Dogtrot at Hightop

Started by Redoverfarm, November 25, 2007, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Scott seams like there are still tons of work to be done.  Drywall which is my least favorite subject.  Plumbing another of my least favorite things.  Then of course straightening up the electrical, generator, kitchen cabinets, hardwood floors, tile and the list goes on. 

Sassy

You've done an "outstanding" job, Red!  Lots of time consuming, difficult work there but you've made everything look really great & work together  8)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Looking very nice John!   :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Real busy week but productive.  I finally got all the highwalls trimmed out in the livingroom and loft log section where the log walls meet the ceiling. Also got the 3/4" T&G stained and installed on the entry way of the main entrance.  Biggest challange was cutting the bottom trim (3-1/2" wide) to form a 3/8" lip and 3/8" projection to go on the bottom of the 2X T&G to hide the raw edge on a table saw with the pieces being 12' long.  But with the aid of my helper(son) we got it done.

Loft

Livingroom

ScottA

Looking good John. The place has a real pioneer feel to it.  [cool]

glenn kangiser

Really great chainsaw work, John.  That place has real class.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Thanks Scott & Glenn for your comments.  I guess I will tackle the verticle Locust post next.  Had plugged all the lag bolt holes a couple days ago.  Wanted to get them finished before the flooring because of the stain work.

Redoverfarm

Finished the locust post which are either the short log wall support or the landing for the stairs.  They will pass the "pantyhose test". If you are wondering WHAT?  If a lady would walk buy she wouldn't get a run because of any rough area. The stain was as close as I could get to the actual log color and it's what I had on hand.  The 4"X8" beams were stained the same as well at the T&G beside the door.  As you can see it takes on different effects on different species of wood. Buy not all the logs are the same color either. 

Next in a continuing sage is to re-coat all the 4X8's as they had stayed outside for several months before a roof was installed.  They were stained and two coats of poly was applied originally.  They actually held up well considering.

Here is a few pictures of the post if anyone would want to take a gander and figure out what I am talking about.

Inside of front door

Kitchen short wall

Opposite side of entry door (kitchen)

Back Foyer.  View of where the stairs will be(ladder site)

ScottA

Very nice work John. Looks better every time I see it. I'm jealous.

Redoverfarm

Thanks ScottA.  One piece at a time. Plenty of time to think how to do the next step  ;D

Redoverfarm

Not very productive today.  Early release from School so I managed to get 1/2 day on the cabin.  Temporarily installed a Ashley wood stove to the Kitchen flue.  Within 3 hours the temperature raised from 36F to 53F.  Installed part of the living room gable end drywall.  Outside temp's never got above 30F with blowing snow.  The stove felt pretty good compared to last year without any heat.  Even if it does not get it toasty inside it is a place to back up to and thaw out a little.

MountainDon

I know what you mean    :) :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Seems like a full week of work and nothing appears to get finished.  That's what breaks the boring parts.  Did start finishing the drywall.  At least the first two coats.  I will quote a saying that pretty well pertains to my drywall which was stated by phalynx " I hate drywall".  But as many things in life you have to live with it and move on.

Gable of living room

In addition I got the slate tile laid in front of the fireplace.  The 2X material is just temporary to protect the edges until I get the flooring laid.

With the weather being what it was today I switched gears and began the basement retaining walls which I was going to put off until spring.  With the generator installation it would be difficult to pull it back out after connecting the electrical and gas lines so I will try to get it stoned this fall.   The forecast is  the 50's next week so I jumped at the oppurtunity and parged a portion of the wall today. Monday I will start laying the stone which will mimic the already laid basement entrance.

In case your are wondering what the yellow is at the base of the walls.  This is sand that will absorb the falling mortar from adhering to the concrete slab.  By just sweeping after the parge and stone is laid it will clean up easily without scraping.

I will still have about 1/2 the remainder of the wall to do on the left side which will contain the propane tank which I can move fairly easy with the tractor.  Besides it is a good place to store my sand in the time being.  Just have to remember to cover it as the pine needles and leaves are falling faster and faster these days.

ScottA

Comming along nicely John. I know how it feel to work all week and not see anything that looks like real progress. You're getting there though. Going to be a real showplace when you're done.

Sassy

They'll have to post pix of your cabin on the "Antique Cabin" site - all the special touches you are adding takes time but sure looks great!

Redoverfarm

Sassy & Scott thanks for the encouragement.  Sometimes you can't see the forrest for the trees when you get involved in a long time project.  A lot of back peddling so to speak. 

Sassy I doubt it will make it there. Shoot they probably have as much in one room that I have invested in the whole project.  Either way I am sure I will be pleased when it is finished. 

Scott I do enjoy a challange.  Believe me this has been a challange from the get go. But I still show up everyday and work out the details.  Sometimes they work themselves out as I progress.  There are certain things that are far from the normal construction that I look back now and wonder how I got it to work. Most of which I was familar with but some things new to me . Just about as much time figuring how to do it as there was doing it. 

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

Quote from: MountainDon on November 03, 2008, 07:29:15 PM
Quote from: Redoverfarm on October 31, 2008, 08:20:15 PM
" I hate drywall". 

Ditto, John..  >:(

I satisfied a lady with mine the other day. 

It's not my favorite but I am fair at it. 

I've done enough to be decent at it at least.

Still with all that said, doing it for long periods of time can be really tiring.

My old dead uncle taught me how to do it starting when I was about 9 years old.

Drywall can be hard work. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Just to show you how much I dislike it I moved to the outside and worked on the rock retaining wall just to keep from doing it.  No not really but the thought had crossed my mind.   ;D

Redoverfarm

After a weeks work I now am ready for the generator.  I got the stone laid on the retaining wall which will house the generator and propane tank.  The propane tank area will have to wait until next spring but I will have the tank set and move it later.  You will have to agree that this looks better than before.  The stone laying is a three part sequence of parging, laying and grouting.  I figured out that the time spent on 138 sq ft came out to about 3.45 feet per hour. 

The wall before

The wall afterwards

No thats not clouds.  It is the wood stove smoke.  I did some drywall mudding this morning and started a fire to warm the wall up some. 

I guess next week will be the plumbing and some more drywall unless I can dream up something to do outside. ;D

ScottA

glenn kangiser

Much prettier than block, John

MountainDon

Whitlock

Looks great and I  love the rock work  [cool]
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Sassy