1 1/2 Story Build in East TN (20x34)

Started by GoldenGirl, October 29, 2015, 08:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldenGirl

I feel like this post is a milestone in and of itself!  I never imagined we would end up doing a DIY build.

We bought property when we moved here, to East TN.  A couple of months ago we ordered the 1 1/2 story plans.  We've cleared some land and will likely wait until early next year to hit the ground running.

Due to local codes I realized that we had to change the stairs.  That has proved the most problematic right now.  I think I've re-designed the house about 20 times since I began, and about 10 times since I bought the plans.  That doesn't include the times we've changed our minds about the type of foundation...  I grew up with a full basement full of junk.  But the recurring theme I keep hearing is, "If I could do it over I'd put in a basement."  We will probably go with a full, walkout basement.  We are also extending it to 34'. 

The forum has already been a big help in designing.  Our goal was to build a house without drowning in debt, and expand it later if we needed or wanted to.  In the end, as of right now anyway, I have pretty much borrowed plans from someone else here.  (http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=13150.0).  They did a Universal build, but I LOVE the floorplan.  I changed a few things to suit our needs, mostly mirroring the plans and rearranging the mud room.

I realize that the upstairs cannot accommodate so many features with the slope of the roof.  But I've been looking into using 12' or 14' 2x's for the balloon framing instead of the 10' that the plans call for.  (That's why there is an awkward empty space against the outside wall in the upstairs bath.)  And that leads me to my current state:  Trying to figure out how to go about doing this so that the structure stays not just sound, but off my "If I could do it over..." list.  I've read a bit about it in the other threads.  Looks like I'll need to go with engineered trusses, discussing scissoring or something of the sort with them.  But is there anything we should be looking at?  Beefing up any other parts of the wall?  Or should I just platform frame with a bigger knee wall?   ???

Cost is a consideration, but not at the expense of the structure obviously.  Any pointers to the 2012 IRC code book for this sort of thing?  I've been scanning it but I'm not totally sure where to reference.

Looking forward to being here and sharing in everyone else's journey, too!   

NathanS

Congrats on the land and getting ready to build. My wife and I are at the same stage as you guys. For a long time we thought we would do the 1.5 story (still love that plan), but we need 3 bedrooms and two full baths for kids. We realized the 2 story universal is a much better fit for us. We are in a colder climate than you, but it also would have been cost prohibitive with snow load and insulation to do a cathedral ceiling with the amount of insulation we want.

Have you thought about going to a full two story?

Good luck and looking forward to following your build.

kenhill

Might consider putting a penninsula at the right end of your counter jutting out towards the stairs.  Make the counter big enough and put some stools there to eat.  It would give you more cupboard space too.

GoldenGirl

Thanks for the suggestions!

NathanS, I am starting to wonder about that myself.  I just read this (http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=14123.msg184215#msg184215) thread about extending walls & balloon framing.  I don't like making decisions based on fear...but a two story sure seems less complicated for this first-timer.  We are in quite the same boat.

Kenhill, cabinet space is always a plus.  But we have a table that folds down or expands to seat 2-10 people.  It's probably my most favorite piece of furniture we own...  Entertainment area is more of a priority.  I think.  Knowing me, though, we'll get into that stage of building and I'll say "Gee whiz, he was right!"  :o

Don_P

The purpose of my posts in that thread was to educate rather than to create fear. That is really a 2 story plan. You could do a ridgebeam and dormers but it would take more bucks than it'd be worth I imagine.

CabinNick

I really like your layout as long as there ends up being enough room in the two smaller upstairs bedrooms. 

We are planning on building a 1.5 story with a full loft and probably extending it to 34 or 36 feet also.  I had never thought about trying to put all 3 bedrooms upstairs but now have something entirely new to consider. 

Looking forward to following your build. 

GoldenGirl

Quote from: Don_P on October 29, 2015, 10:00:36 PM
The purpose of my posts in that thread was to educate rather than to create fear. That is really a 2 story plan. You could do a ridgebeam and dormers but it would take more bucks than it'd be worth I imagine.

After I get past the fear, that's what reason seems to be telling me.  It would be more complicated (and costly) to try to squeeze our wants/needs into a 1.5 story.  Our original intent was to start with the 1.5 and add on as necessary.  But knowing that foundations and roofs are the most costly part, it seems like better sense to just build a 2 story and be done.  This website is indescribably valuable.  Thanks for keeping up with it.

Quote from: CabinNick on October 29, 2015, 11:27:22 PM
I really like your layout as long as there ends up being enough room in the two smaller upstairs bedrooms. 

CabinNick, I'm pretty sure there won't be enough room with the 1.5 story, unless you add higher kneewalls or just go to full 2nd story.  The bathroom would be difficult to squeeze in, also.  That was the issue I was running into.  We have 2 little boys and another on the way.  Squeezing three (eventually) full-grown boys into a cramped loft...well, that would be interesting. 
Took a look at some of your pictures.  Beautiful property!  You will have to keep us updated on your build.

John Raabe

The 2-story Universal is not as attractive as a "classic cabin", but it is more flexible, easier to build and less likely to need custom engineering. All important issues to consider.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

CabinNick

John - what makes the universal 2 story easier to build than the 1.5 story?  Generally speaking, do you think going to the 2 story instead of the 1.5 adds much more cost?

John Raabe

With the Universal all the house is platform framed with equal length (precut?) studs. Either house can have a truss roof, but the Univ. is easier to build and goes up faster. Universal will cost more in total but cost per SF of living space should be lower.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

flyingvan

I bet the cost per square foot drops off dramatically going 20 x 20 versus 16 x 20
Find what you love and let it kill you.