads are very well maintained roads.  But we have some very long steep hills.  My wife's Charger makes it up and back just fine, as does my little fuel squeezer three seasons.  But hey winter time    :-\

So for us it is a short box Ford F250 PS 4X4.   I am usually pulling a trailer so it seems.  So the short box works great.  We have a very heavy duty flat bed and a stock trailer for pull trailers.  (We haul the fourwheelers in the stock trailer all the time.  Sort of a garage for them this time of year.)  We had a removable fifth wheel / goose neck hitch also installed.  When it is removed there is not even a bracket in the back.  To hook up to a goose neck trailer just pull the release in the wheel well.  Climb in the back, pull the goose neck ball up and turn it over and simply set it back into the hole.  Lock the ball in by closing the release in the wheel well.  That works so good, we will do that again on our next truck.  There is no bracket or anything in the bed.

Hauling a lot of weight in and out as we do, both my wife and I.  With an automatic and steep hills it is pure 'pay me now, or pay me latter....'  I watch the AT temp gauge very closely as I do the fluid for any sign of discoloration.  Clearly the weak link in this truck is the AT.  But we get it serviced very regularly fluid changed and flushed and it has paid off big time.  2003 and runs like new.

If I were to buy another truck new today for the applications we use them - Chevy Duramax with the Alison.  
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

altaoaks

hi guys, i slipped off t work, couldnt wait to get back in and read more. [cool] 

erin, my area is just below the tahoe national forest at about 4000 elevation in the sierra nevadas.  mostly ponderosas and other pines.  it gets about 3' of snow at the worst, some ice, lots of rain.  my dirt road isnt real steep, but it curves around a bit, and it is an easement for 3 other properties.  the other 3 are up there full time.  therefore it gets quite a bit of use.  the neighbor said they get enough snow that they loose power for as much as a week at a time.  if you go off that road you go into a ravine the entire distance.  its got some potholes, i have a dodge grand caravan, and it makes it in ok with good weather.  we only bought it this spring, so i dont know from personal experience how bad it gets, but the neighbor makes it sound pretty rugged.  the dirt there is some DG and a lot of clay.  i hope the DG is primary, but i see lots of clay so getting stuck sounds like a real party.  the neighbor has 2 snowmobiles and says they are mandatory in the worst snow storms.  they have a little tractor they make use of also.  but the guys a bit lazy as with that tractor the road should be pristine, at least in the summer, which it was not.

oljarhead, thats great imput.  you guys have me thinking.  thanks to all who have shared their knowledge and experience.  you make the learning curve hurt less!

well, im off to another jobsite, ill check back in when i return.  many thanks to all.

Rover

Sorry to hijack the thread.
I'm trying to add photos for first time.  Thanks Glenn.  I hope this worked. It's 2 pics of my little workhorse.  One is just before the rebuild started.  The other obviously part way thru the project.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: texasgun on September 15, 2010, 09:48:18 AM
Also - Mahindra is coming out with a small diesel 4x4 truck Come on Glen do you really belive it ? I have been waiting for about 4 years now  [noidea'

I know TG....

It's just that the finally got the EPA thing passed....

Dealer lawsuit was still hanging last I heard...

but... still .. maybe....
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: NM_Shooter on September 15, 2010, 09:50:42 AM
I've owned several different brands and types of vehicles within those brands. 

For rock crawling, I'd pick a Jeep. 

For mud, snow, and tight areas, I'd pick a late 90's 4-Runner. 

For towing, I'll stick with my F250 PS. 

I agree, Frank... I've towed lots of Fords with my Dodge right after the had a power stroke....

Just razzin ya a bit....

I will say that the Dodge Cummins  is way easier to work on with the straight six - much more room than the rest.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: altaoaks on September 15, 2010, 07:16:38 PM
hi guys, i slipped off t work, couldnt wait to get back in and read more. [cool] 

erin, my area is just below the tahoe national forest at about 4000 elevation in the sierra nevadas.  mostly ponderosas and other pines.  it gets about 3' of snow at the worst, some ice, lots of rain.  my dirt road isnt real steep, but it curves around a bit, and it is an easement for 3 other properties.  the other 3 are up there full time.  therefore it gets quite a bit of use.  the neighbor said they get enough snow that they loose power for as much as a week at a time.  if you go off that road you go into a ravine the entire distance.  its got some potholes, i have a dodge grand caravan, and it makes it in ok with good weather.  we only bought it this spring, so i dont know from personal experience how bad it gets, but the neighbor makes it sound pretty rugged.  the dirt there is some DG and a lot of clay.  i hope the DG is primary, but i see lots of clay so getting stuck sounds like a real party.  the neighbor has 2 snowmobiles and says they are mandatory in the worst snow storms.  they have a little tractor they make use of also.  but the guys a bit lazy as with that tractor the road should be pristine, at least in the summer, which it was not.

oljarhead, thats great imput.  you guys have me thinking.  thanks to all who have shared their knowledge and experience.  you make the learning curve hurt less!

well, im off to another jobsite, ill check back in when i return.  many thanks to all.

Clay can be the worst.  hard underneath with grease on the top.  I have parked my truck at the bottom of the hill about 500 feet from the top when it started sliding sideways.  In a few hours it dries out - no problem.  Packed snow or ice can be the same on a side hill.  Don't push your luck even with 4x4.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Erin on September 15, 2010, 09:53:59 AM
Quote4 wheel drive doesn't always mean you can go anywhere in anything.  It just means that when it is stuck in the mud it is a hell of a lot harder to get it out.

My dad always taught us to drive as though you don't have 4WD.  That way, if you get stuck, you can pop it in 4WD and get out.
But if you get stuck IN 4WD you need a tractor.   :P

QuoteI would also recommend a Dodge 4x4 pickup used with a Cummins diesel
Well I suppose...
But only if you can't find a Ford!  ;)

Truth be told, if I were shopping for something to be JUST for 4WD and cabin-building, I'd get an old Ford Highboy.  They have about nine parts, all of which are readily available.  The engine compartment is enormous so they're easy to work on.  It's old enough (and made from real steel!) you'll won't cry when you bang it up.  And, unless you find one that's all souped up, you can find a good running one for less than $2K.   
And old pickups were made in the day when they were built to be ABUSED and live to tell the tale. 

You got it Erin.  Get stuck in 2 wd - maybe out in 4 wd. 

I was always one to do some stupid stuff having fun though.  Like driving on frozen snow then dropping through with all 4 , then using the winch to pull it out a bit sideways to the best tree I could find and popping the tire off of the rim.  Then airing the tire up with the freon from my air conditioner... then I got out [ouch]   and eased it back to town...

A Ford, Erin....  Ever try to work on one of those?  Don't try to tell me you don't have to... I have neighbors with Fords - haven't seen him for a while -- truck broke down....(his Ford)  :)

glenn kangiser

Rover -- cool - now we can see what you are up to. :)

MountainDon

Quote from: Erin on September 15, 2010, 09:53:59 AM
....... I'd get an old Ford Highboy.  They have about nine parts, all of which are readily available.  The engine compartment is enormous so they're easy to work on.  It's old enough (and made from real steel!) you'll won't cry when you bang it up.

with emphasis on the highboy. Back in the day I thought it was just about the end of the world as we knew it when they lowered their 4x4.   

One like this but with Knobby Gnarly tires

Lots of room for the mud to fly....
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dug

You can get as serious as your wallet can handle but in my view the best 4 by is the one that runs and is paid in full.

If you drive with a little finesse you can go a long ways. I've driven a 64 plymouth valiant to places most would fear to tread.  ;)

Erin

I agree. 
4WD doesn't make up for someone who can't drive;)
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

glenn kangiser

Talking about me again, Erin?... [waiting]

:)

I got my 81 Cherokee Chief running decent finally too.  The smog stuff is no longer available - without it the old carb will not put in fuel - electronic controls - so I junked a lot of the stuff and put a Weber conversion on it.  Getting the bumps out of it now but much better.

Anybody worry about the K&N type filter Weber uses - will it dust out an engine in fine clay dust?

MountainDon

I know a number of people who use a K&N oiled filter element on vehicles and many have 200,000+ miles with no apparent issues. Me too. But my '99 only just turned over the 100K mark.  And that's with a lot of fine dusty trails here in NM and UT.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Thanks, Don - Harry was a bit worried about it so hopefully I can stop worrying about it now. :)

New Jeep Cherokee Commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi0SbrrGaiw

MountainDon

My filter sure collects a lot of crud.

I've seen that commercial. All the new 4x4's look too cushy, too polished. I miss the rubber mats in the old Land Cruisers and the old Scouts.

OlJarhead

I also use a K&N with Rusty's tube -- no problems at all.

But then I've been around and involved with racing for many years (not now) and K&N's are used a heck of a lot!  Baja was/is a proving ground and a K&N will flow better clogged then a fram that's new :)

Rover

My rover has an interesting air filter.  Its an oil bath type canister standing approx 12" tall.  Its a double wall canister.  Outside air enters from top down thru the centre tube and it has to bubble thru approx 2" of oil.  The oil sits in a wire mesh to keep it from sloshing too much.  The dirt stays in the oil and the clean air is drawn to the outside cavity where its drawn up to the hose to the carb.  Quite simple and has worked in that fine silt of Baja California and in water-crossing up back home.

Dave Sparks

A Tacoma 4WD that seats four. There is an english TV show that tries to destroy vehicles and the mechanics only have 20 minutes to fix them. Yep, the Toyota Tacoma!
"we go where the power lines don't"

Onkeludo2

You are speaking of Top Gear...and the Toyota Hi Lux.  The Hi lux has almost NO similarity to the Tacoma until the most recent version and it is not because they brought the Tacoma up to the Hi Lux standards...Also, that was a diesel.

That being said, the pre-Tacoma and the first gen Tacoma 4WD are exceptionally rugged.  The 22R/22RE motors will not die.  I would say the same of the Nissan Hardbody and first gen Frontier with the D24 motor or the later 3.3L VG motor.

The Mahindra that was mentioned early has more in common with the Hi Lux or the BT50 Mazda/Ford small truck (not sold in America).  I am one of the ones really hoping Mahindra can make a go of it because the Mazda will hopefully put their new Sky-D motor into a US-legal BT50 now that they can't rebadge American Ford Rangers much longer.

If all you need it is to get you in and out and heavy loads are not a consideration, the Suzuki Sidekick is cheap, capable and even makes an inexpensive daily driver.
Making order from chaos is my passion.

OlJarhead

Four studded snow tires, front wheel drive, and more guts then brains maybe....

I drove this 1981 Honda Civic home (10 miles) through a blizzard that dumped over 18" of snow on us that night....I made it home just fine...though it was hard to see after a while!

The spoiler pushed the snow right up over the grill and onto the Windshield stopping the windshield whipers!

This was taken in 1983/84 in Port Alberni BC.

altaoaks

trust me folks, I AM taking notes.  i really appreciate everyones imput here, and i know so much more than i did before i asked.  i would not have known to look for a 4 by that is high off the ground, and tires were (in my mind) any mud and snow would do.  well, i will be a much more discriminating buyer thanks to all of you who have put in your knowledge and experience.

Much Thanks to MountainDon, Rover, Oljarhead, Glen Kangiser,  Dug, Onkeludo2, Dave Sparks, et al.  I am sure that there are more folks out there who will be appreciating your help with the learning curve.

glenn kangiser

I am next wanting to get my 81 Jeep Cherokee Chief up higher off of the ground.  Made it to LA and back so may go farther in working on it.

One more obstacle before that though is seeing if I miss out on having to smog it at license time this year.  I think I am home free though.

Dave Sparks

Hey Glen! Why is it you don't avoid the smog thing by using m-posa? just curious...
"we go where the power lines don't"

glenn kangiser

I am, Dave.  Got the initial smog passed when I bought it and should be no more except...

There are stories of a change in the smog inspections and cars under 30 years old will have to pass smog.  It is just turning 30.  I don't know the validity of the rumor as things get blown out of proportion sometimes.  It is coming up for renewal next month I think.  If there are no problems then I will continue to do things to it to make it into a real usable vehicle.. I hope.

Looking at going to 33 inch tires - lifting the body possibly and working over the suspension to get 'er up.