Log Siding: Advantages and Disadvantages

Started by ajbremer, November 27, 2012, 09:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajbremer

11/27/2012

I'm soon going to be putting log siding on my countryplan 20x30 with loft but I thought I would ask a few questions to those who may have used log siding and been around it, what are the good and bad points, advantages and disadvantages?

One guy at work said he wouldn't use log siding again if he could go back. When I asked him why, he said that it twisted and pulled out here and there but he admitted that it probably was because he used nails instead of good screws. He also mentioned that his boards were like 16 foot long. I talked to the guy where I plan to get my log siding from and he showed me some special types of screws to use and said to be sure to go into the studs at all times and he also said he uses 8 foot boards instead of real long ones...maybe because long ones twist and warp easier? Then there's the subject of stains, discoloring, treating, etc.

I would love to hear from people who have lived with log siding for awhile and what they think...thank you.
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

MountainDon

How about people who have not lived with their own log siding but have a couple of friends with it on their cabin and home? That's us, we do love the appearance of the log siding and heavily considered it for our cabin. In the end I decided the log siding would require more intensive maintenance from me than what I was comfortable committing to. Ya'll can call me lazy if you want, not a problem. So we did cement board lap siding and used very good paint.

Over the past 6 years we have known the people with the log sided cabin near us in the mountains I have seen the slow deterioration of the finish. They used no stain but finished in something 'clear'. It's actually yellowish like many. It really needed maintenance about two summers ago. But due to family issues, distances to travel, their work, etc etc it did not get done. Now it looks like the easiest way to save it would be to paint or use non transparent stain. It also has some siding planks that have warped and opened up in a few spots.

The other structure is much larger than the 24 x 24 cabin; it's a full fledged home. Probably 2500 sq feet on two ans a half levels. Same kind of siding. It's roughly 10 years old. It had been neglected too for another handful of assorted reasons. The present owners bought it at a distressed price a few years ago. They spent a month or two in 2011 plus this entire summer refinishing. There was cleaning and dealing with some heavy discoloration in places. There was staining. I forget what all he did. Fortunately there was nothing that needed replacing, other than some handrails here and there that the snow sliding off the roof tore down.  Every time we visited Ronald was doing some part of the refinishing. It looks great right now. Now he says he enjoyed the work, it kept him active and out of trouble. OK, he's 84 and maybe if he was younger he'd would have been able to get it done quicker. But it was a whole load of work no matter who you are.

Point is; I believe it will take huge amounts of time to keep a "naturally" finished log exterior looking great. If that is a future one can face then have at it. All the more power to ya'll. For me, I'd rather apply good paint once a decade and have time for other things. I will do an annual inspection of all the caulking points that matter. I did that one afternoon this summer. Then we hiked down the mountain and interrupted Ronald and his work with a bottle of wine.

So there it is; we still like the appearance of the nicely finished log siding. But I am pretty sure that if we had it ours would end up being painted at some time.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

astidham

Hey Al,
when I was putting up my log siding, Don_p said it would be a good Idea to put screws into the log through the sheathing from inside the house. that will keep the siding from moving to much.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

ajbremer

That's awesome stories and advice! I hope to hear more.

suburbancowboy

I have loved the look of the log siding on my cabin.  It was a lot of extra work and expense but turned out great.  Like Don mentioned it will take a lot of maintenance every other year or so.  I had some of the 16 footers and ended up cutting them in half after the first couple.  Almost all had warping and straightness issue.  I also had several that cracked.  I was up there today and finished the chalking of the joints and cracks. Funny thing to note.  It is dec 1 and I can still drive to my place at 8000 feet in my truck. 

ajbremer

12/03/2012

Thanks for letting me know that suburban cowboy.

Just wanting to be clear, did you cut your 16 footers so that they wouldn't twist as much? Also, you mentioned that some of them cracked, did the crack run along the grain horizontally and did the cracks go all the way through the wood? One more, what size and type of wood is your log-siding? I've been looking at 1x6 SYP. I probably should just go back to your thread and check things out.

Thank you for letting me know those things suburban cowboy.

Don_P

Al, generally log siding is made from a 2x8 and is 1-1/2" thick at the thickest point of the belly, are you using something different? Using screws from the backside I've been able to pull full length twisted siding flat to the wall. Working with the angle of the screws you can pull crooked boards down to the lap of the board on the wall. Joints are a leak point in any siding job, try hard not to cut the lengths down, I've never had to. On large timbers a check or crack is inevitable, on log siding I would not accept much in the way of checking, that would be a drying defect in a piece of wood of lumber thickness, accept no more checking than you would in a pack of 2x8 lumber. If there is no relief groove in the back, flat side, of the siding I've found it seats better if you run the power planer down the middle of the length of the backs. Prestaining all sides and hitting the fresh cut ends with stain helps durability.

NM_Shooter

I'm with Don. 

I strongly considered log siding, as I love the look of log cabins.  But I have seen too many that look horrible in just a short time due to weathering and sun damage.  Here in NM we have a lot of UV and it eats through finish like crazy.  But I've seen cabins in the NW that get rotted out due to moisture. 

I went with hardiboard lap siding and have not looked back!
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Huge29

Quote from: NM_Shooter on December 03, 2012, 09:50:56 AM
I'm with Don. 

I strongly considered log siding, as I love the look of log cabins.  But I have seen too many that look horrible in just a short time due to weathering and sun damage.  Here in NM we have a lot of UV and it eats through finish like crazy.  But I've seen cabins in the NW that get rotted out due to moisture. 

I went with hardiboard lap siding and have not looked back!
I am leaning that direction too for our garage; can you share some pics?  Thanks! 

NM_Shooter

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"