Where can I find these pier blocks?

Started by SardonicSmile, August 25, 2009, 09:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SardonicSmile

Where can I get (or find out how to make) forms like this? I would much rather use these than the round forms. How exactly does that bracket attach? I'm building the 30x20 1 1/2 story.

John Raabe

I wouldn't suggest using this shallow pier foundation with the 20' wide 1-1/2 story. It doesn't meet the stability requirements for a tall house. This type of pier is for a light weight one-story structures such as the Little House.

The pier above will be made locally and may be called a "deck block". They are not always available nationally as they are expensive to transport. You can make your own with a square wood form and a Simpson bracket - diagram in the Little House plans.

But, do a deeper more anchored pier as shown in the plans for the 1-1/2 story.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

SardonicSmile

Sounds good.. So i basically just pour the concrete footings in the holes with an "x" rebar near the bottom and one coming up through the middle, and then I sit the tubes on top - and cut the tubes until they are level. Then fill the tubes and insert the brackets. Correct? I know there's more to it than that, but.. generally speaking.

Redoverfarm

SardonicSmile you can also use "flue block" as your piers.  Lay with mortar on your concrete footings to the desired heigth.  Use the cavity to configure rebar and then fill with concrete to the top and add the fastner.