EPB Bracket in 20 x 30 Plans...

Started by ajbremer, July 23, 2011, 06:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajbremer

My countryplans for the 20 x 30 say to use EPB Bracket or Equal. If I follow the plans and use those brackets on all 12 piers, that means that the whole house basically sits on threaded rod, right? If so, will that do, have many people done it? As the house (if the house) settles after time, can those be adjusted to compensate?

I think I read somewhere that those EPB brackets are meant for 4 x 4 post. I plan to use 5 x 5 post, can I still use them?
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

MountainDon

EPB's are non adjustable according to this info, They are meant to be used to hold the wood elevated off the concrete by 1 to 2 1/2 inches.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/EPB.asp

Made for 4x4 and 6x6 timber(3 9/16 and 5 1/2 actual)

What is the actual foundation you are planning? Concrete pier with beam on the EPB? Concrete pier with wood post on top with the EPB and then beam on the wood post? (Not the best in being able to resist horizontal forces IMO). 

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

Here is a larger list of post bases. These will connect a wood post of various sizes to concrete work such as a pier, wall or slab.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/categories/post_bases.html
None of us are as smart as all of us.

ajbremer

My first plan is to follow my countryplans 20 x 30 plans for the pier and beam (post). Where it shows the dug hole and then gravel on the bottom with a 2 x 12 plate on top of that and then the 6 x 6 post on top of that. BUT, I have a chance to get some square metal hollow channel that's about 5 x 5, I'm not sure what gauge it is but it's pretty thick. I can use them as piers instead of the 6 x 6 treated post. Then they can never rot, are stronger than wood, and also be totally insect proof. Have you heard anyone doing that?

Don_P

With an adequate angle welded on top and a few gussets it would take care of the lateral problem and the perimeter girders.

ajbremer

UK4X4

"Then they can never rot"

mmmm you don't have rust where you are ?

John Raabe

Interesting solution. Take pics as this progresses.
None of us are as smart as all of us.