20x30 vs. 24x30

Started by Kristen, September 30, 2006, 03:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristen

While drawing out my single story plan, my 24wx30 (720sf) layout seems perfect for me.  My problem is that I have yet to see/grasp the look/feel of these exterior measurements (too big?  too wide?).  However, I LOVE the look of 20wx30 exterior - hands down.  Any examples/thoughts/suggestions on the difference?

Mark_Chenail

Kristen:   When I first started out designing as a boy and had a hard time visualizing the size of buildings, I used to go to the schoolyard with my sister and a long tape measure and some chalk and layout the floor plan on the blacktop.
That way I got an idea of how big 24x30 was in reality and could adjust accordingly.   Another way to visualize it is to break it down into smaller units.
24x30 is 4 12x15 rooms.  12x15 is a good sized bedroom in most houses. Find a room that size in your home and imagine living in four rooms that size.  Also 24x30 is about as big as a good sized 2 car garage.  Check out a local garage dealer like Bullocks and compare sizes.  
If I were in your place I would go with 24x30.  Its only an extra 120 sq ft which is about as big as 3 queen sized beds.  That much extra space will permit some extra closets and a bit more room around the bed and in the bath and kitchen. Worth the extra expense in my mind.  Good luck with your plan. :)
mark chenail

Kristen

Thanks, Mark.  That's really helpful feedback.  I appreciate it.

glenn kangiser

Other considerations could be the necessity for interior bearing walls- posts - beam down the center - or trusses for the wider span.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

pioneergal

Kristen,

The first thing we built on our property was a 24X32 storage / shed.....a 16X 24 storage with an 8'' sloped shed on each size for lawn mowers and etc.
It was large enough for our family of 3 and we had seriously considered moving into this structure while building our home.
I don't know how many people will be living in your house but even if it's only one person I think that the 120 sq. ft. are WORTH the extra cost.
I just don't think you can have to much room.......you will find something to put there and fill the spot!

And that's my 2 cents! :)  ;)  ;D

Kristen

I definitely want one big open space with nothing in the way.  Does that mean 20'w is the max I could go?  It will only be one level/floor with a very simple (gable?) roofline.

QuoteOther considerations could be the necessity for interior bearing walls- posts - beam down the center - or trusses for the wider span.

Kristen

Gotcha.  Wow.  It will just be for me...private full-time retreat.  Thanks!

QuoteKristen,

The first thing we built on our property was a 24X32 storage / shed.....a 16X 24 storage with an 8'' sloped shed on each size for lawn mowers and etc.
It was large enough for our family of 3 and we had seriously considered moving into this structure while building our home.
I don't know how many people will be living in your house but even if it's only one person I think that the 120 sq. ft. are WORTH the extra cost.
I just don't think you can have to much room.......you will find something to put there and fill the spot!

And that's my 2 cents! :)  ;)  ;D

glenn kangiser

QuoteI definitely want one big open space with nothing in the way.  Does that mean 20'w is the max I could go?  It will only be one level/floor with a very simple (gable?) roofline.

QuoteOther considerations could be the necessity for interior bearing walls- posts - beam down the center - or trusses for the wider span.

No -- There are lots of ways to do things.  You could go to a truss company and get 24' clear span straight or even scissor trusses if you wanted to give you a nice open room.  A beam down the center could be used to cut down on floor joist sizes  and still leave the room open above.  You could also do a slab on grade -

The truss company will supply the engineering for the trusses usually at a very reasonable rate.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

littlegirlgo

Speaking of trusses, has anyone wrangled a 20 foot truss? Is it doable for two persons?  :-/

Live Simply So That Others May Simply Live

glenn kangiser

It shouldn't be a big problem.  Think of the equivalent of picking up about six 12' boards at once with 2 people.  Many times the truss company will have a crane available or know of one to help get them to the roof and placed.

PEG posted some info about trusses here somewhere.  They need to be braced  properly as they are put up so the whole mess doesn't flop over.

Found it--  http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1139724158/3#3

Search truss on this board for more information.

John Raabe

The 20x30 single story plans could be modified with trusses to be 24' wide. If you do a wood floor over a crawlspace you would likely need a centerline girder and posts to support the floor joists. However, these could also be done with deep trusses or engineered joists if you wanted to go full span.
None of us are as smart as all of us.