16x24 Little House in Tennessee

Started by truthtalker1, February 05, 2007, 12:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truthtalker1

Hello,

I just purchased Plans for the Little house. I plan on modifying them to 16x24. I should begin construction sometime in the next few months. We will work on it over the summer of 2007.

I will post pictures as we build.

glenn-k

Welcome to the forum.

The Little House plans are rated at 14' wide if I remember right.  If in a permit required area this could present problems.  Loadings change when width changes.  Length changes are easier as loadings per footing etc. remain similar.

The Victoria's Cottage is based on a 16' wide plan.  Just a couple things to consider before you get going.

Looking forward to seeing more of you on the forum.

We have a few members in your state. :)

truthtalker1

Thanks Glenn,

I appreciate any advice you can give. I will most likely be asking quite a few questions.

The county in which we purchased our land, has no county Government and no building codes at all, except that you must purchase a septic permit from the health department; which we have already done, had it perked, and flagged off. I have never heard of no building codes until now! I have checked and double checked; its true.

here's a pic of the land

Thanks for your help,
Bryan

glenn-k

If you already have your plans ordered and have no permit issues, I would post a comment in plans support to John asking his advice on things to watch out for in changing width.  Since the little house design was 14 feet he may not officially approve the widening, but may give you clues of what to beef up.  

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Check My Near Free RV storage garage posting for a view of the general shape of the 14x24 little house plan.  I also went on my own and modified it to post and beam to use free materials so ignore that part. :)

youngins

Rob LeMay did the same thing for his: http://www.countryplans.com/lemay.html

Not sure what exact modifications he made, though.

phalynx

Bryan,

What county are you building in?  There are only a handful in TN that really don't have permits and such.

truthtalker1

The property is in Benton County. I confirmed the building codes with the city of Camden codes department and also the health department septic inspector; they both told me that outside the city limits there are absolutely no building codes other than you must have a septic tank ( and have it inspected before it is covered up) and the electric needs to be inspected. They also told me there was no building permit to be bought for those outside city limits.

If this is un-true please let me know or point to whom else I should ask.

Thanks for your help,

Bryan

glenn-k

Straight from the horses mouth -- I'd make a note of date and time and what was said then not ask anymore.  You did your part so enjoy unhassled building.  Just get the ones they want when the time comes.

phalynx

I think Benton county is exempt at this time so he may be in the clear.  We spent a LOT of time TN looking at land and found out that you don't want to miss a permit...  Also, they enacted an "impact fee" for most counties that is quite substantial to a small budget.  Again, Benton seems exempted.  There are only a handful that are so he may be lucky..  Build quick!!!

benevolance

there are still a few laces in Tennessee where there is no zoning of any kind and no property taxes....I dream of living in a place like that.... by the time I have the money to move there they will have changed the laws and there will be so many restrictions the whole thing will be ruined

youngins

Have you seen "Off the Map" with Sam Elliot, Joan Allen, Amy Brenneman, J.K. Simmons?

It was filmed near Taos and Colorado's San Luis Valley.

Info about the movie:
http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=278871

The main location is a beautiful straw-bale home. A real testament to ecological living.

Chris

Sassy

That looks like a really good movie!   I watched the trailer - will have to look for it in the store...  

youngins

It is.  As the review says - don't expect your traditional Hollywood type flick.

It has all of the elements - but it is more down to earth.

Chris

brocks

i built ahouse in cedar grove tn. about 10 years ago and it was like that , just septic and electrical permits. don't know how it is now, used to go up to sugar tree on the tenn. river . good times

truthtalker1

John & Glenn,
   I received my plans in the mail yesterday. Wow! I was amazed at the wealth of information. It was well worth the money.

Thank You for what you do,
Bryan

glenn-k

I'm just a volunteer here but agree, John does a great job on the plans and of course has a great forum.  :)

brocks

hey truthtalker  , expect to pound about a zillion nails and then some or a nail gun , but congrats your well on your way. keep us posted on the progress  ..

desimulacra

Hi
I'm new to this forum. I found it looking for smaller plans. Wow there is a wealth of info here!
I resurrected this thread because I also live in Benton County, yes there are no permits here!! [cool]
I was wondering if Bryan has got any pics of his progress?
West Tennessee

glenn kangiser

He must be busy building -- his last posting there was the last day he was here.

Welcome to the forum, desimulacra.

This is the place for small expandable plans and info. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jackell99stf

I just got here. I'm resurrecting this because I'm just South of both Benton county and Cedar Grove (part of which is in my home county) and I'm hoping some of the folks who are in this area are still on here.
Jack,
Reagan, TN

dmanley

We're in the process of building a small cabin in Scott Co, TN.  Here is part of a letter I received from the Scott Co Mayor regarding this issue:  "At this time Scott County does not have any building ordinances or building permitting in place. In theory, only if you put electricity, water or a septic system in would you need permits. Then those would be state required permits for Plateau Electric and septic permit from the Health Department."  Gotta love it.

Tennessee Rough Rider

I am building in Monroe County in southeastern Tennessee. Building permit was required....$.05 per square ft., no inspections. Electrical inspections were required and Septic permit ($500.00) had to be purchased prior to electrical final. Well and septic had to be done by state certified contractor. Electrical inspector was a private sub contractor who serviced a 6 county area, and was great to work with!

tightspot

Grundy County is also free of all local permits, for what it's worth.  I bought a lot out there earlier this year and it's the wild west as far as the local government is concerned.